PDA

View Full Version : First parent visit yesterday

Balibali
13-08-2011, 06:36 AM
I'm waiting for her phone now but I'll be surprise if she say yes.
She came with her two children n her mum, n then the 2 years old do some painting while I'm holding her well cute baby n little chat which we can't do too much, i then make coffee n the 2 years old play with my 7 years old daughter n to be honest I think their children loves playing here but if I look back I think I don't look good for her I'm not professional enough!
I have it all planned like show them around and show my policy n activities etc but I'm sooo nervous I done none!! And to make things worse,I don't even gave her my business card or the parents pack!! Oh feels like screaming now!!
But I have another one coming on Monday. I hope I can do better.
Wish me luck please.

Mamma4Ya
13-08-2011, 07:10 AM
All fingers crossed for you. It can be nerve racking meeting others for the first time especially when your trying to sell yourself.

Balibali
13-08-2011, 07:19 AM
All fingers crossed for you. It can be nerve racking meeting others for the first time especially when your trying to sell yourself.

Yes I was feeling hot n it wasn't hot at all! Oh hope that she can take all consideration and the fact that the children like me:(
you absolutly right Hannah, I can't sell anything,but I'm a good buyer lol

mummyMia
13-08-2011, 09:32 AM
I know how you feel! My first visit went just like this. I was soooo nervous. I had planned on taking the mum around the house and telling her various things as we went but on the day my mind just went blank. I ended up just saying this like 'here is the toys area' and then couldn't think of a another single thing to say:blush: When she asked about activities I completely forgot what types of things we do.:blush: :blush: I felt so embarrased afterwards and never heard back from the mum.

On hindsight I think I was trying to 'sell' myself too much and that made me really nervous. With the next visit I stopped trying to sell myself and treated it more like a friend coming over for coffee. It was all a lot more relaxed and I concentrated on asking lots of questions about the lo rather than talking about myself. The visit went really well and mum signed up on the spot:)

jadavi
13-08-2011, 10:10 AM
I think parents go very much on their gut feeling if you seem a nice person and kind (I did as a parent)

I agree with a post last week that said if you dont hear back it often is because they sorted family or a friend...people are so hard up these days and tax credit going down from 80 to 70% didnt help of course.

Don't beat yourself up as these things are so often out of our control. I'd much rather have a genuine caring person chatting normally than seeing policies or hearing activites and her trying to sell herself.

I had a new mum with 9 month baby last week and the min she walked in I knew it wouldnt work as shes so scared of leaving baby and will most likely (imo) not be able to bring herself to do it...but its all to do with her and not me!! still felt a bit demoralised after but there you go...

Balibali
13-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I know how you feel! My first visit went just like this. I was soooo nervous. I had planned on taking the mum around the house and telling her various things as we went but on the day my mind just went blank. I ended up just saying this like 'here is the toys area' and then couldn't think of a another single thing to say:blush: When she asked about activities I completely forgot what types of things we do.:blush: :blush: I felt so embarrased afterwards and never heard back from the mum.

On hindsight I think I was trying to 'sell' myself too much and that made me really nervous. With the next visit I stopped trying to sell myself and treated it more like a friend coming over for coffee. It was all a lot more relaxed and I concentrated on asking lots of questions about the lo rather than talking about myself. The visit went really well and mum signed up on the spot:)

oh glad I'm not alone :) I had so many things going in my brain n the result I done none of them. But thank you for your advise I will try that for my next. She sounded friendly and relaks this one so hope everything goes well.

Thank you

Balibali
13-08-2011, 11:42 AM
I think parents go very much on their gut feeling if you seem a nice person and kind (I did as a parent)

I agree with a post last week that said if you dont hear back it often is because they sorted family or a friend...people are so hard up these days and tax credit going down from 80 to 70% didnt help of course.

Don't beat yourself up as these things are so often out of our control. I'd much rather have a genuine caring person chatting normally than seeing policies or hearing activites and her trying to sell herself.

I had a new mum with 9 month baby last week and the min she walked in I knew it wouldnt work as shes so scared of leaving baby and will most likely (imo) not be able to bring herself to do it...but its all to do with her and not me!! still felt a bit demoralised after but there you go...

I think it's very hard to start childminding unless you in a high demand. To be honest when I do the course 2 years a go it was only about 3-4 childminders at my local school. But when I finally start The Childminder now about 9 including me. I wish I start straight away :(
Do you think I should ring her just to say if I can drop parents packand my card?or should I just leave it?

marleymoo
13-08-2011, 02:02 PM
I think it's very hard to start childminding unless you in a high demand. To be honest when I do the course 2 years a go it was only about 3-4 childminders at my local school. But when I finally start The Childminder now about 9 including me. I wish I start straight away :(
Do you think I should ring her just to say if I can drop parents packand my card?or should I just leave it?

hm, i think i would leave it.
i take the mummyMia approach. in fact, i usually ask parents to come without their child for the first visit to see if we gel first. you can't usually talk when their child is there with them because they always act so needy and always want a drink, or a biscuit or use the toilet a million times - it drives me crazy. we don't go through policies or contracts or anything - i just explain how i do things and invite lots and lots of questions and ask about their family life/work too. naturally she can see how the other children are getting along whilst she's here and will get a pretty good idea how her little treasure will get on here.
if we arrange another meeting, then the child is welcome to come. if i didn't particularly like the parent or i wasn't suited with her hours then i would call to say the place has gone with an existing parent needing more hours. that way, i don't feel as though i've minded her child for the past 1 1/2 hours for nothing! i can't be doing working with people i don't like when i have the choice not to, especially when i have to see these people every day - and in my own home too. no way
i'd let it go, if you think it went bad then it probably did. it's a learning curve.

marleymoo
13-08-2011, 02:07 PM

she would have been a TERRIBLE parent to work with - you've had a lucky escape there, x
it's natural for new parents to be a bit anxious but this can transfer to the child too and believe me, it can make your life a living hell, especially when you are caring for others too. just read some of the other threads, they will really open your eyes :laughing:

Balibali
13-08-2011, 08:59 PM
hm, i think i would leave it.
i take the mummyMia approach. in fact, i usually ask parents to come without their child for the first visit to see if we gel first. you can't usually talk when their child is there with them because they always act so needy and always want a drink, or a biscuit or use the toilet a million times - it drives me crazy. we don't go through policies or contracts or anything - i just explain how i do things and invite lots and lots of questions and ask about their family life/work too. naturally she can see how the other children are getting along whilst she's here and will get a pretty good idea how her little treasure will get on here.
if we arrange another meeting, then the child is welcome to come. if i didn't particularly like the parent or i wasn't suited with her hours then i would call to say the place has gone with an existing parent needing more hours. that way, i don't feel as though i've minded her child for the past 1 1/2 hours for nothing! i can't be doing working with people i don't like when i have the choice not to, especially when i have to see these people every day - and in my own home too. no way
i'd let it go, if you think it went bad then it probably did. it's a learning curve.

Thank you for this, i defenetly going to suggest that to my next one. But with this one I feel more relaks (maybe I know I've done my worsed) lol

khlwomitchell
13-08-2011, 10:28 PM
i have a very useful form that i was given with my registration stuff so take my lead from that.
The moment the parents turn up i say that all minders have to have the same legal stuff so its about how they like my home and if we click. thats all that matters on the first visit. Then when relaxed and if the kids are behaving move onto the paperwork.

worst day ever, my first day, little 4 mth old hate loud noises, i pick him up, my 12mth old crys and noice starts of baby!! Ahhh parents left me with two SCREAMING kids and a worried look! ps all was fine!

Balibali
15-08-2011, 09:44 AM
It's went really welll! Wohoooooo
Lol she s not sign yet but I'm excited. The minutes I open the door, she look friendly and bubbly. The children love it, and all gies well, but she doesn't even want to look at my policies etc tho? I'm guessing cos she's been using childminder before?
Anyway I'm happy ( can you imaginenif she sign then) lol

khlwomitchell
15-08-2011, 06:27 PM
congrats poppyval!
It seems to be two or three enquiries until you get real interst.
So many parents have to start enquiring really early then things change, like deciding not to go back to work. unless they turn up on my door step to visit a phone call means nothing!

Balibali
17-08-2011, 07:26 AM
congrats poppyval!
It seems to be two or three enquiries until you get real interst.
So many parents have to start enquiring really early then things change, like deciding not to go back to work. unless they turn up on my door step to visit a phone call means nothing!

She text me last nite, to say that she choose the other cm, simply cos the school that she covered (not the one that I'm but close) but we remind friend.

I have another 2 coming on Thursday n Saturday. But again won't hope too much as this one also hasn't decide which school to go.

marleymoo
20-08-2011, 09:17 AM
She text me last nite, to say that she choose the other cm, simply cos the school that she covered (not the one that I'm but close) but we remind friend.

I have another 2 coming on Thursday n Saturday. But again won't hope too much as this one also hasn't decide which school to go.

you're generating a lot of interest - well done.
i hope your next 2 visits go well, i really do, but if they don't, then you really need to sit yourself down and ask yourself why. if you really can't see an issue then i would ask another cm to come to your home and ask her opinion about your setting, policies etc or even your local authority childcare development worker. if there is an underlying problem, you need to get it sorted out sooner rather than later.
if it's the locality of schools that you cover or don't cover, ask about this in the initial phone call instead of giving up your personal time to new prospective parents when you could have established that you can't help them.
it will save the demoralising knock backs.

Linda Mc
09-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm waiting for her phone now but I'll be surprise if she say yes.
She came with her two children n her mum, n then the 2 years old do some painting while I'm holding her well cute baby n little chat which we can't do too much, i then make coffee n the 2 years old play with my 7 years old daughter n to be honest I think their children loves playing here but if I look back I think I don't look good for her I'm not professional enough!
I have it all planned like show them around and show my policy n activities etc but I'm sooo nervous I done none!! And to make things worse,I don't even gave her my business card or the parents pack!! Oh feels like screaming now!!
But I have another one coming on Monday. I hope I can do better.
Wish me luck please.

I've only just started childminding & I went through the exact same thing!

Only the mum & her little one came but I was so nervous I felt sick. She was really nice but I wasn't very well prepared as I left it until that day to print out some things for her to look at & my printer ran out of ink. Learned from that mistake! :panic:

She turned out to be really nice but I still didn't cover half the things I wanted to & after she left I thought of all the things I should have said.

I hate having to talk about the money side of things & found that really difficult too.

On a plus note she seemed really keen & is going to give me a ring about when her little can start. Fingers crossed!

Trust me you're not alone & I love this website because when you post a question or problem there's always someone willing to help you out. :thumbsup:

I'm hoping it gets easier the more times I have to do it, but it helps to know I'm not alone! :laughing: