PDA

View Full Version : eyfs

jake
16-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Can anyone please advise me on which course to do?I have not had chance yet to get stuck into the eyfs properly yet as iv had mindees that have left after only a few weeks.And so for a while now iv only had one mindee who is out of the eyfs,but in september i have two new starters and i dont really understand about how to obs or assessments to see where a child is already at.Is there a course i could do online that would show me how to do all this and that would show me how to put a learning journal together ect...I feel totally lost and really worried that i wont be doing anything right and will be having my first proper inspection soon! please help!! thanks jake x

marleymoo
16-08-2011, 01:34 PM
take a deep breath.....
Ofsted won't expect you to be an expert on EYFS. it took me over a year to find a system that suits me and my business. don't worry.
keep it all very simple. the NCMA have some excellent training workshops around planning, obs etc so get yourself booked on if you can. if the date is not for some time yet, put it in your reflective journal (diary) and make Mrs O aware that you know your strengths and areas for development and you are doing what you can to rectify them by attending training asap. if there aren't any dates coming up, ask your local authority childcare development worker to help you find some training. if you email, print a copy off and put it and any responses into your reflective journal (all evidence of being a reflective practitoner, continuing personal and professional development).
now, the eyfs pack has a disc inside. on that disc there are examples of observation formats that you can print straight off and use. if you don't have a hard copy, have a look at the online version. you can actually download it on smart phones, ipad etc
let me know you have done this and then post again so i can give you some more ideas (don't try to run before you can walk, you'll just trip up and smash your teeth out)
i know it all must seem really scary to you but really, it isn't, it's just time consuming!

jake
18-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Thankyou so much for that,i will have a look over the weekend at the disc and get back to you.Also is one planned activity a day enough?And the rest be child led? thankyou for your help. jake:)

sarah707
18-08-2011, 05:23 PM
It totally depends on the child - some children need a lot more leading and help and support than others.

For some children 1 planned activity might be plenty but for others you might need to plan much more to meet their needs.

Hth :D

marleymoo
19-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Thankyou so much for that,i will have a look over the weekend at the disc and get back to you.Also is one planned activity a day enough?And the rest be child led? thankyou for your help. jake:)

in my humble opinion, if your activity is planned to meet the current interests and needs of the children, then it should be enough to sustain their learning and development, afterall, you will have planned from what you have observed. naturally you can enhance the activity throughout the day, by adding resources to go with the flow and to expand their learning. there's no reason why one well planned activity cannot last the whole day and, quite often, it can even last the whole week if children are sufficiently engaged and challenged and so it becomes more child led. make a note on your plan of the enhancements you have made (good evidence of being reflective too).

marleymoo
19-08-2011, 08:51 AM

the adult led part of your planning should be the new vocab you will introduce, the new idea or problem you will be introducing, the open ended questions you will ask, scaffolding their learning (and knowing when to take a step back) and demonstrating what might/could be done in the activity. does this make sense to you?