PDA

View Full Version : Garden risk assessment

Fraggle1
01-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Can I just check something?

The very back of my garden is being 'done up' at the moment, all for childminding purposes...anyway, at the moment we have weed membrane over the whole lot to stop growth to dig it up, level it and then add stones for a log cabin. Now, my own children know they are not allowed on it, and my mindee (I only have one) also knows although he is fully supervised so he doesn't go on it. My RA's show that it is a work in process and other than not looking very nice at the moment it isn't dangerous. Am I ok to say that in the RA or would they expect some kind of barrier? To be honest if I had more children of a younger age I may do that but it's me and a little one, seems daft all that extra expense when it's full supervision?
Many thanks for any advice. xx

amyf84
01-09-2011, 07:01 PM
I think as long as you state that the children are contantly supervised, there shouldnt be a problem. At the end of the day RA's are to show how you personally deal wth potential risks so as long as you can show what yo do then it will be fine.

Amy x

sarah707
01-09-2011, 08:36 PM
I agree! Take a common sense approach - full supervision and the child will learn not to go there.

Hth :D

Fraggle1
01-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Brilliant! Thanks so much, I am so naturally aware of ricks/hazards (like most of us) but that bloomin women who came to 'help me out' ha ha ha the other week dashed my confidence....really, the children know they shouldn't go there...if I can't control where they go in my garden how am I supposed to control them when out and about! Thats great - full supervision is given and in the end they will benefit from not being able to go on the very back in the short term....they have a massive garden which is fine to play in :) x

khlwomitchell
01-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Brilliant! Thanks so much, I am so naturally aware of ricks/hazards (like most of us) but that bloomin women who came to 'help me out' ha ha ha the other week dashed my confidence....really, the children know they shouldn't go there...if I can't control where they go in my garden how am I supposed to control them when out and about! Thats great - full supervision is given and in the end they will benefit from not being able to go on the very back in the short term....they have a massive garden which is fine to play in :) x

sound like my lady, she was asking about how would this utility room be safe, so i said the door handle was tricky for all but adults and the area next to it never used but she asked what if i have a strong 10yr old who could get in and climb on washing machine, and out window or drink Daz liquid.....
OMG i'm only minding under 8s!

Fraggle1
01-09-2011, 08:54 PM
They really are off there heads some of them lol all the 'what if's' yes, we take them into consideration but some are ridiculous! lol I said about my 'park' risk assessments, saying that alot are similar and cut in and said well actually no, what about when some are enclosed? some have got a gate? some have got....oh flippin eck! I risk assess every park and yes some are different but on the whole most are the same...riled me! So glad I told her I didn't want her back!! lol x

khlwomitchell
01-09-2011, 08:59 PM
They really are off there heads some of them lol all the 'what if's' yes, we take them into consideration but some are ridiculous! lol I said about my 'park' risk assessments, saying that alot are similar and cut in and said well actually no, what about when some are enclosed? some have got a gate? some have got....oh flippin eck! I risk assess every park and yes some are different but on the whole most are the same...riled me! So glad I told her I didn't want her back!! lol x

was she local planning? or ofsted? confused, how we'd all love to tell them to *** off!

miffy
01-09-2011, 09:04 PM
sound like my lady, she was asking about how would this utility room be safe, so i said the door handle was tricky for all but adults and the area next to it never used but she asked what if i have a strong 10yr old who could get in and climb on washing machine, and out window or drink Daz liquid.....
OMG i'm only minding under 8s!

For pity's sake! :rolleyes: Good job she didn't come to me - the children have to go through the utility room to get into the back garden, amazing that any of them make it really!

Miffy xx

Fraggle1
01-09-2011, 09:07 PM
For pity's sake! :rolleyes: Good job she didn't come to me - the children have to go through the utility room to get into the back garden, amazing that any of them make it really!

Miffy xx

ha ha ha I mean...what would happen if a rat ate up from the sewers and into your utility room?? and what if?? arggghhhhhhhh lol x