PDA

View Full Version : Smashed Laptop screen...... Doh !

Marshmallow
27-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Oh dear, :panic:

Mindee dropped my Laptop and smashed the screen :censored: Oh joy !
Can I claim the repair as an expense ? :confused:

Toothfairy
28-08-2011, 01:26 PM
I think you can choose to claim on either your Household Ins or your Public Liability Ins (I think they will both cover this sort of accident, you just have to decide which one to use).

sarah707
28-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Do you mean via your tax expenses?

I think you would need to ring HMRC and check as it might come under the 10% wear and tear.

They are not that hard to fit if you buy one and do it yourself :D

Chatterbox Childcare
30-08-2011, 01:38 PM
I would have thought claim it all as it wasn't wear and tear but as Sarah says call the professionals

MrAnchovy
31-08-2011, 04:52 PM
The 10% wear and tear is for furnishings, not laptops.

Repairs to a business asset are a business expense, so if you use the laptop for business, include the repair cost in your business expenses (pro-rata if only partial business use).

If it is your personal laptop that is not used for business then your only hope is a claim on your insurance, which is going to affect your premiums so may not be worth it.

Marshmallow
02-09-2011, 06:09 PM
The 10% wear and tear is for furnishings, not laptops.

Repairs to a business asset are a business expense, so if you use the laptop for business, include the repair cost in your business expenses (pro-rata if only partial business use).

If it is your personal laptop that is not used for business then your only hope is a claim on your insurance, which is going to affect your premiums so may not be worth it.

Thank you Mr Anchovy,

It is my business Laptop, so I will put it through as an expense...
Bless the ickle darlings! :cool:

MrAnchovy
02-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Don't think I've ever used the word 'business' five times in one sentence before :blush: