PDA

View Full Version : Fire Guard Q

prettypink0206
07-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi all i was wondering if anyone could help me, i have a gas fire which i do not use, its not a modern one old style really, it has a metal guard on the front which is built on to it and the flames would be at the back.

My prob is do i need a fire guard? and 2 i have looked but the ones i have seen are for the open fires not gas ones, and the gas fire i have is quite wide, so what do i do? and what would ofsted say as they are due to call regarding pre-reg visit.

Many thanks
Annie x:idea:

jaja
07-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi

I got my fireguard from mothercare and it extends quite big, worth checking out. Why dont you make a list of things you are going to do and get to show ofsted then you are ready if they ask, or just ask them when they come? good luck xxx

prettypink0206
07-05-2008, 08:33 PM
thanks for that jen i will have a look
Anniex

ma7ie
07-05-2008, 08:35 PM
I am sure there are some on here that don't use a fireguard because they don't use their fires.

You would just have to make sure that the area around the fire was safe i.e if you have a hearth.

prettypink0206
07-05-2008, 08:39 PM
well just been on the mother care web and they have them there for 12.99, so quite cheap and even cheaper than argos.

Thanks for that i will get one from there.
Anniex

tulip0803
07-05-2008, 08:56 PM
When I was childminding in England I had a gas fire that I didn't use I was told on my pre-reg that I would need a fireguard even if I did not use the fire. An inspector on another inspection said I did not need to use it. I can see that sometimes the hearth can be a problem and the guard would pretect the child from falling on the hearth too.

I would wait for your pre-reg inspection and see what the inspector says, they do not expect you to have everything in place at the pre-reg.

Pipsqueak
07-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Toyboxes in front of the hearth - my inspector was fine with that. I reassured her the fire wasn't ever in use and that is was disconnected. My main concern is/was the marble hearth but (touch wood) there has never been an injury

sarah707
07-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I was told I had to have one because I have a hearth... the Mothercare one sounds just the job! :D

Jinx
07-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I have a modern, on the wall, plasma type gas fire with no guard.
I told Ofsted inspector that it would never be in use when the mindees were here and she was happy with that. I just push the coffee table up against it if we are in the lounge to stop them leaving finger prints all over it!
If I did have a fire guard, it would have to be fixed to the wall and would look naff.

Jinx x

angeldelight
08-05-2008, 08:11 AM
I have never had a fireguard and dont intend to have one

Its all about common sense like everything else

Angel xx

Straws
08-05-2008, 09:16 AM
I have a electric fire which has a isolater switch its never used. Ofsted said i needed to do something with my hearth because of the edges, so i have placed some pipe lagging around the sides of it which gets chucked in the garage at end of day

Straws xx

prettypink0206
08-05-2008, 11:27 AM
thanks for all ur help, im not sure now weather to wait for the pre-reg visit or to go out and get on mmmmm.........:idea:

Well thats something to think about, but i wouldnt want it to slow down the app process????

thanks
Annie

sarah707
08-05-2008, 11:35 AM
i wouldnt want it to slow down the app process???? thanks Annie

It won't ... the inspector will give you a list of things they expect to be in place before you start minding.

You will be asked to do the things and send back signed to say they are done.

They are then checked at your first inspection when you have been regd for 6 months or so. :D

miffy
08-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi Annie

I'm in Notts too - I don't have a fireguard and haven't had one for years because I don't use the gas fire in the lounge.

It was never an issue even before Ofsted took over and they have never even asked me about it

miffy xx

Alibali
08-05-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't use my fire while minding therefore don't feel the need to have a guard, as long as you can prove you have risk assessed the situation they should be fine with it.

Ali x

Wendy Woo
08-05-2008, 12:20 PM
thanks for all ur help, im not sure now weather to wait for the pre-reg visit or to go out and get on mmmmm.........:idea:

Well thats something to think about, but i wouldnt want it to slow down the app process????

thanks
Annie

No it wont slow things down. I still ahd some things to do wen i ahd my pre inspection and all i did was write them all down so that the inspectior could make a list and she told me to have them done asap of course and that the list will be checked on during my first proper inspection.

Cazz
08-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for asking this question - I was wondering about it myself. I have a fire which never gets used but it looks nice (sore subject with dh every winter!) and I have a marble fireplace. I don't really want a fireguard just cos I'm childminding but will probably put some kind of foam round the edges in case a mindee trips nearby. The lounge won't be the main room for minding in any case. Hopefully the inspector will be happy with this, if not a fireguard it will have to be! Now I have read this I won't be buying one until after the inspection. Thanks everyone!

Carole x

katickles
08-05-2008, 03:06 PM
I have an on the wall fire set into the wall - like Jinx. We never use it but on my pre-reg I was told that i would need a fireguard because if for some reason in the winter the heating didn't work - I would have to keep the children warm & without the fire she didn't see how this was possible. I got one - its actually a wooden one that can be used as a playpen aswell, but have never & really don't think i will ever use it.

:)

mrsb
08-05-2008, 03:23 PM
I also had a gas fire (we've ripped it out now) I never ever used it and we hadn't fo mwhen we moved to this house, the inspector was fine about it as I had also removed the knob from it so it was almost impossible to turn it on anyway. Not sure if yours is like mine but it has a decorative sort of bit on the front that had a Pinaccle, (think that's what they are called), either side of it and she said I had to cover those because if a child fell on them they would hurt themselves:rolleyes:

prettypink0206
08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
hi all,

thanks for ur replies, u all have been really helpfull.:laughing:

I think i will wait till the pre-reg visit, to see what they say, the only thing is couse its in my front room and this will be the main room for the mindees, while im in the kitchen next door(seprated with gate) they might say i cant see them all the time so what would i do then? (while im cooking) but can keep checking on them....

its just the matter of saying the right thing to them to keep them happy???

Well thanks again

Annie:thumbsup:

prettypink0206
08-05-2008, 07:46 PM
oh ps

it does have the knob on the side that is removable, and the front grill that can be removed.

Its a back boiler behind it

anniexx:D