PDA

View Full Version : Can I request the learning journal from the childminder

noreenismail
18-08-2011, 10:01 AM
My little boy has been going to a childminder since he was 9months, next week will be his last week with her.

He has never bought home any paintings, drawings, daily dairy etc.

Now that I am registered, I know she should have been doing obs etc (I did sign a permission form for it).

Can I ask her for his learning journal before he leaves. I assume she does have one as she would have need to show it to Ofsted.

Thanks

Noreen.

AliceK
18-08-2011, 10:27 AM
My little boy has been going to a childminder since he was 9months, next week will be his last week with her.

He has never bought home any paintings, drawings, daily dairy etc.

Now that I am registered, I know she should have been doing obs etc (I did sign a permission form for it).

Can I ask her for his learning journal before he leaves. I assume she does have one as she would have need to show it to Ofsted.

Thanks

Noreen.

How strange. My mindees are always taking drawings / paintings home. I know some childminders don't do daily diaries as one of my mums has told me that none of her friends CM's do them. I send them home every night and they always have photo's of our day in them too.
Definitely ask her for your sons LJ :thumbsup:

xxx

Mouse
18-08-2011, 10:29 AM
I would ask if she does one, but as it's not a requirement to have a written LJ, she might not have one. The same with written obs, it's not actually a legal requirement to do written ones, so she might be able to justify that she does all her obs, planning etc in her head.

How long has your son been going to her? Has she had an Ofsted inspection in that time? If you haven't seen a copy of her report, I'd look online & see what it says about how she shares information with parents. Again, there's not obligation to do a daily diary, though she should have a reliable method of sharing info with you.

Have you been happy with your son's care while he's been with her? If you have, and has long as she's done all the basic things that she has to do, then I'd let it go. Sometimes a child's happiness is more important than a lot of paperwork. If you've had other concerns though and don't think she's done everything she's supposed to, I would take it up with her.

snufflepuff
18-08-2011, 01:56 PM
I wouldn't worry about the lack of art work coming home- I keep most of the art work my mindees do and put it in their Learning Journals. It only really goes home if it's been made specifically for Mum/ Dad, or if LO has done lots and lots of the same sort of thing in one go- I keep some and send some home.
When a child leaves my care I give the learning journal to their parents. So she may well give it to your on LOs last day- if not then i'd ask for it.

jane5
18-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I wouldnt worry, you have obviously been happy with the care that she has given him.
Although it would be nice to have some photos and art work that he has done whilst with her I would much have a child that has had lots of attention and has been happy than a child that has been told to play whilst the cm is writing up her obs :)

marleymoo
19-08-2011, 07:31 AM
I wouldnt worry, you have obviously been happy with the care that she has given him.
Although it would be nice to have some photos and art work that he has done whilst with her I would much have a child that has had lots of attention and has been happy than a child that has been told to play whilst the cm is writing up her obs :)

here here.
don't worry if she doesn't have one, it doesn't mean she hasn't been doing a fantastic job with your child. if she does have one though i'm sure she will be happy to give it to you (unless she's due an ofsted inspection and she'd like to show it off, and THEN she will give it to you but i'm sure if she's going to do that she will tell you)

mindingmummy
19-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Anything she does have in the way of learning journals ect is yours to keep once he leaves her.

I would say though that everyone does them differently - thats my biggest gripe with EYFS. We all know it has to be done but dont have guidelines of exactly how?!

noreenismail
23-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Thank you for your replies.

She has told me that he has sent it to ofsted and will give it to me in a couple of weeks.

I wasn't aware that we need to send them to ofsted. As I am starting out, could someone advice, when do we need to ofsted.

Thanks

Noreen.

rickysmiths
23-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Sent it to Ofsted :laughing: :laughing:

What an earth for? I would love to see their faces if we all sent our LJs to them every time a child left. Baloney. I suspect she may not have done one because I bet the next line will be that Ofsted have lost it!!

It sounds as if you are better off out of her care and she has been spinning a bit of a line I'm afraid. I suspect you will never see a LJ. Most of us work so hard on them that we want to show them off to the parents regularly.

Mouse
23-08-2011, 01:45 PM

She has told me that he has sent it to ofsted and will give it to me in a couple of weeks.

I wasn't aware that we need to send them to ofsted. As I am starting out, could someone advice, when do we need to ofsted.

Thanks

Noreen.

What a daft thing for her to say :rolleyes: I guess then she's never done one & will hope you forget to chase it up or else she'll try to cobble something together to give to you. She'd have been better off just sying she hadn't done one!

noreenismail
23-08-2011, 01:55 PM
I suspected as much . She is also not too happy that I have become a childminder, she tried to scare me out of it. so may not want to share it.

We didn't have much choice, in childminders and she was the best we could get, as we need someone who could speak in Urdu and provide Halal meals, at that time there werent many.

That's one of the reasons I registered.

Mouse
23-08-2011, 01:59 PM
We didn't have much choice, in childminders and she was the best we could get, as we need someone who could speak in Urdu and provide Halal meals, at that time there werent many.

That's one of the reasons I registered.

Well, hopefully you'll be able to offer all of that AND a quality service. Learn from her mistakes & you'll be great :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
23-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Well, hopefully you'll be able to offer all of that AND a quality service. Learn from her mistakes & you'll be great :thumbsup:

just what I was going to write! :thumbsup:

marleymoo
24-08-2011, 06:28 AM

Thanks

Noreen.

Sent it to OFSTED????????
I did give this lady the benefit of the doubt in my earlier post because i don't like to diss my fellow childminders but there is no way she's sent it to OFSTED because she hasn't done one in the first place and she has no evidence to give to you that she has been working within the EYFS framework with your child (or any child). She should have been honest and told you she didn't have one.
Never mind, if there is a demand for childminders who speak Urdu and prepare halal meals in your area then i'm sure you will corner the market now! she must be feeling really threatened right now.