PDA

View Full Version : how do you sort out girls and sharing uni houses!!!!!!

desiderata
06-09-2011, 11:25 AM
My dd is due to go back to uni for her last year and is getting very upset over the house, First year they all stayed in halls, then last year 4 girls shared a house , trouble is one room was downstairs the other 3 up. Well one of the girls chose to sleep in the downstairs room cos thats what she does at home.
Well this year only 3 of them are sharing so they had to find another house but unfortunately this one also has a bedroom downstairs.
now they all have boyfriends that stay over sometimes but are seeming to be forcing my daughter to have the downstairs room which she doesnt want to do really,

you know what young girls are like the other two are saying that because one was downstairs she should now be up but she chose it last year. The other did have a medical problem that meant she needed a loo close by but that has been fixed now she has had it treated.
Ive tried to suggest a competely independant person pulls names out of hats .
I have enough stress of my own at the moment and just cant cope with my daughter crying over this .
Sorry I know its daft just needed to vent x
if you got this far thanks xx

caz3007
06-09-2011, 11:37 AM
They should definately draw lots for the room, after all if no one wants it, then why should one be nominated to have it, should be done fairly

merry
06-09-2011, 11:43 AM
I've been through something similar with my daughter and all I can recommend is giving an alternative way of deciding, then staying well out of it. Be sympathetic to your daughter's feelings obviously, but they are adults now and need to sort it out between themselves. Hopefully once their final year is underway they'll be too busy to keep stressing about it. You have my sympathy, it's so hard when they're grown up and we can't sort out their problems any more, on my daughter's last teaching practice I wanted to go in and sort out the head teacher for her!!

:)

desiderata
06-09-2011, 11:56 AM
thanks xx well done for getting through that ,/.. yeah its hard isnt it they try to be all grown up but at the end of the day they are still our babiesxx

Mouse
06-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Couldn't they do a term each in the downstairs room? It might be a bit of a pain having to move stuff around every few months, but at least they'd all get an equal share to the upstairs rooms? And each would only have to spend a few monnths odwnstairs, rather than a whole year?

Penny1959
06-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Been there with 2 of my daughters

So it is either a complete stranger pulling names out of the hat but not just for the downstairs bedroom but for all of them - so first out hat downstairs one, second the smallest room and so on.

Or they rotate and each of them takes the downstairs room for a equal number of weeks - bit of a pain - but if won't draw names the only other way round it.

Oh and once you have made the suggestions - let them get on with it - make it clear that they are grown up now - your job ends at giving advice.

Penny :)

desiderata
06-09-2011, 12:55 PM
thank you will suggest the moving round and see what happens x

solly
06-09-2011, 01:49 PM
I have had this over the last few months with my daughter over a very small room there is 6 sharing. so they decided to draw out of a hat. My daughter was the lucky one and ended up with the loft room which is what she wanted. She also offered to pay £5 a week more for her room as it was the biggest and the girl who has the smallest room now will pay £5 a week less.

All i did was advise and then i stayed out of it.

I am sure they will all sort it out :)