PDA

View Full Version : How to get parents to stick to times

the_nanny_uk2
15-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Ok my setting like many others in the area operate on a day rate basis and we advertise our opening times as being from 8am - 5.30pm sooooo...

If parent has given you set times each day, lets say 4pm, of when they will be picking their angels up but then dont turn up until an hour later how do broach the subject?

My mindee was supposed to be picked up today at 4pm, mother acknowledged this at 11am but then didnt turn up until 5pm tonight saying she had to do a Maths exam at the last minute. Now I'm sure a college that knows this mother has to find childcare for their child would tell her in advance if she had a later finish. We were left waiting about for her, not knowing whether to give mindee a feed which he was clearly longing for or hold off until she got here. As we had walked home from school as well we could've all gone on the park in this glorious sunshine.

I think she clearly thinks that as I work to 5.30pm it doesnt matter if she is late picking him up.

Any ideas please x

Ripeberry
15-09-2011, 06:53 PM
I find that when parents pay by the hour then it concentrates their will to turn up on time. Daily rates are OK,but parents will turn up late because in effect they are paying until your closing time.
But they should be fair and let you know if they will be late :mad:

candy cat
15-09-2011, 07:01 PM
get tough!!! START a late pick up charge she will then pick up on the dot!:) not acceptable to turn up like that without a phone call.....tell her if it happens again her contract times need changing.good luck

sarah707
15-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Hmmm that's the problem with charging a day rate I'm afraid. If you are receiving money for it then you have to be available to work until the end of the daily hours.

I wonder if this parent would be better on an hourly rate?

Or maybe finding you if you go out?

Hth :D

The Juggler
15-09-2011, 08:13 PM
so rude not to tell you she's going to be late and so upsetting for little one not to know when parents are going to be arriving :panic:

however, I do agree, you might be better moving htis parent to an hourly rate. However, you haven't actually said you charge a daily rate - if you don't then you sit her down, explain these are your contract times, you NEED to let me know if you will be late and ask if it's ok with me, I will charge for extra time and if you don't let me know you'll be late it will be charged at £x/per 15 mins.:thumbsup:

miffy
16-09-2011, 06:59 AM
I think she clearly thinks that as I work to 5.30pm it doesnt matter if she is late picking him up.

That is often what happens when you charge a daily rate. But she is out of order not letting you know she would be late.

Miffy xx

singlewiththree
16-09-2011, 09:19 AM
I stopped charging for the day for that exact problem and now charge by the hour and usually know exactly when the parents are coming, although sometimes they arrive early and have to text me to find out where we are