PDA

View Full Version : How would you charge?

Carrie1983
11-09-2011, 02:42 PM
I am going to be registered for overnight care. I had a mum contact me last week, asking me to have her son afterschool and overnight (drop to school next morning). At first I said it wouldn't be possible as I already have one child going to another school, but then it transpired the 5 year old goes to the local private school and finishes school at 430, so it would be fine (my other schoolie is only one night and 5 mornings but I have his sister full time).

The mum does 24 hour shifts (which I once did myself so understand her plight!). She gets her rota weekly! She needs me to collect from school Monday to Friday and keep the boy overnight for 2 nights per week and take him to school for 845 the next morning. The mum and stepdad both work in social care, which made me worry about charging too much, but the child goes to private school. Who am I to question their financial status? My fee is my fee. She also asked if I could have him at weekends sometimes. I somehow get the feeling she wants me on an adhoc basis, but when I do a contract I need to iron out that I will have a min charge (not sure what that will be or how to work it out?) as her child is taking a full space in that age group.

She does know my fees from my ad, but I think she failed to do the maths. SO, my fees are as follows:

7am-7pm: £3.50 per hour
7pm-7am: £5.25 per hour
Overnight charge: £40 a night
Unsociable hours (weekends, bank holidays etc) are charged at time plus a half
I don't charge for bank hols unless used; their hols upto 4 weeks are half fee; my hols are no charge; their sickness is full fee and mine is no charge.

So I did put in my ad that for afterschool care there would be a min charge of 3 hours (to make it worth it as I include dinner). So on the 3 nights a week I collect at 430pm, even if they collect him at 6, I would still have to charge for 3 hours. On noghts when I keep him overnight, that would not apply because I'd be charging for more than that anyway (same with my beforeschool 2 hours min charge). I worked out that 3 nights a week I'd be charging either £10.50 (min 3 hour charge) or more if they need me til say 8pm (my £5.25ph kicks in at 7pm). My overnight is 8pm-7am so my charge when I have him overnight would be:
430-7@£3.50ph = £7.88
7-8@£5ph = £5
8-6@£40
6-7@£5ph = £5
7-845@£3.50ph = £6.13
Total for overnight = £64.01
On the mornings she collects at 8am or where they drop him off at 6pm (as she will sometimes), the overnight charge will be adjusted accordingly.

This means her weekly childcare is going to be £160 PLUS, and then in school hols she will need me more. This child is 5 years old nd she has his school fee on top. I feel a bit tight charging that much - does it seem right to you?

Also, I usually require payment monthly in advance and have a 4 week notice period; however, because this mum won't know her rota one week to the next, it looks like she may have to pay weekly which I feel really uneasy about - is there another way? How easy is it to charge for the full month as if she has needed me the full amount she says she will and then refund any hours not used?

sillybeans
11-09-2011, 05:30 PM
I've not started yet but i'll put my two pennies in :)

Your fees are your fees. You cant take into account what every parent who comes to you does for a living. She'll have to take it or leave it.

As for how she pays you, I would wait until she comes to see you and find out how she see's it working. If it is going to be weekly, i would take a lump sum deposit (4weeks of what mum tells you will be the average number of hours) that is refundable at the end of the contract. I would also keep your 4 week notice period.

I don't know about social workers but don't most places who work shifts have set shift patterns? Even if she only knows from week to week with which pattern it will be?

Don't know how helpful that is but Good Luck;)