PDA

View Full Version : What are the parents opinions

mrsb
10-05-2008, 07:43 PM
when you raise your fees?

I've only raised mine once so far, one of the parents were fine but the other one insisted on going and checking her contract to see if I had stated fee rises in there, she came back to me and said I'd not stipulated in the contract that I would raise my fees while I cared for her child so she wasn't happy:eek:

anyone else had adverse reactions lol

Also byu how much do you raise yours? I went from £3.25 to £3.50:)

miffy
10-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Oh dear poor you - I've never had a parent say that to me before - I wonder if she never expects a pay rise whilst working for her employer :laughing:

I don't think your last rise was excessive but when did you put your rates up? I only raise my fees every 12 to 18 months

Good luck

miffy xx

Chimps Childminding
10-05-2008, 07:52 PM
I think that was a fair increase, everyone else gets a pay rise annually are we not allowed?:angry: I increase mine when i review contracts each year, mine usually goes up by 10/20p an hour - I find it easier to work out the bills when its rounded up to the nearest 10p - my brain doesn't work very well at the best of times!! :laughing: none of my parents have ever commented - perhaps they are too scared!!!! :laughing: :laughing:

mrsb
10-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Oh dear poor you - I've never had a parent say that to me before - I wonder if she never expects a pay rise whilst working for her employer :laughing:

I don't think your last rise was excessive but when did you put your rates up? I only raise my fees every 12 to 18 months

Good luck

miffy xx

It was about 2 years ago now that I last put mine up lol.

A parents contract is due for renewal in July so I thought maybe I would put it up, I was thinking by 15p this time which would make me on £3.75 an hour but I have 2 children frm the same family, do you think it is too much?

miffy
10-05-2008, 08:03 PM
No not if you haven't put them up for 2 years.

You just have to watch that you are still comparable with other child care in your area but also don't forget that a lot of parents get help with their childcare costs

I don't think what you are asking is unreasonable

miffy xx

wendywu
10-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Tell this parent to get a grip! Does she live in a bubble, you could possibly care for a single child for 13 or so years. Does she expect you keep the rate the same no matter how many years you care for her child. I think she is away with the fairies and desperately needs a reality check.:eek:

mrsb
10-05-2008, 08:15 PM
lol Thanks all, Wendy I don't look after her anymore, she's been through 2 more childminders since leaving me 18 months ago :laughing:

Minding round where i am varies from £3.50 to £5 so i'll still be one of the lowest I think :)

Thanks guys :)

Mollymop
10-05-2008, 08:20 PM
I said to my new parents when we signed contracts that I was cheaper than most in my area and they said that when we renew contracts next year I should put my prices up. They were all for it! They didn't seem to mind as the tax credits some of thier fees so it doesn't make that much difference. But what with the cost of living increasing all the time it's to be expected that our fees will rise at some point.
Sorry this parent is not so understanding towards you, but stick to your guns, babe.

feml
20-05-2008, 10:00 PM
As a parent, l have been searching for support in regards to childminding regulations and stumbled upon this site. My childminder has raised her rate by £1.00 and has not had the children more than 6 months. I now have to pay £270 per week for 2 children. l get support, therefore l have to pay £360 per month, l only earn £598, then the fuel for the 25 mile drive too work.

So tell me this why did you all start childminding as it sound to me that you are a law to yourselfs and more concerend about making money than the well fair of the children and there mum and dad. You complain when parents feel the pinch and have such a high opinion of yoursefls. Your posting are disgusting on your employees that are earning a lot less than what you are charging. And, no not everybody gets paid bank holidays or get days in liu or pay rises that match your increases, l get none of these luxerys. I have never complained to my childminder, l have had no need to until l read this site. My childminder is brilliant but she is to expensive for what l earn. I am appauled by your comments! l need to work to support our BASIC bills but would love even more to stay at home with my children. I can not afford to do either. My question to you is "What do l do!" as you seem to have all the answers.

charleyfarley
20-05-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm sorry if your minder has put her fees up within 6 months most of us don't do this for at least 12 months. Perhaps you should discuss your gripe with her

I must say though none of us are doing this career, as childminding is a career, for the money,we don't even receive miniumum wage.

I used a childminder myself for my son and even though I knew I would be out of pocket I still sent him there. You need to look to the future.

We are certainly not out for ourselves, do you realise the amount of work your childminder does for your children?
Our day doesn't stop when the children leave, it carries on with endless amount of paperwork, planning and courses.

I'm sorry if you think I'm coming across as harsh I don't mean to be but I am definatley not in it for the money, if I was I would have tripled my fees by now.

Carol xx

tulip0803
20-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I can understand that you are very upset that your childminder has dramatically increased her fees and in your position I would be too. I think the majority of childminders would not increase their fees so dramatically or so soon.

I also have to work to pay the household bills at the moment I am working in a very stressful job. Before my DD started school she went to a childminder and I struggled to pay her at times and I only had one child going, the others were already at school but I understood that my childminder was doing a job to pay her bills too. The bills are increasing for everyone, unfortunately, and the childminders have to pay the same as everyone else.

I am registering as a childminder to give good quality care to families BUT I need the income to pay my bills. In this area the going rate is a lot cheaper than many areas of the country but the cost of living is different. As a childminder it is sometimes possible that you are only caring for one child so your income will be a lot less than minimum wage you have to plan for this. I am registering so I am available for my own children but I will care for other people's children with the same thought and care as I do my own.

Each childminder is registered as a seperate business and as such their fees and terms and conditions vary. All childminders have to work to their governing body's and the NCMA's standards but we are also trying to earn a living doing a very important job that is not recognised as such by a lot of people.

Childminders use more elec/gas/heating oil because they have to keep the house warm & light all day during the winter. They use more water, cleaning products, toilet rolls, tissues. They have to fund thier courses, pay for petrol supply food/snacks/drinks. They have to pay for insurance, public liability, business use on car and home. There are registration fees. That is before they have to buy the equipment/toys/craft stuff. There are the endless hours of planning, observations, policy writing that is a part of the standards that childminders work to. After all the expenditure is taken into account it is possible for a childminder to earn less that 5 or 6 thousand pounds in a year for a full 40 hour week (not including courses and paperwork) - which is a lot less than minimum wage. It works out at £2.40-£2.88 an hour.

I am sorry if you feel that childminders are not caring about the children or the parents but you could not be more wrong the majority will bend-over backwards as you will see if you read the posts from minders who are not getting paid for weeks/months by parents. But if childminders do not cover their own outgoings there will be no childcare because they will be bankrupt.

I hope you feel able to speak to your childminder and ask her the reasons. I am sorry that you are so unhappy.

crazybones
21-05-2008, 06:24 AM
I am sorry you are upset that your childminder had put up her fees and you are not happy about that but it is a matter you should take up with her. Why did you chose this childminder? Is her service worth the fees? Are her fees in line with other childminders in the area?

I cannot add much to Tulips wonderful post but I agree with everything she has said. A lot of parents do not understand all the extras we have to pay out before we even make any money. I have actually not made a proft at all this year yet as since the start of April I have paid out more than I have earned on resources, Ofsted registration, NCMA membership, Public liability insurance, a camera to take pictures of what we are doing in order to prove I am meeting the National Standards and providing the children with a variety of experiences and a trip to Manchester to the Early Years Exhibilition to see what was available for the children I mind. This also involved giving up a whole Saturday with my family over and above the 42 hours a week I work. I also spend unpaid weekends and evenings planning activitys and completing online coursework. Why do I do all this? I do it because I love my job and I love the children. I earn less than £80 per week profit for this job. Would you work that many hours and give up that much of your free time for your job?

miffy
21-05-2008, 06:41 AM
I find your post very offensive feml - but I think that was the intention.

You clearly equate what a childminder charges as their profit.

Hopefully the above posts have put you straight on that.

If you are not happy with what you are paying your childminder then it is her you should be speaking to.

Miffy

angeldelight
21-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Sorry you feel like that and agree with the others

I agree with Miffy you obviously have issues with your childminder so it is her you should be speaking to about this

Maybe you should get to know us all a little before judging us all in the same way?

Angel xx

Spangles
21-05-2008, 07:07 AM
I too found your post very offensive and insulting.

I am sorry that your childminder has increased her fees so drastically, maybe you should have a chat with her about it.

Everyone's fees and terms are different as we are in different parts of the country and all offer different slightly different services. Some childminders include food and drinks and outings in their fees so may charge higher, some charge lower but the parent pays for these on top. Some parts of the country are more expensive than others.

I don't know if this will help you, it's a document I have in my welcome pack:

So, what exactly is included in my £4.00 per hour fee?

This list will give you some idea of what the hourly fee pays for (in no particular order):

 Warm, welcoming and safe environment
 My personal time and care
 Use of toys and equipment
 Child’s Daily Diary – 0 to 3 years
 Time spent planning activities and themes
 Time spent observing children and completing reports
 Time spent attending training courses in evenings and weekends to ensure up-to-date knowledge of childcare and best practice
 Time preparing items ready for arts and crafts, baking, etc
 Shopping for supplies
 First Aider
 Baby signing
 Time planning for meeting Birth to Three and eventually Early Years Foundation Stage
 Wear and tear to home and belongings
 Increased car insurance – business cover
 Increased home insurance
 NCMA membership
 Ofsted annual fee
 Public liability insurance
 Fees for toddler group
 Petrol for trips to library and park, etc
 Wear and tear to car
 Purchase of arts and crafts materials
 Purchase of new toys and equipment such as car seats and booster seats, just recently purchased an outside playhouse
 Purchase of foods and drink for lunch and snacks
 Purchase of cooking, baking ingredients
 Purchase of administrative items
 My wages

Plus much, much more that I haven’t thought to include!

I try to have one child at a time as much as possible so I don't even earn minimum wage. I love being with children and put all of my energy into them, even when they are not here by typing up obs and making plans for their development.

I truly am insulted by your message this morning.

miffy
21-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Well said Spangles - I love your list

miffy xx

crazybones
21-05-2008, 07:20 AM
The more I have thought about it this morning the more upset I have felt about this post. If you came on here to be insulting to childminders as a profession then I feel you have achieved your goal. Although I do hope these replies have changed your perceptions.

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 07:33 AM
As a parent, l have been searching for support in regards to childminding regulations and stumbled upon this site. My childminder has raised her rate by £1.00 and has not had the children more than 6 months. I now have to pay £270 per week for 2 children. l get support, therefore l have to pay £360 per month, l only earn £598, then the fuel for the 25 mile drive too work.

So tell me this why did you all start childminding as it sound to me that you are a law to yourselfs and more concerend about making money than the well fair of the children and there mum and dad. You complain when parents feel the pinch and have such a high opinion of yoursefls. Your posting are disgusting on your employees that are earning a lot less than what you are charging. And, no not everybody gets paid bank holidays or get days in liu or pay rises that match your increases, l get none of these luxerys. I have never complained to my childminder, l have had no need to until l read this site. My childminder is brilliant but she is to expensive for what l earn. I am appauled by your comments! l need to work to support our BASIC bills but would love even more to stay at home with my children. I can not afford to do either. My question to you is "What do l do!" as you seem to have all the answers.

I can only echo what everyone else has said. I am sorry you feel this way and would suggest you speak to your childminder. You have the option to look at other childcare provisions in your area and make an informed choice if you are not happy with your current childcare.

As is your right you have expressed your opinion but as is our right we have a right to reply.

We are not a "law unto ourselves" - we are self employed people and as such set our own rates - generally that is in line with our training, service, local area etc. We have other expenses and outgoings BEFORE we take our "wage" - again I think you will see in others posts exactly what we have to shell out before we get to our living.

We have a "high opinion" of ourselves - no we are a Childminding Forum and support each other - its very hard to balance home/work life as I am sure you can appreciate, its pretty nervewracking speaking to parents about financial issues and others issues such as their childs behaviour (we are very aware that children are the apple of the parents eye). In saying that there aren't many people who can do what the majority of us mindes do and do well - look after (several/other peoples) children in their own home. Our families have to put up with a lot as do we - our homes resembling nurseries, complying with regulations, people coming in and out. Its not like a nursery where you clock of at 3.30pm (or whatever time) and go home and forget about it. Many minders are very aware of a parents needs and many of us go over and above our duties and shave of bits of the bill here and there. Nurseries and other private daycare would not be as understanding or accomodating as what many childminders are, nurseries certainly wouldn't take the truck that we often have to put up with and parents certainly wouldn't dare to behave and treat nursery staff they way many parents think they can do to us.

We do appreciate that not all parents are getting "luxuries" (we either work a bank/public holiday or we don't and don't get paid for it, employed persons will more often than not get xxx paid holidays per year - we don't) and we really do try to be sympathetic to the parents BUT at the end of the day we are running a business to make a living for our families - just the same as you are going out to work.

Thanks for the "flip" side - the parents view. None of us on here have the view of "them and us" - as I say its a minding forum and we discuss minding issues. Hopefully if you have a really good look around you will see how hard we work and our "flip" side.

Someone else quoted on here a while back -

Good Childcare isn't expensive - its invaluable!

wendywu
21-05-2008, 07:53 AM
£1.00 raise and she has cared for your children for less than 6 months! Maybe she is trying to force you to leave by making her service too expensive. And with an attitude like yours i dont blame her. :angry:

I childmind because i love children, i am a fully qualified Beauty Therapist but i took a drop in money because it was important to me be be at home with my own two daughters while they grew up. I wanted to take them to school and pick them up. Now when my own two are grown i still care for children because i think every child has a right to a childhood and i can provide that along with love and laughter.

To get what you want in life you have to cut your cloth accordingly.

caza
21-05-2008, 09:15 AM
I think its sad that you saw fit to come onto this site and judge everyone on it without even taking the time to get to know anyone. If you had taken the time to speak to people fairly instead of diving straight in with the insults you would have realised that the childminders on this site are anything but selfish and would generally bend over backwards to help the people they care for. Although I suspect you have already realised this due to your lack of response.

As everyone has said if you have problem with way your childminder works it her you should speak instead of taking you frustration out on everyone here. You have been very unfair and have obviously not taken into consideration the fact that childminders are still normal people with bills (more than most due to childminding) mortgages and general living costs to pay for!

Caroline

barbarella68
21-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Oh my God.
I can't believe what I have just read on here.:angry:
How dare Feml(I see she hasn't replied to our posts, wonder why?)talk to us like that!
I would like to know what job you do Feml?
Over the years I have done quite a few jobs due to redundancy,moving and the like,so I have done quite a variety of jobs.Childminding is the hardest job I have ever done.My weekends are taken up by courses and paperwork and like Feml we still have money worries (after all I am not helped out by the government),my husbands overtime has been stopped until further notice.I charge £3.25 an hour and I was £3.00 until last September when I put my fees up after 3 years.
Do you get a wage rise every year Feml?
Perhaps if you think that Childminders have such a good time why don't you train to be one,you would give up within 6 months because it would be too much like hard work.:p

NikNak
21-05-2008, 09:47 AM

So tell me this why did you all start childminding as it sound to me that you are a law to yourselfs and more concerend about making money than the well fair of the children and there mum and dad. You complain when parents feel the pinch and have such a high opinion of yoursefls. Your posting are disgusting on your employees that are earning a lot less than what you are charging. And, no not everybody gets paid bank holidays or get days in liu or pay rises that match your increases, l get none of these luxerys. I have never complained to my childminder, l have had no need to until l read this site. My childminder is brilliant but she is to expensive for what l earn. I am appauled by your comments! l need to work to support our BASIC bills but would love even more to stay at home with my children. I can not afford to do either. My question to you is "What do l do!" as you seem to have all the answers.If you would love to stay at home with your children then please feel free to do so. We are not stopping you, it is your choice to go out to work and use the services of a childminder. Every person in this world is individual. You cannot possibly make comments on childminders as a whole. This forum is only the same as someone who goes out of the home to their job having a chat or exchange of information or a gossip (shock horror we are only normal)! Dont be so judgmental and take things so seriously. Like I said before if you dont like it go elsewhere.

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Understandably we are fairly outrage/upset by Feml comments - but perhaps she is just giving us a "flip side" - the parents view guys and I guess she is pretty upset with what probably seems like a massive raise to her. Sometimes when we are posting things can come across wrong (inflection and facial expression is missing).

Like has been suggested perhaps she needs to talk to her childminder who she seems happy with in general?? If Feml has a good look around the site she will perhaps learn that we are a bunch of dedicated professionals who are trying our best and hasn't quite expressed herself correctly in the "lions den".

We are more than happy to have parents on here but we do not appreciate having generalisations made about us

Just trying to be diplomatic xxx

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 10:50 AM

I've only raised mine once so far, one of the parents were fine but the other one insisted on going and checking her contract to see if I had stated fee rises in there, she came back to me and said I'd not stipulated in the contract that I would raise my fees while I cared for her child so she wasn't happy:eek:

To get back to the original question

There have been no problems when I have raised my fees. I have also stayed competitive and make sure I offer value for money but making sure I try to cover my overheads and have a little bit left over to treat myself (well ok the kids!!!!).

I always give parents written notice of intention to up the fees and approx 4wks notice. I am happy to discuss with them and they are always free to contact other minders if they wish to take their business elsewhere. I only try to review my fees once a year - generally at contract renewal.

LOOPYLISA
21-05-2008, 10:52 AM
all i can say is you should mabe think about changing your childminder!:angry: , im just starting out, and cannot wait !

LOOPYLISA
21-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Oh my God.
I can't believe what I have just read on here.:angry:
How dare Feml(I see she hasn't replied to our posts, wonder why?)talk to us like that!
I would like to know what job you do Feml?
Over the years I have done quite a few jobs due to redundancy,moving and the like,so I have done quite a variety of jobs.Childminding is the hardest job I have ever done.My weekends are taken up by courses and paperwork and like Feml we still have money worries (after all I am not helped out by the government),my husbands overtime has been stopped until further notice.I charge £3.25 an hour and I was £3.00 until last September when I put my fees up after 3 years.
Do you get a wage rise every year Feml?
Perhaps if you think that Childminders have such a good time why don't you train to be one,you would give up within 6 months because it would be too much like hard work.:p
Couldnt say better myself x:thumbsup:

wendywu
21-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Talking to people in that manner she would not get many parents. She obivously did not take the course HOW TO MAKE FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE.

As i always say "Good manners dont cost anything" :panic:

Spangles
21-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Reading the message again it seems as if feml thinks childminders somehow 'owe' her something.

It's not her childminder's fault that she has to drive 25 miles to work and it's not her childminders responsibility to subsidise her childcare because she finds it hard to afford.

Childminding is our business, it's our way of earning some money whilst doing something we love. Do people really think we should be doing it as a 'favour' to them so that they can go out and earn and we can make their lives a little easier?

Some people's attitude towards childminders is bewildering to say the least!

Sorry to comment on the message again but it's really wound me up and I keep thinking about it!

nana
21-05-2008, 01:44 PM
I have read all the posts regarding FEM1's posting. Am quite surprised at the ferocity of some of the replies I have to say.
I was interested in the breakdown of costs,and was wondering ,have you accountants? as you do know that many of the items mentioned are tax deductable,also depreciation on assets.
I sympathise with Fem1 obviously she has thought her childminder was secure and after 6 months to be told she was raising her fees by £1 per child seems to be quite a large hype to me that is a rise of 25 % per child, wage rises are governed at around 2 1/2%,I think we all would love a 25% wage rise per hour we would be laughing all the way to the bank.
Yes childminders work hard as do mums and Nanas,I only wish the government would allow grandparents and near relatives to help in cases of childminding it would solve many problems and those close to a family would understand the financial situation better.
I to have gone on courses I feed young children daily and have to ensure their well being,no slacking in hygene or anything like that lol I would love to get £4 per child for even 2 hours I would be going on a world cruise for my holidays.
Perhaps stricter guidelines are needed to protect parents and children,as you all say good child care is invaluable well so is childrens peace of mind and wellbeing and you must appreciate that switching childminders is very traumatic for the child and his or her parents.
Again I would suggest you find out about the tax benifits of being self employed as there are many,you know as well you can claim for a share of heating costs as an overhead ? using a room as an office?
Best of luck and remember mums do work hard and do worry and do not like being let down by people in whom they have placed their trust.

Blaze
21-05-2008, 02:07 PM
The only response i can give to some of the comments on here is that maybe Nana & Fem should register & actually walk a few miles in the shoes of a childminder!

Blaze
21-05-2008, 02:08 PM
PS Grandparents can look after their grandchildren, but if the parent's want to receive tax credit childcare element then they have to register & care for others as well. As far as an accountant goes...I wish I could afford one...let alone a world cruise!!!!!

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Hmmm Nana

I understand wher eyou are coming from.

Many of us do have accountants or use an accountancy service BUT again that is another expenses we can often ill afford. The breakdown of costs doesn't include everything just so you know. We all know how to fill in our own accounts and submit them.

Its a shame Spangles thread has been hijacked in this fashion.

But in answer to you Fem1 has come on childminding forum and attack the minding profession in general, rather than going to her minder and trying to speak about it.

Many of us do not get anywhere near £4 an hour (it varies across the country) and if your area is in a slump as mine is - at the moment I am not working despite advertising etc and being nowhere near £4ph. Again hmmm £4ph - no where near the minimum wage which is what people will be on if they are "going out" to work.
Not many of us do plan our summer cruises - I would be very interested to see how you budget and save for this - even at £4ph. Registered Childminding will not make you a millionaire!

Just so you know - yes us minders work as hard as mums/dads/nanas BUT we are not the parents - we are Professional Childcare Providers - have a look at our qualifications! We are providing a childcare service equivelent and/or over and above Playworkers, Nursery workers etc. We are heavily inspected and regulated. We do a lot of work outside of the contracted hours etc.

Many of us do mind families children and regardless of they are family or not us Childminders are more often more aware of (financial) needs, requirements and problems that a nursery certainly wouldn't entertain (oh I can't pay you this week I forgot to go to the bank.....)

No childminder worth their salt would even dream of "letting" their families down without justifiable reason or cause - Reg Childminders more often go the extra mile than any over childcare provision.

ma7ie
21-05-2008, 02:17 PM
The only response i can give to some of the comments on here is that maybe Nana & Fem should register & actually walk a few miles in the shoes of a childminder!

Well said Blaze.

Unless you have done that, how dare you judge us.

I am a childminder and a parent and I choose to stay at home with my child in order to give her the best start in life. Childminding gave me that chance.

Yes, I childmind for money but also because I love children. Would you do it for nothing? We all have to make a living. I earn £2.75 per hour, would you do that? Again I do it for my daughter.

I had a very good job, earning significantly more money than I am earning now but I chose my daughter over that.

It is not our fault that you have to work.

If you have issues with your childminder then I advise you to discuss them with her instead of attacking us.

wendywu
21-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Blaze that sounds like a country and weston song title "Walk a few miles in the shoes of a childminder": laughing:

I will go and get my cowboy boots out.:thumbsup:

Banana
21-05-2008, 02:49 PM
I have read all the posts regarding FEM1's posting. Am quite surprised at the ferocity of some of the replies I have to say.
I was interested in the breakdown of costs,and was wondering ,have you accountants? as you do know that many of the items mentioned are tax deductable,also depreciation on assets.
I sympathise with Fem1 obviously she has thought her childminder was secure and after 6 months to be told she was raising her fees by £1 per child seems to be quite a large hype to me that is a rise of 25 % per child, wage rises are governed at around 2 1/2%,I think we all would love a 25% wage rise per hour we would be laughing all the way to the bank.
Yes childminders work hard as do mums and Nanas,I only wish the government would allow grandparents and near relatives to help in cases of childminding it would solve many problems and those close to a family would understand the financial situation better.I to have gone on courses I feed young children daily and have to ensure their well being,no slacking in hygene or anything like that lol I would love to get £4 per child for even 2 hours I would be going on a world cruise for my holidays.
Perhaps stricter guidelines are needed to protect parents and children,as you all say good child care is invaluable well so is childrens peace of mind and wellbeing and you must appreciate that switching childminders is very traumatic for the child and his or her parents.
Again I would suggest you find out about the tax benifits of being self employed as there are many,you know as well you can claim for a share of heating costs as an overhead ? using a room as an office?
Best of luck and remember mums do work hard and do worry and do not like being let down by people in whom they have placed their trust.

How long did it take you both to come up with a little plan of action to try and get our backs up then?

Sorry, I just find it laughable. You aren't childminders, you dont really know what you are talking about and lets face it, you have launched an attack on ALL childminders just because your childminder 'fem' has raised her prices. Dont you think its a bit ridiculous!

Sorry you have had such a large increase in prices - out of curiosity what was the increase from? how much is the houry rate now??

Also 'what do we suggest you do?' Become a childminder, since its such a lucrative profession, why dont you become one, then you can stay home with your children and work at the same time and earn the fortune you think we do! :laughing: (sorry, couldnt stop myself from laughing at the very ridiculous opinion you have with regard to earnings!)

I used to work full time and pay a childminder £400 a month, I earnt £780..... funny enough between my and me partner we didnt get any help with childcare costs, because apparently we earnt too much money..... yeah right, all our money was taxed to high heaven and given out in tax credits to other people! Thats the real joke! I think its lucky you get help with childcare costs!

crazybones
21-05-2008, 02:53 PM
How long did it take you both to come up with a little plan of action to try and get our backs up then?

Sorry, I just find it laughable. You aren't childminders, you dont really know what you are talking about and lets face it, you have launched an attack on ALL childminders just because your childminder 'fem' has raised her prices. Dont you think its a bit ridiculous!

Sorry you have had such a large increase in prices - out of curiosity what was the increase from? how much is the houry rate now??

Also 'what do we suggest you do?' Become a childminder, since its such a lucrative profession, why dont you become one, then you can stay home with your children and work at the same time and earn the fortune you think we do! :laughing: (sorry, couldnt stop myself from laughing at the very ridiculous opinion you have with regard to earnings!)

I used to work full time and pay a childminder £400 a month, I earnt £780..... funny enough between my and me partner we didnt get any help with childcare costs, because apparently we earnt too much money..... yeah right, all our money was taxed to high heaven and given out in tax credits to other people! Thats the real joke! I think its lucky you get help with childcare costs!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

ma7ie
21-05-2008, 02:53 PM
funny enough between my and me partner we didnt get any help with childcare costs, because apparently we earnt too much money..... yeah right, all our money was taxed to high heaven and given out in tax credits to other people! Thats the real joke! I think its lucky you get help with childcare costs!

You took the words right out of my mouth. We too aren't entitled to a penny.

mrsbumbles
21-05-2008, 03:12 PM
I am not only a very good childminder, but i feel i am an extention of everyone of my mindees families, i am there if they need me and they all know they can call on me in times of need, i am happy to help out at weekends, evenings and have even been on call throughout the night :eek:

I love everyone of my mindees and will go beyond the call of duty for them all. i dont just do this job to reep the benifit, i do it because i LOVE it!

what price would you pay to give your child quality childcare where your child feels loved and cared for and a valued part of an extended family?

Pauline
21-05-2008, 03:24 PM
One thing that has interested me in this thread is the fact that both Fem and Nana have come into the forum and been very critical without obviously even having had a look around.

Nana you say - I would suggest you find out about the tax benifits of being self employed as there are many,you know as well you can claim for a share of heating costs as an overhead ? using a room as an office?

You obviously haven't seen the whole section on tax and bookeeping where we discuss all the aspects of what we can and can't claim for. We also have the section on fees and charges where we discuss what is and isn't fair charges.

The decision to charge isn't taken lightly by any childminder, we have to take into account areas needs and parental needs. I and I know many other minders would certainly listen to any parent having difficulties paying, the fact that Fem has maybe (and I do say maybe because we can't have the other minders side of the story) found a minder that hasn't thought things through doesn't mean we should all be tarred with the same brush.

A note to all members:
I'm finding this an interesting debate and would ask everyone to keep it that way please........ keep it on topic, heated is fine, but no resorting to personal attacks please, everyone is welcome to their opinion :)

ruby
21-05-2008, 03:27 PM
sorry but we are so angry :angry:
we are sorry your childminder has raised her fees but that is not our fault and you should not tar us all with the same brush.
we all work very hard for our money
money is only part of the reason we do this job the biggest part is that we like working with children but like everyone we need to make a living at the end of the day
i have been doing this job for 15 yrs and have only put my fees up twice
as me and my daughter say as long as we can make a living we will keep them the same but if we had to put them up then no way would it be by £1.00
maybe you should take this up with your childminder instead of attacking all of the childminders on here who are doing a very good job as far as we can see.

cathy

tulip0803
21-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I would like to point out to Nana that the breakdowns quoted in my post are after taxable deductions and that the childminder could be caring for up to 6 children and only earning £2.50 an hour total from all those children's fees after expences have been taken into account. The childminders wage is not the fee the child's parent pays but for what is left after all expences are taken into account.

I know you care deeply about your grandchildren but the childminders, and nurseries, which tax credits is used to pay are highly trained in the latest childcare and children's learning techniques. These are normally funded by the childminder and done in their spare time. The vast majority of childminders go above and beyond their call of duty. Childminders have a duty to ensure that children are learning during all their time with them and are regularly checked and inspected to ensure that this is happening.

caza
21-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Yes childminders work hard as do mums and Nanas,I only wish the government would allow grandparents and near relatives to help in cases of childminding it would solve many problems and those close to a family would understand the financial situation better.
I to have gone on courses I feed young children daily and have to ensure their well being,no slacking in hygene or anything like that lol I would love to get £4 per child for even 2 hours I would be going on a world cruise for my holidays.

I really think that you should try putting the shoe on the other foot for a moment and think about what it must like from a childminders point of view. I am not yet a registered childminder but I can completely understand this subject has annoyed everyone so much. Many of these women work for less than £3 an hour. Most people wouldn't get out of bed for less than the minimum wage and even then that wouldn't be good enough!

I have been a full time mum struggling to make ends meet. I have also worked from home doing small jobs whilst being a full time mum. I was never entitled to any tax credits as my husband earned enough aparently! So many times i have said how unfair it is that you can pay a fortune for someone else to look after your child yet you get nothing for doing it yourself.

However, never in a million years would I expect any childminder to work for next to nothing just to make my life easier which almost seems to be what your saying. And yes a lot of things may be tax deductable but thats not to say that at the end of the year they are rolling in the money. In fact when I started looking into childming I was suprised at how little childminder earn and I was certainly overwhelmed with the amount work that goes into being a childminder.

FEM1 came on here with the sole purpose of venting her frustration on all the childminders on this site and in the proccess was quite insulting. Many of us childminders included have financial worries just we dont all go round blaming other people for them!

Caroline

Mags
21-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by feml

I READ YOUR POST QUITE EARLY THIS MORNING AND DIDN'T REPLY IMEADIATELY DUE TO THE FACT THAT I FOUND IT TO BE QUITE AN INSULT.
HOWEVER AFTER GIVING IT SOME THOUGHT I HAVE TO SAY THAT I STILL FEEL THE SAME WAY!!!!!!!
SURELY YOU SHOULD BE DISCUSSING THIS WITH YOUR CHILDMINDER?????
IF YOUR CHILDMINDER IS BRILLIANT....AS YOU SAY SHE IS.......WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT THE REST OF US ARE ANY DIFFERENT???
WE ARE JUST THE SAME AS YOU....WE NEED TO MAKE A LIVING....WE MAKE OURS BY DOING SOMETHING THAT WE LOVE!!!!!!!!!

teacake2
21-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi, I have read all the comments about our "two new members who are not happy with childminders", I am beginning to wonder if this is not some sort of set up by the media. Remembering the BBC Whisperer series recently aired, we all know that there are some childminders who do not have the children at the forefront of their business and see it as an easy way to make lots of money, the true childminders among us know what we all offer to our children and our parents and take comments made by the other two as an offence. Do any others think the same way I do or am I just being paranoid?:angry: :angry: :angry:
Teacake2

flora
21-05-2008, 06:59 PM
if their intention was to get a reaction they certainly got one :laughing:

wendywu
21-05-2008, 07:12 PM
I think it is a set up of some kind, or a wind up.:panic:

I think we should adopt the attitude, yer yer what ever, you can think what you like. What ever you say will not affect my life one jot. My parents are happy the children are happy and the proof is i have always been full. End of story :)

Jinx
21-05-2008, 07:42 PM

I have just sent a newsletter to my parents stating that my fees will go up by 30p per hour as of September. (In line with others in my area.) None of them have a problem with it, infact the one parent who gets Tax credits help said she'll put it up straight away!! :thumbsup:

Jinx x

avril
21-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Just read this thread and cannot believe the attitude of our 2 new members :censored:
I started childminding when I had my first child so I could stay at home with my own child and offer support to other parents who felt the need to work. I trained whilst pregnant in the evenings and weekends after finishing a full time job and needless to say found it very tiring but it was what I wanted to do and 5yrs down the line still enjoy, the children and families I have and do work with have been fantastic and I feel priviledged that I can support them and care for their children.
The fact that a childminder has raised her fees by £1 is not our fault so to come on here and to insult childminders from up and down the country is terrible. If feml is not satisfied with her cm , her fees, the mileage she drives to work and the amount she earns do something about it don't insult us.

jaja
21-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi, I have only put my fees up by 50p in the last five years and none of my parents have ever complained, i only increased it because i was the cheapest one in the area and i will inflation (sp?)

NOW i wonder is feml and nana are the same people, dont call me paranoid :blush: BUT they both apparently joined on the same day! they both have the same view! and same way of talking!! and they both have only left one message each, which were left to (in my opinion)to upset, unerve and basically get out backs up!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
They had no real reason to come on here and start this attack on childminders at all.

What do you all think? doesnt it seem strange to you????

cloud9
21-05-2008, 08:11 PM

I to am disgusted:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: that fem1 can come on here and basically put us all down. But what i have also noticed is the fact that this poor child minder who put her fee's up is also being trashed, yet nobody knows her reasons. For example this child minder may be new to the job and it was her first contract and she didn't realize the costs involved in child minding. She then found what she had done and realized she needed to put her fee's up. Are we all saying she's wrong to do this, surely she cant be expected to keep them at the same cost if she has quoted to low. We all run our own business's and have contract reviews and we are all entitled to re-assess them at any point. I dont think its fair this childminder is being criticized for this.

Another thing i noticed was that in the original post it wasn't mentioned how much she was paying before the increase. I'm guessing this lady selected her childminder by the cheapest in her area and is now annoyed because her childminder has realized her prices were to low so has had to re-asses her prices!.:censored: :censored:

Some people are saying we're being to quick to judge this parent but i feel that the childminder is being un-fairly judged.

Oh and one last comment to the parent I am really not surprised if she has just raised her prices to either get you to leave or to compensate her for the fact you are obviously such a pain. :angry:

I also notice that you haven't actually posted again if you had come on here and expressed your opinions in a non aggressive manner you would have found people offering you support and advice on dealing with the issue.

As for nana you clearly know nothing about our accounts or you would realize that even with tax deductibles we still don't take home a lot we do childminding because we love looking after children not because we're gonna become millionaires! good luck trying to go on a cruise with our salaries!

Jinx
21-05-2008, 08:34 PM
How did Nana know that £1 was a 25% increase without knowing the original amount?

Jinx x
aka...Miss Marple :thumbsup:

charleyfarley
21-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Well spotted !!!! Miss Marple

Carol xx

crazybones
21-05-2008, 08:39 PM
How did Nana know that £1 was a 25% increase without knowing the original amount?

Jinx x
aka...Miss Marple :thumbsup:

Aha. Did you just work out Blue's Clue's. :laughing:

Sorry but well done I didnt notice that

jaja
21-05-2008, 08:45 PM
you see what i mean jinx!!!!! i think they are the same person, check out the date they both joined, and they only added to one thread etc etc etc is there any way of checking pauline? to see if we are right. Have to say if i was fem then after the replys she had i wouldnt add another word in her name she clearly upset us all.

And another thought, how would the childminder feel knowing that the parent has been on here basically slagging her off for raising her prices, because if i was the cm then she would be getting immediate notice as of first thing in the morning!!!!! If you are out there cm, get rid. and good luck with raising your prices, at the end of the day its your business and you can decide what business you want and what you charge, you are certainly not employed by parents.

Good luck cm xxxxxxxxxxxx

Pauline
21-05-2008, 08:51 PM
is there any way of checking pauline?

Don't worry, let's just say they have had my undivided attention since arriving :)

Jinx
21-05-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm not sure they are the same person...look at the grammer and spelling, but I'm certain they know each other and did this together!

And what does she mean by this: quote: I have never complained to my childminder, l have had no need to until l read this site.????

So she wasn't going to complain about the £1 increase, but is going to complain about the forum!!!! Why was she on here in the first place? Stranger and stranger!!

Jinx x :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm not sure they are the same person...look at the grammer and spelling, but I'm certain they know each other and did this together!

And what does she mean by this: quote: I have never complained to my childminder, l have had no need to until l read this site.????

So she wasn't going to complain about the £1 increase, but is going to complain about the forum!!!! Why was she on here in the first place? Stranger and stranger!!

Jinx x :thumbsup:

I wonder if her childminder is on this site then???? Or that she has read the posts about fees and thinks her minder is ripping her off! Who knows but I am guessing they won't come back.

Its a shame because it would be nice occasionally to bounce things of parents on here - in a reasonable and adult fashion!

ajs
21-05-2008, 09:22 PM
can't chat off on my round the world cruise in the morning back in 6 months
i'll miss you all

xxx

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 09:28 PM
can't chat off on my round the world cruise in the morning back in 6 months
i'll miss you all

xxx

Only for 6 months - mine is for 9months:p See you in the Med!!!

ajs
21-05-2008, 09:30 PM
oh pip you must get paid more then me:laughing:

ajs
21-05-2008, 09:33 PM
sorry i cannot remember who started this thread but

i was £3.50 for 7 years and only put my fees up to £3.75 last september so this time last year i sent a letter out to all parents telling them that as of 1.9.07 my fees were going up.
only one said oh we'll have to find another childminder and then i knew she was only joking and i've still got her child.
the others were just accepting about it if not happy.

crazybones
21-05-2008, 09:33 PM
oh pip you must get paid more then me:laughing:

Did she put her prices up?:eek:

wendywu
21-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Shall we invite feml and nana to the christmas do then:)

ajs
21-05-2008, 09:36 PM
but i'll still be away then sorry i'd love to meet them

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 09:36 PM

Nah - I dropped my prices cuz I reckoned I was too expensive at £3ph!:laughing: :laughing:

berkschick
21-05-2008, 09:37 PM

Yeah, £1 an hour I heard :D

miffy
21-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, £1 an hour I heard :D
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

miffy xx

crazybones
21-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Ladies I am glad we have all found our sense of humour again. :clapping:

ma7ie
21-05-2008, 09:40 PM

You've got to stop though because I'm going to pee myself with laughing.

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 09:41 PM

Rottwielers in defending ourselves - Peter Kay majority of the time
:laughing:
:D

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 09:42 PM
You've got to stop though because I'm going to pee myself with laughing.

Need some Tena Lady Marie????

berkschick
21-05-2008, 09:43 PM

Can we put those on our expenses??!

Jinx
21-05-2008, 09:44 PM
I was enjoying playing Miss Marple!

But the twin set and pearls didn't really suit me!

Jinx x

ma7ie
21-05-2008, 09:46 PM

I can't afford them. I make do with loo roll.:D

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Can we put those on our expenses??!

Ermmmmm not sure Chick - does anyone know where Nana has gone, she might know!!!:D

Now hang on did you buy them specifically for childminding purposes - do you only pee yourself when you are childminding??:laughing:

ajs
21-05-2008, 09:47 PM
ssshhh don't tell anyone but i do when i bounce on the trampoline
which is why hubby won't let me have on

miffy
21-05-2008, 09:48 PM
I can't afford them. I make do with loo roll.:D

TMI :eek:

miffy xx

Pipsqueak

PMSL PMSL I am now crying with laughter.... ssshhh you ain't the only one!!!:laughing:

berkschick
Ermmmmm not sure Chick - does anyone know where Nana has gone, she might know!!!:D

Now hang on did you buy them specifically for childminding purposes - do you only pee yourself when you are childminding??:laughing:

Yes, its the amount of tea I sit and drink whilst letting the kids run riot :laughing:

berkschick
21-05-2008, 09:50 PM

Hahahaha

Hubby thinks Ive gone mad laughing out loud!

crazybones
21-05-2008, 09:50 PM
:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1: I need them now.:blush:

ajs
21-05-2008, 09:51 PM
my son is saying to me what's so funny mum tell me

i won't don't worry your secrets are safe with me

Spangles
Isn't it weird how this thread has changed over the four pages!

It started off as an innocent question with helpful responses then it went all sinister and now it's gone funny and soggy!

Lou
I dont think i have laughed so much since......................

CHELSEA LOST ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

ajs
21-05-2008, 09:52 PM
soggy oooohhh nasty

crazybones
21-05-2008, 09:52 PM

:laughing: :laughing: Oh God - pass the Tena Lady over here NOW.

ajs
21-05-2008, 09:53 PM
awww annie and i thought you were a lady being related to sir paul and all that

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 09:53 PM

BAAAAADDD woman BAAAADDD woman:laughing:

Mind you i laughed like mad when Dropsey Ronaldo missed his penalty

miffy
21-05-2008, 09:54 PM

Does it happen when you are bouncing on beds too?

miffy xx

Spangles
Come on let's all get a grip of those pelvic floors!

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!

ajs
BAAAAADDD woman BAAAADDD woman:laughing:

Mind you i laughed like mad when Dropsey Ronaldo missed his penalty

is dropsy renaldo his sninky doodle poops name then

berkschick
21-05-2008, 09:55 PM

miffy xx

Steady now, this is a family forum you know!

ajs

i'm trying i'm trying

miffy
my son is saying to me what's so funny mum tell me

i won't don't worry your secrets are safe with me

I should worry about your own secrets :laughing:

Sam...............

miffy xx

crazybones
awww annie and i thought you were a lady being related to sir paul and all that

I thought I would be immune to bladder problems after having 3 caesarians. Must be something to do with turning 40 :panic:

I never professed to being a lady.:cool: You should see me in The Kop.

ma7ie

miffy xx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Now that would be definately TMI:eek:

ajs
21-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Steady now, this is a family forum you know!

she's referring to my challenge at xmas when gerty said she bet i couldn't reach the ceiling in our bedroom

and don't tell gerty but sorry yes it does xxxxx:blush:

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Who bounces on beds?????:eek: :D Theres a name for women like that!!!!:laughing:

ajs
I thought I would be immune to bladder problems after having 3 caesarians. Must be something to do with turning 40 :panic:

I never professed to being a lady.:cool: You should see me in The Kop.

i think that's something to do with football but i'm too posh to know

i was this bad before any natuarlly born children they just haven't helped xx

berkschick
she's referring to my challenge at xmas when gerty said she bet i couldn't reach the ceiling in our bedroom

I guess you wont be sharing with Gerty this year now :laughing:

angeldelight
thanks for telling me now Mandy ........... yuk

omg I thought I felt a wet patch haha

xxx

Pipsqueak

Am squeezing am squeezing.....:laughing:

Spangles
Why can't you tell Gerty? Was it her bed? Ha ha ha ha ha!

crazybones
21-05-2008, 09:58 PM
I hope you realise all this information is open to everyone to read. What an impression they will have have of us weak bladdered cm's. :laughing:

miffy

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I can't speak - too busy laughing

miffy xx

ajs
I should worry about your own secrets :laughing:

Sam...............

miffy xx

what secrets does my little angel have then miffy

did you know the little chav has had his ear pierced now :panic:

Lou
Not sure i have a pelvic floor??????

ha ha ha h

TMI Mandy, did you not feel a wet patch Angel???

angeldelight
21-05-2008, 09:59 PM
I thought the water was coming through from the room above and all this time it was YOU MANDY

OMG OMG OMG

Angel xxx

ajs
21-05-2008, 09:59 PM
thanks for telling me now Mandy ........... yuk

omg I thought I felt a wet patch haha

xxx

ooops you weren't meant to read that gerty and no you felt no wet patch from me

miffy
21-05-2008, 10:00 PM
what secrets does my little angel have then miffy

did you know the little chav has had his ear pierced now :panic:

An ear is fine - it could have been much worse ;)

miffy xx

ajs
21-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Why can't you tell Gerty? Was it her bed? Ha ha ha ha ha!

in birmingham last year i gate crashed into angels room and her bed too..

sorry i told hubby all about it he didn't seem too bothered

angeldelight
21-05-2008, 10:01 PM
You cant hide anything from me on here Mandy

I hope you know you are sleeping on the floor at this years meeting ?

xxxx

miffy
21-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I thought the water was coming through from the room above and all this time it was YOU MANDY

OMG OMG OMG

Angel xxx

Hey and you get to experience it all again this year too - how lucky is that?

miffy xx

ajs
21-05-2008, 10:02 PM
I hope you realise all this information is open to everyone to read. What an impression they will have have of us weak bladdered cm's. :laughing:

they would already know if they knew me :blush:

ma7ie
Glad I'm not coming now if you all wet the bed.

ajs
You cant hide anything from me on here Mandy

I hope you know you are sleeping on the floor at this years meeting ?

xxxx

i am laughing so much now i am going to have to go and get the mop

Pipsqueak

OMG OMG OMG

Angel xxx

This is just toooo funny - too much stimulation before bedtime is not good!

I have tears running down my face....:laughing:

angeldelight
21-05-2008, 10:03 PM
We dont ALL wet the bed Marie

Just Mandy by the looks of things thank god I have been warned this year haha

xxxx

ajs
Glad I'm not coming now if you all wet the bed.

aaaawwww come marie i promise to sleep in angels bed

ajs
This is just toooo funny - too much stimulation before bedtime is not good!

I have tears running down my face....:laughing:

as long as it's only tears

ma7ie
21-05-2008, 10:04 PM
aaaawwww come marie i promise to sleep in angels bed

I would need it in writing that whoever I shared with didn't wet the bed.

angeldelight
21-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Im going to start calling mandy ..............

Little Miss Wet Knickers haha

Angel xx

miffy
21-05-2008, 10:06 PM

I would need it in writing that whoever I shared with didn't wet the bed.

That could be arranged - will you come?

miffy xx

crazybones
I did hear a rumour that Mandy had windy problems as well. :panic:

ajs
Im going to start calling mandy ..............

Little Miss Wet Knickers haha

Angel xx

have you been talking to my hubby again

angeldelight
21-05-2008, 10:07 PM
You would be safe Marie

Little Miss Wet Knickers is sharing with me again - god help me

Angel xxx

Pipsqueak
as long as it's only tears

I've got a spare waterproof mattress protector if anyone needs it!!!:laughing:

ajs
I did hear a rumour that Mandy had windy problems as well. :panic:

I DO NOT HAVE A WINDY PROBLEM

er let's get back to picking on nana and feml please

crazybones

I've got a spare waterproof mattress protector if anyone needs it!!!:laughing:

Give it to Mandy quick :eek:

ajs
21-05-2008, 10:08 PM
too late :laughing:

angeldelight
21-05-2008, 10:09 PM
You are not allowed to pick on people who are not here to defend themselves

So back to you Mandy...........

Dont think it was Mandy who had wind probs that was Theresa

Maybe you should bring a sheet of plastic this time Mandy for the bed ?

Angel xx

ajs
21-05-2008, 10:09 PM
You would be safe Marie

Little Miss Wet Knickers is sharing with me again - god help me

Angel xxx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

angeldelight
21-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Oh Mandy did make snorting noises like a piglett

Maybe some one mistook it for wind ?

xxx

ajs
You are not allowed to pick on people who are not here to defend themselves

So back to you Mandy...........

Dont think it was Mandy who had wind probs that was Theresa

Maybe you should bring a sheet of plastic this time Mandy for the bed ?

Angel xx

i thought you were my friend angel i am crying now

Blaze
have you been talking to my hubby again

I either have a dirty mind or that comment went over everyone else's head!:rolleyes: :laughing:

ajs
21-05-2008, 10:11 PM

xxx

errrr hang on a mo now i am a piglett
they are not kosher you know so it couldn't have been me

miffy

xxx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Always one for blowing her own trumpet is mandy!

miffy xx

ajs
I either have a dirty mind or that comment went over everyone else's head!:rolleyes: :laughing:

i think both blaze :laughing: :laughing:

miffy
21-05-2008, 10:12 PM

No I'm there with you Tasha - the others aren't concentrating :laughing:

miffy xx

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 10:12 PM
i think both blaze :laughing: :laughing:

ok explain then please - what is being missed by the rest of us...... there is obviously more to this than meets the eye:eek:

angeldelight
21-05-2008, 10:13 PM
I let that go over my head Blaze haha

Kidding our little Mandy is not really a piglett just wet knickers and nutty will do for now haha

xxx

ajs
21-05-2008, 10:13 PM
the other comment i made earlier fell flat too.

i didn't actually mean for that comment to be rude butyou can take it anyway you like xxxx

ma7ie
21-05-2008, 10:15 PM
That could be arranged - will you come?

miffy xx

I don't think I can. Would need to put my fees up to cover it.

angeldelight
21-05-2008, 10:16 PM
You could sleep on Mandys half of the bed Marie now she is using the floor haha

xxx

ajs
21-05-2008, 10:17 PM
I let that go over my head Blaze haha

Kidding our little Mandy is not really a piglett just wet knickers and nutty will do for now haha

xxx

i am laughing you know not really crying i know i have a mild bladder weakness but i am able to control my self

with a little tena lady help of course

charleyfarley
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I can't wait for the xmas meeting, I missed out on last years

We'll all be in Angels room anyway, jumping on the bed, no trumping though please :laughing:

Carol xx

ajs
You could sleep on Mandys half of the bed Marie now she is using the floor haha

xxx

as long as you don't wet the bed or i won't be your friend xxxx

angeldelight
21-05-2008, 10:18 PM
thank god for that mandy glad to hear it

you might have to sleep in the bath yet and no one will notice if you have an accident in there or not haha

xxxx

ajs
21-05-2008, 10:18 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I can't wait for the xmas meeting, I missed out on last years

We'll all be in Angels room anyway, jumping on the bed, no trumping though please :laughing:

Carol xx

please tell little miss sparkles that then she shook the hotel then proceeded to blame me

Blaze
21-05-2008, 10:19 PM
ok explain then please - what is being missed by the rest of us...... there is obviously more to this than meets the eye:eek:

Angel called Mandy Little Miss Wet Knickers...Mandy asked if she had been speaking to her hubby....there are sexual connotations there IYSWIM?

angeldelight
Marie I dont wet the bed I promise

I might ask you to do something crazy like jump on the bed and hit your head on the ceiling but if you are mad enough to do it then thats your prob and not mine
Mandy did it

Maybe that is what is wrong Mandy - you hit your head so hard and it made you nutty haha

xxx

Pipsqueak
Guys and gals I am gonna have to go to bed I think.... enjoy the rest of the evenign and I look forward to catching up with this one in the morning!

crazybones
21-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Ladies you have given me a really enjoyable evening but I must go to bed now and leave you all to mop up. Sweet dreams everyone. :D

ma7ie
Wish you'd have it nearer me. Feeling very left out.

ajs
nah i was nutty before

i was there wasn't i but my suitcase nearly ended up in leeds

angeldelight
Dont tell us you are rushing off pip because you need the loo ?

xxx

Nite speak tomorrow xx

ajs
21-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Ladies you have given me a really enjoyable evening but I must go to bed now and leave you all to mop up. Sweet dreams everyone. :D

thanks annie
speak tomorrow xxxx

Pipsqueak
Angel called Mandy Little Miss Wet Knickers...Mandy asked if she had been speaking to her hubby....there are sexual connotations there IYSWIM?

Sexual????? ;) whats that then????:laughing:

(yes... durrr geddit now. Am a bit slow this evening.... need to go to bed)

angeldelight
nite annie and pip

sweet dreams

angel xx

ajs
21-05-2008, 10:22 PM
night night pip sweet and dry dreams

ooops there goes the sexual connotation again blaze :laughing:

ma7ie
Night Anne and Pip too.

Blaze
Night! Think how i feel...even those in my county are bloomin miles away!:(

Pipsqueak
21-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Nite nite - you lot will be swimming out of here at this rate!!!!:laughing:

(ps yes I do need the loo actually!!!)

ajs
21-05-2008, 10:24 PM
so do i and i need to clean the kitchen as i have a mum coming to sign contracts tomorrow
i'll need to disinfect the office floor too

feml
22-05-2008, 12:40 AM
I apologize in the delay in responding, however this has been the only time l have been able to come on line.

I would like to make a clear piont that l never said that Childminding was an easy job, having the reasponsibility of someones child is very great. Neither did I requested yourselfs to support your reason for being paid?. Again l say it, my childminder is excellent l have never had a compliant and the difference in my childrens happyness has been amazeing due to the quality of care which she provides. What my piont was that as a parent the most important aspect in a childminder and parent is the trust. The childminder has to be, to a piont is part of your family as the children spend more time with childminders than they do with parents. If there is no good working relationship, it is then a knock on effect on the welfare of the children. Wither my child has not been well, l will still inform my childminder in the knowledge that she can refuse to care for them, resulting in a unpaid day off. Without me telling her, how is she to care for my children properly if we do not have trust. Afterall, she has to know to be able to care for my child.

My childminder has increased her rate to £160 per month, even with the help that l so greatly recieve, l can not afford the costs. Does it mean that l have to find a cheeper child provider so l can put food on the table, l kid you not. Since l live on an island, there is not much of a choice such as other areas. This will effect my children, having to change to another provider from one that has brought happyness to my children. Fact being l do not want to. Wither her cost are unreasonably, which l think it is l would still continue with her as her relationship and frienship with my children are flawless and no amount of money can justify the change. So it pains me greatly to be placed in such a position, so l look for answers and here l am.

So if l spoke to my childminder about her fees, to which has been suggested. I dearly hope that she will not be here on this sight, like others, saying such painfull things about me to those that do not know my circumstances. As l said before, those comments could be about me, as a parent it hurts my fealings more than my pocket. They are wicked and hurtfull and as a parent does not fill me with confidence. Wither we like it or not, we do and have the right to enquire about the increase of fees, within reason. I just never expected to see the outcomes of a parents enquirey so distastefull displayed. However l never ment to offend, only to make the piont that this sight is also free for parents, l thought. You do not give use, as parents the confidence we need in the trust and relationship by reading SOME of the comments on this site. So l hope the tust and friendship which l have with my provider is stronger that we can come to an arrangment as at the end of the day it effects the ones we all care for the most and that is the children. I thank those for your postings of support and suggestions:).

crazybones
22-05-2008, 05:38 AM
I apologize in the delay in responding, however this has been the only time l have been able to come on line.

I would like to make a clear piont that l never said that Childminding was an easy job, having the reasponsibility of someones child is very great. Neither did I requested yourselfs to support your reason for being paid?. Again l say it, my childminder is excellent l have never had a compliant and the difference in my childrens happyness has been amazeing due to the quality of care which she provides. What my piont was that as a parent the most important aspect in a childminder and parent is the trust. The childminder has to be, to a piont is part of your family as the children spend more time with childminders than they do with parents. If there is no good working relationship, it is then a knock on effect on the welfare of the children. Wither my child has not been well, l will still inform my childminder in the knowledge that she can refuse to care for them, resulting in a unpaid day off. Without me telling her, how is she to care for my children properly if we do not have trust. Afterall, she has to know to be able to care for my child.

My childminder has increased her rate to £160 per month, even with the help that l so greatly recieve, l can not afford the costs. Does it mean that l have to find a cheeper child provider so l can put food on the table, l kid you not. Since l live on an island, there is not much of a choice such as other areas. This will effect my children, having to change to another provider from one that has brought happyness to my children. Fact being l do not want to. Wither her cost are unreasonably, which l think it is l would still continue with her as her relationship and frienship with my children are flawless and no amount of money can justify the change. So it pains me greatly to be placed in such a position, so l look for answers and here l am.

So if l spoke to my childminder about her fees, to which has been suggested. I dearly hope that she will not be here on this sight, like others, saying such painfull things about me to those that do not know my circumstances. As l said before, those comments could be about me, as a parent it hurts my fealings more than my pocket. They are wicked and hurtfull and as a parent does not fill me with confidence. Wither we like it or not, we do and have the right to enquire about the increase of fees, within reason. I just never expected to see the outcomes of a parents enquirey so distastefull displayed. However l never ment to offend, only to make the piont that this sight is also free for parents, l thought. You do not give use, as parents the confidence we need in the trust and relationship by reading SOME of the comments on this site. So l hope the tust and friendship which l have with my provider is stronger that we can come to an arrangment as at the end of the day it effects the ones we all care for the most and that is the children. I thank those for your postings of support and suggestions:).

Thank you feml for coming on to reply. I am sorry you are upset by some of the replies but I think you have answered you own question. If you are amazed with the quality of care and your children's happiness then hopefully in realising how much we have to pay out of our wages to be able to provide that quality of care could explain the cost your childminder feels she has to charge. I still feel this is a matter for you to take up with your childminder and the reason you may have recieved some replies you were not happy with is because in your original post it felt like you were almost attacking us without a clear understanding of the costs we have to pay out before making a wage ourselves. You used words like "law unto ourselves" and that our postings were "disgusting" without even knowing anything about us.

I also dont understand your comment about child illness. I provide my parents with a comprehensive child sickness policy including exclusion dates with a copy of the HPA guidlines on how long a child should be excluded for certain illnesses. I do not charge families if I am unable to work eg holidays and sickness so if someone knowingly sent a child to me with an illness that could be caught by myself or my family then is that fair for me to be out of pocket due to a parents decision that going to work is more important than being with their sick child. Or another child in my care catching it and causing a knock-on effect to their family. I understand it can cause a problem to yourself if you cannot take time off but we are under strict guidlines to avoid cross infection and this is why a sick child should be excluded.

Obviously there has to be the biggest amount of trust possible between a childminder and a parent. You are handing over your most precious thing for someone else to care for but do you think we would all still be in business if there wasnt that trust available.

Some people do still have the attitude that a childminder is a cheap babysitter. Around here a 16 year old girl babysitting in the evening can make £5 per hour and yet myself with all my training and qualifications is lucky to get £3.00 an hour and then have to deduct extras from this as has been outlined previously. But it is not about money it is about parent choice. Do you want to put your child in a nursery or do you want an alternative home from home atmosphere.

I am sorry you didnt like some of the replies you have been given but if your post had originally been written a little more sensitively then you would have recieved great advice from this site and all who use it. We are happy for parents to come on and ask a question of something they need help with as there are still some childminders out there who dont provide a proper service or explain everything fully to a parent but to tar us all with the same brush is unfair.

I hope you have a successful meeting with your childminder and wish you well.

As has been previously quoted "Good childcare isnt expensive - It is invaluable"

miffy
22-05-2008, 05:44 AM
Well said Annie - I totally agree with you

I still feel Feml that you have to take up your "issues" with your present childminder - I just hope you understand a little more about our profession before you do so.

miffy xx

Pipsqueak
22-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Well done Fem1 for coming back on - that can't have been easy.

Sorry if you were upset by any/some of the comments but as I am sure you can imagine, we are dedicated professional and we are darned good at what we do.

As already stated - the wording of your post came across as offensive and if it had been worded more sensitively then you, like right now you would have got a helpful and sympathetic response. I should imagine that you would not like a sweeping generalisation about yourself/worklife etc. We had every right to defend us.

Again I will say, we welcome parents on here - it would be great to be able to bounce ideas of them.

I can understand that you are struggling as regards childcare - talk to your childminder. Perhaps she has realised that to make her ends meet she has had to raise her prices but has not realised that this makes it hard for you?

mrsbumbles
22-05-2008, 07:16 AM
As childminders we can see the rising costs of childcare, and i for one try my hardest to help each and evry parent out in anyway i can.

I have a family of three children, they take three under 8 spaces, i charge £3.00 per hour for the two under 5 spaces, and have reduced the other payment to half £1.50 per hour :eek:

I dont like to see a parent struggle with money, and i am not out to make a fortune.

I am sure if you approch your minder she will try to accomadate you needs as much as she can :thumbsup:

Pauline
22-05-2008, 07:31 AM
So if l spoke to my childminder about her fees, to which has been suggested. I dearly hope that she will not be here on this sight, like others, saying such painfull things about me to those that do not know my circumstances.

So you wouldn't want your childminder to say anything about you, but you are happy to be here openly criticising her to people who do not know HER circumstances and expecting us to respond?

angeldelight
22-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Very well put Pauline

Angel xx

ma7ie
22-05-2008, 07:56 AM

I have nothing to add other than maybe you should read your original post, then maybe you will see why the answers you received were as you put it "wicked and hurtful"

You reap what you sow.

wendywu
22-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Its all down to people skills. I suggest that when you do approach your CM to discuss your problem you use a completely different tone and be more selective in your choice of words.:(

berkschick
22-05-2008, 08:23 AM
I think £1 per hour increase is a lot but I dont know the full circumstances.

Remember that if you are getting help with the costs then the amount of help you get will increase also.

So if you get 70% funded, the increase is actually only 30p an hour on your pocket and 70p on the tax payers pocket!

I think your first post was extremely rude and hurtful, maybe if you re-read it today now you appear to have calmed down a little, you will see where we are coming from :thumbsup:

Tatia
22-05-2008, 08:53 AM
I think £1 per hour increase is a lot but I dont know the full circumstances.

But is £1.00 an hour or .50p an hour (as she has 2 children)?

Feml, in order to give you any advice, we would need to know how many hours your childminder has your children and what exactly she provides. We can't begin to understand how much is too much without some basic info.

Also, you should count yourself lucky if your childminder doesn't charge you when your child is off ill. I'd be hanging on to her for dear life and counting my blessings. I charge full fees when a child does not attend, for whatever reason. Only time I don't charge is when I need to take time off.

And lastly, I am surprised that you're so surprised at the comments you have received. You came on here and told us all we were heartless money grubbers who didn't care about our mindees and their families and you expected us to be polite in return?! Frankly, I think most of the responses you got were incredibly restrained.

Blaze
22-05-2008, 08:59 AM
I too found your original post v. provocotive(sp)! However, we pride ourselves on not being cliquey & try to be helpful to ALL on this site & as you appear to be a genuine parent & not a wind up merchant I would suggest we make a fresh start with this!

I appreciate your childminder's fee increase will make you struggle financially...it's difficult to answer fully as we are nt aware of her reasons...but I'll give it ago!

1) With her fee increase...are her fees more in line with the area that she works? It may be that she priced herself too low & herself is struggling financially because of this. If this is the case then I don't think there is much to be done but to talk & see if she can manage on say a 50p increase. You may just have to lump it if she simply bringing herself inline as it were because everyone's fees will be the same...it's not really her problem if you can't afford childcare in general...having said that I know that none of us are as business minded as we should be, so I think having a chat is your best option.

2) If for what ever reason it is not possible to continue with your existing minder...is it possible to leave you Lo's with a minder closer to your work...is this area cheaper? I know you mentioned you live on an island, so not sure how viable this is!

3) It's a simple fact that childcare costs have risen, as has the cost of living in general. It may be that like hundreds of parents out there that you simply cannot afford to work now...in which case you need to explore other forms of employment.

I wish i could be more helpfu, but with out knowing more about your CM, your area & specific circumstances etc...its quite hard to give you a more comprehensive answer!

Good luck & keep us posted on how you get on!:)

berkschick
22-05-2008, 09:00 AM
True, it could be a total of £1 an hour increase.

But either way, it will not be costing Fem £1 an hour as she receives help with her childcare! It is likely that it will actually only cost her 30p an hour, you cant even buy a bar of chocolate for that these days :rolleyes:

Tatia
22-05-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm lucky now with finances but it wasn't always so. In defense of people who get help with childcare costs, sometimes even 30p an hour can be the difference in making it or breaking it. I know when I was married to my ex, there were times that if I'd have had to scrape up $5, it would have meant going without elsewhere. I think unless you've been there you can't really appreciate what it's like to struggle for every penny. I forget myself at times, now that it's in the dim and distant past.

Now I feel like I've been forced into playing devil's adocate!!;) :D

(Berkchick, hope you know that wasn't meant as a dig at you, just offering my opinion about it:) )

berkschick
22-05-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm lucky now with finances but it wasn't always so. In defense of people who get help with childcare costs, sometimes even 30p an hour can be the difference in making it or breaking it. I know when I was married to my ex, there were times that if I'd have had to scrape up $5, it would have meant going without elsewhere. I think unless you've been there you can't really appreciate what it's like to struggle for every penny. I forget myself at times, now that it's in the dim and distant past.

Now I feel like I've been forced into playing devil's adocate!!;) :D

(Berkchick, hope you know that wasn't meant as a dig at you, just offering my opinion about it:) )

No, not at all :D

I do understand where you are coming from. I was 19 when I had DD. Hubby was still at college and worked nights stacking shelves and I did cleaning jobs taking Alice with me. We lived in a grotty flat in a nasty area. I remember having to borrow £20 of my brother who was only 15 at the time just to do some food shopping! There was no childcare funding then (13 years ago) so I had to do a job that I could take the baby along to. I think most people have been there at some point! Thankfully it all paid off in the end though and Hubby now has a very good job, we own our own home and have 3 more lovely children.

The point I was trying to make was that it might not be quite as drastic as the poster originally made out.

Maybe if we had a few more facts like Blaze asked for, we could offer much better advice and help. :thumbsup:

Tatia
22-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Ah yessss, I see. Like intimating the cm had put her fees up by £1.00 and not saying if that was for both children or for each child. Gotcha.:thumbsup:

avril
22-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Some very good replies posted on here to your problem feml, so do stop read and digest before meeting your childminder to discuss your dilema and do chose your words very carefully as you don't want to rub her back up the wrong way like you did to some of us on here.

Please do come back and tell us what your childminder has to say, as we can always offer advice and support to you.

devoncm
22-05-2008, 11:12 AM
I have to say that i always have to laugh when people tell me that childminding isnt work, i do 8 am til 6pm sometimeslater and sometimes on weekends - therefore taking away my family time.
i do not charge the earth and my work does not stop when the last child goes home-i have planning for next day/week and fill in anything for income/outgoings if necessary, at the moment i have one child after school til 6pm and so only getting £28 pw alot of people not dedicated to this job would of given by now.
although i have no children at the moment does not mean i am sitting around doing nothing,ive got courses to go on and adverts to do to try and get myself heard of again.
I decided on childminding as when i was at school iloved children and wanted to work with them somehow, then i got prenant and two childrenlater decided childminding was my way to go as id looked into orthe avenues and would have to pay a fortune to nursery which i didnt want as they would not get practically one to one care they would at home-back then before i looked into it properly i admit it look like the easy option as i did not realise how much was actually involved-i dont regret my decision either i love what i do and im gaining more qualifications then i would have otherwise.
me and my partner although he works full time and does endless overtime in his job we are by no means rich, we live in a housing ass house which was awful a few weeks ago but gradually getting better, as i dont earn much my partner pays for everything and if he done no overtime we would not be able to pay our rent each month,when i did earn from a child 16-20 hours a week i was able to pay our rent of £90 a week but there wouldnt be any left.

i think people who think this is an easy job should try and do it as it is hard at times and the income is far from regular but on the good days can be very rewarding

people need to think before they put childminders down in what we do- feml and nana, where would you be if we were not around to care for your child? if i was your childminder i would be giving you notice.

disney
22-05-2008, 12:29 PM
well what can i say i dont want go on and make it long & to be honest most minders have aready said it all .while i can understand how difficult it may be for feml and her child care cost with her childminder ( which is between them to really ) to defend my self i have to i dont do it for the money i love working with children and do not have to stay at home and mind . icould go back to the nursery were i worked for many years i choose to do this carer

lots parents took their children out of nursery to go with me as i am cheeper and often able to give them what they need. but apart from every thing that has been mentioned . i have bought in one day for next week when mindees are on holls naturally sand pit £ 40 / bags of sand £5 / poster paint , brushes , spatualas sugar paper ect £ 30 /wendy house £30 plus cooking ingriedents and extra food . i have all the recipts for these .

does this sound like someone whos doing it for money :rolleyes: sadly of course money makes the world go around x

disney
22-05-2008, 12:46 PM
ps also not sure if this has already been said but to say we dont care about the children we look after is very wronge , you only have to look around the forum and read a few posts to see we are not in it just for the money and we do care . some of mine are my :littleangel: s x

Mrs.L.C
22-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Either a wind up or at least know each other.

If you parents are serious, have you checked out the prices a good nursery charge these days? I dont know about anyone else but around here childminders are cheaper than a good nursery and can offer a service just as good if not better and the children in our care get more one on one and social interaction with other children when we go to tots groups etc.

We do our job for a living and our homes can be turned upside down but we love it all the same, but dont you think we should get paid as much as any1 else? If we only have 1 child we get paid less than minimum wage and 2 children will only just be over and thats not even considering the expenses we occur...and as regards to the post above about do we have accountants as we seem to know what we can claim against....some do some dont. I personaly dont and use the NCMA guide book (for childminders) on what I can claim against tax.

Mrs.L.C
22-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Oh and childcare is one of the lowest paid jobs. Its a job we do because we love it and care for the children like they were our own...Any1 who comes into the job thinking it will be great money and easy...then they are very wrong

NikNak
22-05-2008, 12:58 PM
If these two ladies are genuine then why have they not replied!? :rolleyes:

Pudding Girl
22-05-2008, 01:01 PM
If these two ladies are genuine then why have they not replied!? :rolleyes:

I think you'll find that one did come back and post again....

NikNak
22-05-2008, 01:35 PM
oh yes I have just read it! Im still mad though!

I just dont get it, all her problems would be answered if she became a childminder herself , like Im sure many of the minders on this forum have done.

I was in the same situation going out to work and paying my childminder half my wages and getting no help towards costs. I also missed my children lots so the ideal and obvious answer was to become a childminder! x

teacake2
22-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi, Have I read it wrong or is there a discrepancy of the amounts that fem is quoting on her reply in the amount the fees have supposed to change, it may be just me because I am finding it very hard to follow her words, but then I get easily confused these days, my age I think, although the Dr gave me a clean bill of health this morning, shame really because I could do with an excuse to have some time off even though I wouldn't be paid. Perhaps someone else could check the figures for me, also why won't she say what the hourly rate was and what it has supposedly gone up to?
Teacake2

Jinx
22-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi, Have I read it wrong or is there a discrepancy of the amounts that fem is quoting on her reply in the amount the fees have supposed to change, it may be just me because I am finding it very hard to follow her words, but then I get easily confused these days, my age I think, although the Dr gave me a clean bill of health this morning, shame really because I could do with an excuse to have some time off even though I wouldn't be paid. Perhaps someone else could check the figures for me, also why won't she say what the hourly rate was and what it has supposedly gone up to?
Teacake2

You are right, it doesn't add up.
Teacake, are you after my Miss Marple crown too? :laughing:

Jinx x

crazybones
22-05-2008, 02:47 PM
You are right, it doesn't add up.
Teacake, are you after my Miss Marple crown too? :laughing:

Jinx x

I knew Miss Marple would sort it. :clapping:

cloud9
22-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Fem i think if you would like our opinion it would help to know what you were and are charged hourly, your hours and such.

Lou
22-05-2008, 07:07 PM
I am not going to harp on and flog a dead horse.

I think all the other minders have more than put the case across and very articulartly too.

I would just like to say i want to push the point of why hasnt feml discussed this issue with her childminder???

Feml you actively sing you childminders praises and say over and over how excellent she is and how the care your children recieve is excellent etc ect

however it would appear you do not feel comfortable in discussing this with said minder???

I have only put my hourly fees up once in 5 yrs and i had one parent querie it. As my main priority is the happiness and care of the child, i didnt think it was in the childs best interest to be placed elsewhere and therefore comprimsed (sp) with the parent and we came to a solution that everyone was happy with.

I sincerely feel if you were to express your feelings with your minder she would at leastknow how difficult you were finding things, and either be able to justify the increase (ie inline with area) or come to a compromise with you.

sue32
22-05-2008, 08:59 PM
I have been reading this thread whilst still working (nearly 10pm) tonight parent is need of space and have been ask to have children from ss overnight and have drop everything to help out and will keep them tomorow as well, as a childminder I put the children and parent first and help out when ever possible,I have found that helping my parents and children out then they are very helpful towards me. I fill that my parents have resept for me an my job and would not change jobs with me for no amont of money(its their chldrenI look after)

Banana
22-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I have nothing to add other than maybe you should read your original post, then maybe you will see why the answers you received were as you put it "wicked and hurtful"

You reap what you sow.

Totally agree!

crazybones
22-05-2008, 09:08 PM
I have respect for you too Sue. Well done. That must be hard work:clapping:

crazybones
27-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Just wondering if you spoke to your childminder and sorted anything feml?

Hannahlg
28-05-2008, 01:48 PM
me and my mum put our fees up every janureay 20p each new parent is told this when there come to look around. And parents are told this also when there sgin there new contracts.

my mum also wirte on contact that she will be puting them up in januray and how much it will be
never had a problem

Bella
30-05-2008, 07:48 PM
if the parent thinks that childminders are overpaid she could always become a childminder

Rubybubbles
03-06-2008, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=feml;146408]I apologize in the delay in responding, however this has been the only time l have been able to come on line.

So[QUOTE]

this is my best bit :rolleyes:

nothing to add it's all been said, bit worried about xmas meet now:laughing:

buildingblocks
12-06-2008, 10:15 PM
when you raise your fees? I've only raised mine once so far, one of the parents were fine but the other one insisted on going and checking her contract to see if I had stated fee rises in there, she came back to me and said I'd not stipulated in the contract that I would raise my fees while I cared for her child so she wasn't happy:eek: anyone else had adverse reactions lol Also byu how much do you raise yours? I went from £3.25 to £3.50:)

Never thought of it like that and I suppose we should have it written in our contracts that we will review and possibly put up fees every year or whenever. I find that the parents who complain the most are the ones who can afford the raise in fee. I once had a parent who complained that i had raised my fees and how could I do it to her as she had just moved house. True but she had moved to a house worth half a million pounds and hubby works abroad and his wages are tax free.

so long as you give them notice (whatever it states for a change of contract - mine is two weeks) then they have a choice renew their contract or find other childcare.

theoldwoman
12-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Well said everyone, I feel very cross on your behalf as although I am only just getting to know you it is obvious that you all really care about other peoples children and are priceless. My daughter has been working for a nanny agency in Nurseries and they sound horrific with children in the same room all day, doing the same things at the same time and never seeing a smily face as all the staff are so cheesed off. I became a childminder to be at home with her and am now sending her off to Nurseries crying as she hates them so much and is so sad for the children (she is now 20 !!) I wish people would realise just how much better a childminder is and worth whatever they ask.
Sue

buildingblocks
12-06-2008, 10:35 PM

That does appear initially to be a steep rise but she may have her reasons for it may I suggest that you talk to her about it and if you are not happy and cannot work things out with her you could look for other childcare. Obviously you liked the setting initially or you wouldn't have chosen her in the first place

So tell me this why did you all start childminding as it sound to me that you are a law to yourselfs and more concerend about making money than the well fair of the children and there mum and dad.

that is a little unfair as whilst I am self employed i am not a law unto myself and am answerable to OFsted and have standards to follow and from September will have to follow the same statutory guidelines as all other childcarers

You complain when parents feel the pinch and have such a high opinion of yoursefls. Your posting are disgusting on your employees that are earning a lot less than what you are charging.

i do not have a high opinion of myself at all but consider myself a professional running a business. I never complain about my parents feeling the pinch. I also do not consdider my paretns as employees or employers I offer a professional service that I ask a fair price for just as any other business would. I do find parents sometimes do not understand and think they employ me. I am sure that you are earning the minimum wage as is the law adn if you are not then i suggest you need to seek advice on that matter. I do not charge that amount to my parents

And, no not everybody gets paid bank holidays or get days in liu or pay rises that match your increases, l get none of these luxerys.

I do not charge for bank holidays or my holidays or days off in lieu. If I do not work I do not pay. I know some childminders do but that is there perogative as it is their business and they can run it how they see fit. Also most firms pay employees for bank holidays although I am aware that some do not but most jobs again will get regular pay rises which I asure you I do not I raise my fees every two years

I have never complained to my childminder, l have had no need to until l read this site. My childminder is brilliant but she is to expensive for what l earn. I am appauled by your comments! l need to work to support our BASIC bills but would love even more to stay at home with my children. I can not afford to do either. My question to you is "What do l do!" as you seem to have all the answers.

It seems that you are unhappy with the fee rise your childminder has made so perhaps you should talk to her and see what you can sort out with her rather than coming on a site and generalising about childminders and being highly unfair to people who are regulars on the site. If you r childminder is too expensive for you it seems you have a number of choices sort it out with her if you are genreally happy with her, change your childminder, find a higher paying job (which I am aware is not an easy option in this day and age) or possibly stay at home to care for your child yourself if you are unable to work to earn enough to pay for childcare

i also work to earn a living. I am in a slightly different position to most childminders in that I have no children of my own so am able to fill my full quota of places but most childminders are unable to fill their full quota as their own children take up spaces.

I cannot assess your situation and do not know what you can do about it. My husband and I both work long hours and just manage to pay our bills. Do you not think that we have these as well. We are not entitled to any help or benefits as we have no children of our own. I do not complain about this (and am not suggesting you are either) but we get on and manage and cut back where we need to

buildingblocks
12-06-2008, 10:51 PM

Have you thought that the ferocity of the replies is bcause the lady in question was generalising and saing that all childminders are only in it for the money. Believe me this is not the case. I could earn far more as a cleaner then I could do in this profession but I choose not to and instead choose to work in a profession i love

Any professional childminder keeps excellent accountsbut unfortunately this appears to seem to many people that we can just write off all our expenses. (sorry wording this badly). yes I do have an accountant but do not see what difference that makes as I can only claim what I am allowed to. I still have bills and a mortgage to pay possibly my job makes these more than if I worked outside the home setting

Nobody is saying that mums and nanas do not work hard but I do not see what relevance that has on the situation. Forgive me but grandparents and families are allowed to care for their families nobody says otherwise. What the government says is that if you want to claim the tax credits then you must use registered childcare.

Are you a childminder yourself. If so I presume you realise that the job is not just about feeding young children daily and ensuring their wellbeing. I work long hours as I start at 7.30/8 each day and some days can work until 10pm adn yet I still do not earn enough money to afford a weeks holiday twice a year let alone a world cruise. Some day I am still working on paperwork and planning well into the evening to 9pm some nights so it is not easy money

If you look at the current Standards you will see that strict guidelines are already in place adn most of us work well above these standards and this will become more relevant in September with the new EYFS

The tax benefits you seem to think mean I will be a rich woman must be bypassing me and my accountant. Yes I am able to claim a small percentage of my heating bills but that is not actually a benefit as I use far more heating/lighting costs by working from home all day compared to going out to work.

buildingblocks
12-06-2008, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=tulip0803;145668]I know you care deeply about your grandchildren but the childminders, and nurseries, which tax credits is used to pay are highly trained in the latest childcare and children's learning techniques. These are normally funded by the childminder and done in their spare time. The vast majority of childminders go above and beyond their call of duty. QUOTE]

Too true I am about to undertake a 30 week course in the near future that will cost me over £400 for which I am paying out of my own pocket.

buildingblocks
12-06-2008, 11:19 PM

My childminder has increased her rate to £160 per month, even with the help that l so greatly recieve, l can not afford the costs.

I am not sure how many hours a week you work and it is hard to answer a post without full information.

One of my parents has two children with me one full time the other before and after school infrequently and full time in school holiday. Her childcare costs are well over £600 a month this also includes some evenings care and occasional weekends. as she is a friend i do not charge her my overtime rates and weekend rates so you can imagine what she would have to pay if i did.

i have a good relationship with the parent i provide a service for. but my parents do value the care I give to their children

childminder54
16-06-2008, 10:27 PM
I charge £2.70 hour would you go on courses from 7pm-9pm after receiving your first child at 7am without pay. in the last 3months ive been on a course on a saturday from 9.30-12-30pm with out pay.. would you do that i dont think. we are dedicated childminders who loves their jobs...I EVEN WORK every other week to look after a one parents child from 7am-9.30pm...if there were no people like us to look after the children you couldnt go back to work...

veronica

childminder54
16-06-2008, 10:28 PM
:mad: :mad: I charge £2.70 hour would you go on courses from 7pm-9pm after receiving your first child at 7am without pay. in the last 3months ive been on a course on a saturday from 9.30-12-30pm with out pay.. would you do that i dont think. we are dedicated childminders who loves their jobs...I EVEN WORK every other week to look after a one parents child from 7am-9.30pm...if there were no people like us to look after the children you couldnt go back to work...

veronica