PDA

View Full Version : Retainer whilst at school???

happyfeet
13-08-2011, 08:40 AM
One of my ey's will be starting school in sept, so their new hours will be before and after school. Then 3 full days in hols.

Therefore is it acceptable or fair to charge retainer for the hours whilst they're in school (with them being one of my under 5's) and full for the holidays they use (and agree no fee for holidays they don't.)

Or

Charge only for mornings and after school with full fees in all holidays whether they're used or not (unless I'm off same time which would mean no charge)

I need to draw up new contract soon but want to be fair to her as well as not robbing myself.

I didn't charge retainer for my other after schools but that's because they weren't in my early years group so it didn't have an effect what time I could have my little ones during the day. If I took on another to fill the space whilst this one at school then I'd have to make sure they were here after 9 and gone by 3 ready for the school pick up.

Pipsqueak
13-08-2011, 08:44 AM
I would ONLY charge whilst a child is at school IF I was the designated emergency person 'on call' in stead of teh parent.

You do know that once a child starts full time school (even if they are just 4) you can put them into your 5-8yr age group - however you need the clause on your certificate from Ofsted.

That way the child is not taking up a precious under 5's space

jane5
13-08-2011, 08:56 AM
As pip says if the lo is at school for 10 sessions a week she will go up to your 5-8 age group and you can replace with another ey's lo, but you have to inform ofsted.

happyfeet
13-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Really!!!

I didn't realise that. I thought they were in the early years until 31st Aug of year of 5th birthday and he won't be 5 til aug next year.

(he's youngest in class)

I think I prob would be the person on call as I'll be getting him at 7 til 5:30

happyfeet
13-08-2011, 10:31 AM
If he moves up into my next age group, do I still need to do planning and obs etc because he is still actually under 5????

If it's only before and after school there's not much opportunity for obs. We go to park after school then home have tea then hometime.

rickysmiths
13-08-2011, 10:53 AM
One of my ey's will be starting school in sept, so their new hours will be before and after school. Then 3 full days in hols.

Therefore is it acceptable or fair to charge retainer for the hours whilst they're in school (with them being one of my under 5's) and full for the holidays they use (and agree no fee for holidays they don't.)

Or

Charge only for mornings and after school with full fees in all holidays whether they're used or not (unless I'm off same time which would mean no charge)

I need to draw up new contract soon but want to be fair to her as well as not robbing myself.

I didn't charge retainer for my other after schools but that's because they weren't in my early years group so it didn't have an effect what time I could have my little ones during the day. If I took on another to fill the space whilst this one at school then I'd have to make sure they were here after 9 and gone by 3 ready for the school pick up.

If they are in school 10 sessions a week then they won't be counted in your Early Years anyway. They will be in your 5-8 numbers.

Yes you do have to continue his LJ until 31st August after he is 5 so the year he is in Reception.

Hebs
13-08-2011, 11:38 AM
If he moves up into my next age group, do I still need to do planning and obs etc because he is still actually under 5????

If it's only before and after school there's not much opportunity for obs. We go to park after school then home have tea then hometime.

yes you do, but i just do a scrap book for my schoolies rather than a full LJ once they are at school

Chimps Childminding
13-08-2011, 04:41 PM
If parent is expecting you to be emergency contact I would make it understood that it would only be if the school closed unexpectedly or he needed picking up for something that wouldn't be contagious to any other children in your care!! eg I won't pick up a child who has been sick or an upset tummy as I don't want it passed onto the others. Thats when parents/grandparents should be called on :thumbsup: