PDA

View Full Version : parent late everyday.

donnamarie2
18-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Hi,I'm looking after a child and so far his mum has been late everyday .
I charge in advance so the fee is paid and my late policy is after 15 mins late .
She has been 15 minutes late for the last 2 weeks and when i had them last at easter and spring bank was also 15 mins late.
Should i just tell her im changing the time she's contracted for or just charge her late fees ?I only charge hourly so if i put another hour on is likely to be even later?
I gave her the benefit of the doubt before but looking at my register it's happened she's only picked up on time once!

boxtree7
18-08-2011, 07:05 AM
how come you have a policy to allow 15 minutes late collection. If it all the time I think you need to a new contract to include the additional charge. it very annoying.

miffy
18-08-2011, 07:08 AM
It sounds like she's taking full advantage of your late fees policy.

I think you need to talk to her and explain that late fees will apply if she is consistently late. Amend your policy too!

Miffy xx

Tinglesnark
18-08-2011, 07:13 AM
change your policy! i charge a fiver for every 15 mins or part thereof. I havent had to charge a late fee yet because they always call in advance if they are held up in traffic (we get a lot of traffic jams around here)
Dont give them an inch because they will always take the mile x

donnamarie2
18-08-2011, 07:18 AM
I haven't , it says that i charge for lateness per 15 mins so i really should have charged her so have answered my own question really!
As shes always late i'm going to speaatk to her about changing the time shes contracted for .
I didn't actually notice she was always late till the other day cause it ******** up me getting to the drs on time , as he only comes holidays and when he first started at easter i gave her the benefit of the doubt .

Tinglesnark
18-08-2011, 07:23 AM
i have a similar thing with my holiday only mindee except the mum turns up late in the morning. they are contracted for 8.30 but can arrive at anytime up to 10 am. It hasnt caused an issue yet (she is being given notice anyway) but they just dont seem to think that you have a life!it its the holidays after all...where on earth would YOU have to be? :rolleyes:
get her told x

donnamarie2
18-08-2011, 08:56 AM
i have a similar thing with my holiday only mindee except the mum turns up late in the morning. they are contracted for 8.30 but can arrive at anytime up to 10 am. It hasnt caused an issue yet (she is being given notice anyway) but they just dont seem to think that you have a life!it its the holidays after all...where on earth would YOU have to be? :rolleyes:
get her told x

Ha ha thanks , ive been too soft i hate doing things like this but needs must , when ive worked it out she has had quite a lot of free time off me!!
Time to toughen up !

blue bear
21-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I would write out the bill for the extra hours so far, I would make them out at normal rate with a note ' in future late fees will applie at a rate of xxx'
Best to deal with it immediately.

hollyberry
21-08-2011, 08:31 AM
I haven't , it says that i charge for lateness per 15 mins so i really should have charged her so have answered my own question really!
As shes always late i'm going to speaatk to her about changing the time shes contracted for .
I didn't actually notice she was always late till the other day cause it ******** up me getting to the drs on time , as he only comes holidays and when he first started at easter i gave her the benefit of the doubt .

I would have charged the late fee - every day she was late. You care for her child, she has to pay - for all the hours she uses - inside or outside of the contract or whatever. Or as you say change the hours - maybe you could add up 5 lots of extra 15 mins over the week which is 1 hr 15 mins and just charge her that, but tell her if she's late, you will apply the charge. Also tell her how much extra £ you have let her off in late fees over this period of time and that she needs to understand a contract is a contract. Next time, if she's late, take her child to the Drs with you - she'll soon learn that if she's not there on time, you have other things to do. Be tough.

rickysmiths
21-08-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't give 15 mins grace. My late fee is £5 for every 15mins or part of 15mins.

If a parents is late the same every day they pay this fee and I suggest we change their Contracted hours.

Where I have a persistant offender and I have some where to go. I go take the child with me and the parent either has to come to where I am to collect the child or wait until I am home. Either way they then pay until they take their child. It only takes once to stop them taking the mick.

I have done the same when a parent is always late in the morning. I have left to take my kids to school, I won't let them be late and the parent I did it to had the nerve to say she would now be late for work. She was furious that my 16yr old who was home on study leave wouldn't take the child in until I got back :angry: These parents have to be made to realise there are boundries.

khlwomitchell
21-08-2011, 01:21 PM
love charging weekly as i add it on!
my late policy is set in stone, i only do my rate in 1/2 hour increments but it makes me feel better.
My most annoying thing is baby 9mths sleeping in til nearly 10am and she asks if she can drop him when he wakes. fine by me as i get paid from 9.30 but still i have places to be!!
i have tried to point out sleeping in til 10 is not good for a baby but her husband works from home and they lay in together!!!!

caz3007
21-08-2011, 01:59 PM
my late policy is set in stone, i only do my rate in 1/2 hour increments but it makes me feel better.
My most annoying thing is baby 9mths sleeping in til nearly 10am and she asks if she can drop him when he wakes. fine by me as i get paid from 9.30 but still i have places to be!!
i have tried to point out sleeping in til 10 is not good for a baby but her husband works from home and they lay in together!!!!

In that case I would tell parent that its up to her to phone your mobile and find out where you are. I wouldnt wait in

khlwomitchell
21-08-2011, 07:07 PM
In that case I would tell parent that its up to her to phone your mobile and find out where you are. I wouldnt wait in

good point! when she is at work f/t soon she'll be up early and it'll be tough luck on the whole house!

onceinabluemoon
21-08-2011, 07:44 PM

I've never heard of this before, can I ask why it is bad for a baby to sleep in until they have had enough sleep?

khlwomitchell
21-08-2011, 08:05 PM
I've never heard of this before, can I ask why it is bad for a baby to sleep in until they have had enough sleep?

oh, sorry, not unhealthy per say but its milk induced stupor to keep him asleep and he's in need of the routine when he comes to me f/t.
He wakes a 7am but then fed bottles of milk until daddy ready to get up.
I'm old fashioned for routines from an early age, even before pre-school comes into it. up and breakfast maybe morning nap for an hour, then playgroup, lunch and nap then more play and home.
Then again if i wasn't working and was able to be in bed til 10......:laughing: