PDA

View Full Version : Considering becoming a childminder

tamatzu
11-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi, I have a 6 month old boy and I have to go back to work now due to financial committments. My son will be going to nursery full time. I have recently decided that I wish to become a childminder myself. I have to work at my company for a year. Can anyone tell me the best way to train to be a childminder whilst still at work. Also how easy is it to set up and get children to look after. I live in the Ruislip/Eastcote/Pinner area. I guess there is no point if there is no demand in this area.

Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tara

deeb66
11-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi.

I have moved this thread from the vacancies area :)

The best place to start would to contact your local Children's Information Service (CIS) and book yourself on the inital briefing meeting.

This will give you information about your area and what you have to do to become a registered childminder.

You could also look on the CIS website for your area and see how many minders there are advertising vacancies.

There is also lots of information in this section of the forum that will also be able to help you.

Don't forget to pop into the 'Say Hello' section and introduce yourself to the members :thumbsup:

tamatzu
11-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi Dee,

Thank you very much! As you can probably tell I am new to all of this!

I have had a look at the CIS site and there are number of childminders, but they do not seem to have many vacancies which I guess is a good thing.

I have also registered for an overview meeting with my local council in a few weeks so that should all be good.

Tara x

breezy
11-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Just wanted to say hi,
Dee has already given you all the advice you need, good luck getting started:)

tamatzu
11-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks and hi!!

x

angeldelight
11-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Good advice from Dee

Just wanted to say good luck

Angel xx

yvonne
12-05-2008, 03:07 PM
:)
Hi, I have a 6 month old boy and I have to go back to work now due to financial committments. My son will be going to nursery full time. I have recently decided that I wish to become a childminder myself. I have to work at my company for a year. Can anyone tell me the best way to train to be a childminder whilst still at work. Also how easy is it to set up and get children to look after. I live in the Ruislip/Eastcote/Pinner area. I guess there is no point if there is no demand in this area.

Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tara

Just wanted to say hi and good luck i know what you are going through, im in the prosess to of becoming a childminder. Im getting fed up at my work as there are changed being made and im not happy about it, and all i want to do is look after children, so the only way i can still do this is set up on my own. I will miss all the kids at my work very much and the staff i work with, but i need to think of me for a change. Sorry for going on once i start i cant stop. Good luck again and i hope we chat again soon. Yvonne

deeb66
12-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi Dee,

Thank you very much! As you can probably tell I am new to all of this!

I have had a look at the CIS site and there are number of childminders, but they do not seem to have many vacancies which I guess is a good thing.

I have also registered for an overview meeting with my local council in a few weeks so that should all be good.

Tara x

No probs.....happy to help

Good news about not many vacancies in your area.......hopefully that means that there is a need for more minders.

Glad to hear you have got yourself on a meeting.....they will also be able to answer some of your questions about the need for more minders in your area.

Good luck