PDA

View Full Version : Couch to 5K

Tealady
14-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Has anybody done this running programme on the NHS Choices website? If so how did you find it?

I'm not a natural runner but looking for a cheap way to get fit

louised
14-08-2011, 02:54 PM
I started it in January on a treadmill and completed it after 9 weeks. Then progressed to outdoor running which I now do every day. Had never ran before in my life but I'm addicted now. Along with changes to my diet I am now 3 stone lighter than I was when I started and i'm maintaining my new weight with daily runs:)

Mamma4Ya
14-08-2011, 03:04 PM
We have made one of our bedrooms into a gym, mostly for hubby really, although I was doing good on the treat mill up until a few months ago before I tore a ligament in my groin. Now I am so busy I am unable to make it from the couch to upstairs. :ROFL1:

WibbleWobble
14-08-2011, 03:20 PM
thinking of doing this myself...as i am overweight and have high bp, asthma etc.

i like the slowly slowly approach

mandy xxx

amanda1309
14-08-2011, 03:40 PM
I started it but never finished it:blush:

I'm not a runner but I did enjoy it but had to do it slowly and did week one for 3 weeks as I was struggling. :blush:

I am going to start it again after my holidays

Greengrass74
14-08-2011, 03:48 PM
I started this 2 weeks ago when we brought a treadmill and I love it, :clapping: Claire is a keen runner, she is always doing 10k runs and my aim is to join here.

I would say the couch to 5k is one of the best ways to start.

Good luck with the start of your running career :thumbsup:

tashaleee
14-08-2011, 04:40 PM
I tried this and ... well lets just say the last time I ran I was at school and that was some time ago! :blush:

I was convinced I couldnt do it - the first week almost killed me! (I run outside so have been seen by quite a few people including those I childmind for - cant figure out if thats good or bad!) But I progressed and by the end of it I was running for 30 mins (about 3 miles) without too much problem.

I figure if I can do it anyone can :thumbsup:

loocyloo
14-08-2011, 04:41 PM
i've been slowly doing 3k since may, but haven't been out for 3 weeks due to DH being away with work/school hols and then being away ourselves!

think i need to look at the couch-5k and give it a go as have slightly lost momentum. i went to a running shop and bought an expensive pair of running shoes, as i also knew, that i would feel compelled to use them, as they cost so much! ;) it worked! each run i work out how much it has cost so far, and am enjoying getting the cost down!!!

jayjay1963
14-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Does anyone have the link for this as I can't find it:(

Jacqui

Greengrass74
14-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Try this

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

jayjay1963
14-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks Dave you are a star:clapping: :clapping:

Jacqui

shazsull
14-08-2011, 07:18 PM
thanks dave ,my hubbies working 4 days away starting tomorrow and i feel i need something to do & cheer me up im not looking forward to this week!!!

Mamma4Ya
15-08-2011, 07:44 AM
After replying to your post yesterday saying I was too busy too go from couch to upstairs to use the tread mill since tearing a ligament, I decided that 5 mins running was better than nothing. I actually managed to get on there twice yesterday and have promised to make the effort to get on daily.

Thank you for posting it has given me the insentive to exercise again which is much needed :)

Greengrass74
15-08-2011, 07:56 AM
After replying to your post yesterday saying I was too busy too go from couch to upstairs to use the tread mill since tearing a ligament, I decided that 5 mins running was better than nothing. I actually managed to get on there twice yesterday and have promised to make the effort to get on daily.

Thank you for posting it has given me the insentive to exercise again which is much needed :)

Excellent :thumbsup: And remember even if you only do 5 mins running, that is 5 mins more more than you was doing yesterday. :clapping:

mumto3
15-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Im on my 4th week of jogging now but on week 3 of couch to 5k coz i doubled up first couple of weeks, i really enjoy it, im only jogging up to 1.5 min blocks but at the beginning i really struggled with doing even 1 minute, this week is harder with doing 2 and 3 mins :eek: i try and go 4 or 5 times a week but def 3

I think there is a big difference using a treadmill and being outside, outside is harder i think

I have the app on my fone and it tells u when to walk and run, i recommend it, im addicted to running now and want to attempt a half marathon next yr

Mamma4Ya
15-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Im on my 4th week of jogging now but on week 3 of couch to 5k coz i doubled up first couple of weeks, i really enjoy it, im only jogging up to 1.5 min blocks but at the beginning i really struggled with doing even 1 minute, this week is harder with doing 2 and 3 mins :eek: i try and go 4 or 5 times a week but def 3

I think there is a big difference using a treadmill and being outside, outside is harder i think

I have the app on my fone and it tells u when to walk and run, i recommend it, im addicted to running now and want to attempt a half marathon next yr

Go for it well done :clapping:

Mamma4Ya
15-08-2011, 12:46 PM

I find it harder on the tread mill as you have to keep changing speed, where as outside you just do it :)

jayjay1963
15-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I signed up for the email newsletters earlier today and plan to have a go when I get back from Cyprus at the end of the month:eek: Hubby and I both need to lose weight and this is sure to help!

Jacqui

Tealady
15-08-2011, 04:53 PM
As I said I'm not a natural runner, was always last at cross country at school but I did always run the whole route (mainly because there was always a teacher bringing up the rear). A couple of people at my Slimming World group recommended it but I wanted to get some other opinions. Thanks for your responses. Hopefully this might help my weight loss along.