PDA

View Full Version : Settlin up seems to cost so much money!

jw19nr
09-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Hello. Just wondering how much you have all spent/plan to spend on setting up.

I have already spent:
£120 on storage units
£50ish on stair gates, safety equipment etc.
£20 application fee
£45 Doctors fee
£75 First Aid course

Plus will still have to pay out for:

Toys and equipment,
CRB
Insurance
NCMA membership

Plus I am sure there is more I have fotgotten about

In a way, I am thinking maybe it wasn't worth starting! And my area don't even do a start up grant!!!

sarah707
09-05-2008, 03:41 PM
That does sound a lot...

On the plus side... your CRB is free, you don't have to be a member of the NCMA (it's optional, I've never been a member... you could even join when you're established if you want and get your insurance cheaper through Morton Michel) and you can build up the toys and equipment as you go...

And you can take all those expenses off your incomings when you start earning.

Worth plugging on... you sound as if you're nearly there! :D

mum22
09-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Hi
Just wanted to say dont give up - once the major outlays are out of the way as you've nearly done - you can as sarah says build up as you go on - once you have a mindee it will all be worthwhile.

x helen

littlewonders
09-05-2008, 03:53 PM
It can cost alot to get started :panic:

But just think once up and running it will all be worth it - thats what I keep telling myself anyway!

And as Sarah says keep a note of everything and take put it on your tax return at the end of the year :thumbsup:

cuddlybunny38
09-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Join your local freecycle site and you can get lots of things( when they come up) for free.

ma7ie
09-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Car boot sales are great for getting toys etc. I got quite a lot of stuff from them when starting up including ride on cars which cost £40 new and cost me £3.

angeldelight
09-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Dont give up it does sound a lot to start

You dont have to buy all your toys etc in one go either its taken me years to get what I have - just get the basics and build on it

Agree with the others car boots etc are great

Angel xx

katickles
09-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Yeah i agree starting up is expensive - but its all tax deductable at the end of the day :)

Spangles
09-05-2008, 10:03 PM
I agree with the others.

Try to join Freecycle, go to carboots, charity shops and school jumbles, etc you can get loads of things really cheap and good quality too if you know where to look!

miffy
11-05-2008, 07:42 AM
See if there are any resource centres near you - there you can get lots of free stuff like card, paper and things to collage.

Some even have toy libraries where for a small fee you can borrow toys for the children - this would save you quite a lot in start-up costs

Don't make the mistake of trying to buy everything before you start you really don't need that much to begin with

Why not put a couple of ads in local shops saying you are starting out as a childminder and would be interested in donations of toys - you never know you might get some work too

miffy xx