PDA

View Full Version : how old is too old for a cot

foxy lady
13-09-2011, 11:31 AM
my son was 2 mid july this year, he sleeps a 10/11 hour night ,goes to bed with any trouble and does not try to climb out and seems to like his cot. what age do you think is too old for a cot as people keep telling me i should put him in a bed now. im happy with him in his cot and its a large cot he seems to have plenty of room in it. what do you think?

rosebud
13-09-2011, 11:36 AM
He can stay in it as long as you are happy. As long as he has enough room in it and can't climb out of it then do what makes you happy and ignore everyone else!

clio0602
13-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Dd has a cotbed and had the sides on til she was 2.5yrs then I took 1 side off as she started climbing out. I'd say if there is enough room and doesn't climb out its fine for as long as you both wish x

Rubybubbles
13-09-2011, 12:31 PM
ds was 13 months (climber)

dd was 3 and 2 months! she would still be in same position 12 hours later:laughing: infact even now when we check on her she is:laughing:

singingcactus
13-09-2011, 01:16 PM
I would suggest having a child out of a cot a good couple of months prior to beginning potty training. Potty training overnight is hard enough without having a change of sleeping arrangements to contend with. So for me my kids were out of cots by 12 months for the twins, 15 months for the third cos we'd just moved so wanted to keep him in the same sleeping arrangements for a little longer till he was used to the new bedroom.

mushpea
13-09-2011, 07:38 PM
my daughter was 14months,, she climbed out of the cot and fell and was lucky not to bang her head on a nearby unit,, we took the sliding side of the cot and nailed a home made bedgaurd on to it and she loved her big bed,, my son was older when he came out but he didnt climb out.

snufflepuff
13-09-2011, 07:44 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
If he's happy, sleeps well, doesn't try to climb out- leave things as they are.

DS was 15 months when he went in to a big bed- he always hated the cot and spent more time in our bed, and he could climb out.

Ali56
13-09-2011, 07:49 PM
I'd say leave him too! :D
We had a large cot and DD2 was a big baby/toddler but she stayed in there till she was 2 3/4 and didn't fit anymore! Why change if you and your son are happy just the way things are? What does it matter if he's in a cot or a bed?
We all do things differently so not up to us to tell each other how to!! (Unless advice asked for, of course!):)
When he's ready to move he'll let you know!

jmoff
13-09-2011, 08:00 PM
My twins turned 2 in april and are still in a cot bed. There is no way I am taking the sides off...yet!:) They would give up their pm nap and no chance of a lie in with them either :)

whatever works best for you!

PixiePetal
13-09-2011, 08:08 PM
DD was just over 2 - I was pregnant with DS by then and she was potty training so seemed sensible to do it before baby came along. Hadn't put the sides up for a while though - even then she stayed put all night and in the morning too till we got up :)

DS was out by 20 months - he was a big baby and filled it, getting his arms stuck in the bars as he turned about. He went in a bed with a Tomy safety guard thing added on the side. He had the guard to stop him falling out till he was about 6 yrs old :rolleyes: He is like me in that he tosses and turns in his sleep so fell out regularly if not - well I don't fall out now :laughing: We even had to take the guard on holidays.

I would say leave him if there is no other reason, other than age, making you think of doing it. Enjoy the peace :thumbsup: