PDA

View Full Version : School bag for boys?

Bendy
22-08-2011, 10:56 AM
My son is starting secondary this September.

What sort of school bag do boys use these days? I want to get something that will hopefully last the school year, will be waterproof, easy to carry i.e. rucksack.

I'm not up to date on what is trendy and neither is my ds at the moment, my concern is that I will buy something naff and he will get picked on and refuse to use it.

Also need to get a bag for sports kit as well.

Any ideas on the lastest trends, tried and tested.

Thanks for any advice.

Polly2
22-08-2011, 11:22 AM
My son (14) has always gone for standard ruck sack but this year he wanted this one http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-heritage-bag-cl12-711006

Apparantly the square bags are 'in' now and they wear them across the shoulder. He also has a separate drawstring kit bag (only a real cheapy).

Whether this will stand up to my teenage boy antics that remains to be seen!!

Bendy
22-08-2011, 11:44 AM
I was looking at something similar on Saturday but wasn't sure in nike, addidas, reebok etc were trendy or naff.

I think I need to get with it :laughing:

Has anyone experience of how practical these bags are and how long they are likely to last with heavy books in them?

cs01
22-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Gola bags seems pretty popular, although didn't even last my son a full year with the weight of all the books!

Bananabrain
23-08-2011, 07:34 PM
We've tried all sorts. My son is 13. They don't seem to last that long.
Probably because he seems to think it's ok [as do his friends] to just 'lob' it on the floor all the time. Coats get lobbed on floor too.
Seem to remember last autumn that he came home filthy most days!
I'm sure we had coat hooks in my day:laughing:
In my next life I will have girls.

Bananabrain
23-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Heavy books are a real problem too. Son says he 'hasn't got time' to use lockers:laughing:
Sorry not helpful really am I?

sarah707
23-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Ds has always had back packs but this year he has chosen a single shoulder one like Polly's link - I think they must be the 'in' thing this year.

They just about last a year but it depends on footballing and how many goalposts they are used for :rolleyes:

A pocket on the side is useful for a water bottle - it invariably leaks when put in with school books :panic: :D

charleyfarley
23-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Charley (8) chose one of those shoulder bags for back to school in Sept, only thing was it was white, said it wouldn't last long in that colour but by the time we'd got home it was all marked from the shop bag :mad:

So last Sat in Tescos she saw another one she prefered so ended up buying that one too, double the cost but hey at least she has 2 bags and hopefully they will last the year.

Carol xx

khlwomitchell
23-08-2011, 08:24 PM
look at Next online, can get retro styles and if into something as cheesy as mario they have them too x

PixiePetal
23-08-2011, 09:42 PM
my son is not into labels and brands and cheaper backpacks have bitten the dust pretty quickly so I bought him a black Jansport one which has lasted 3 years now :thumbsup: and still going strong :) cost about £40 but worth every penny - mind you he does not use it as a goalpost so that might help :)