PDA

View Full Version : Multi cultural toys

sheila27
10-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi sorry it's another question. At my support visit I was told that I should get some multi cultural toys, however I was waiting until I start minding because I'm not sure how old the children I will be looking after will be. I was looking for some ideas on what are good multi cultural toys to buy as I don't want to waste my money if they don't suit the age group I will be looking after. Any ideas would really help me thanks.

green puppy
10-08-2011, 02:41 PM
I have the happyland "people of the world" set which are great for all ages. I also have many books, puzzles, games that show diversity, music cd's from around the world, a selection of dolls- various skin tones, glasses, freckles, hair colour, one speaks french, one says a prayer..... a selection of instruments from around the world, various role play items- ethnic outfits, various careers outfits, chopsticks, wok, play food......... I don't separate items into multi culteral, all of my resources are available at all times.

Rain or Shine
10-08-2011, 03:02 PM
You have so much....I really want to make more of my resources but i currently have no children so no money to do it.

The happyland set looks really nice. Ebay is a good place to look for cheaper 2nd hand bits, or car boot sales xxx

Lear
10-08-2011, 03:33 PM
I have the happyland "people of the world" set which are great for all ages. I also have many books, puzzles, games that show diversity, music cd's from around the world, a selection of dolls- various skin tones, glasses, freckles, hair colour, one speaks french, one says a prayer..... a selection of instruments from around the world, various role play items- ethnic outfits, various careers outfits, chopsticks, wok, play food......... I don't separate items into multi culteral, all of my resources are available at all times.

Wow - I've taken note of what you have - that's an impressive lot of toys!

Optimalstar
10-08-2011, 03:40 PM
It's an area I'm working to address. Likewise I'm newly registered and without any mindees yet. My 2 lo's are 9months and 2 (in 10 days)... I'm focusing on things for them at the minute so at least they'll get used.

Need to check through the books I have to see if i'm lacking. I know in the nursery I used to work in we had a whole array of books I don't have.

At the minute I've a few small world figures, a peg board puzzle(given as a free gift from childminding course - we got to choose what we wanted), a spanish doll(present to dd from older dd), a black doll inherited from same older dd.

Need to check through dressing up but I'm sure that's lacking too and no idea what's in the play food.

No idea if it's standard across the country but we have a toy library and the minute my membership comes through I'm planning to raid that for everything I'm lacking.

Sam x

(http://www.samanthachildminder.co.uk)

jane5
10-08-2011, 04:21 PM
I got some black and Asian dolls from amazon for £4.99 each, and I have been able to get some good books from charity shops and I have just got a book off amazon called my 2 grannies £3.99. This is about a mixed race little girl and my lo's love it.
If you go abroad have a look on the markets for musical instruments, I have just got some good ones from Lanzarotte.

miffy
10-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Charity shops and car boot sales are a good place to look for secondhand multicultural items.

Books can be borrowed from your local library and it's worth checking if you have a toy library near you that you could borrow items from.

You do not always have to buy expensive items - you could celebrate a few festivals with the children, there is lots of information and activity ideas on line or search for ideas on the forum. You could cut pictures from magazines of people with different skin colour, hairstyles, wearing glasses etc etc and make a poster or scrapbook with the children.

Over time you will build up your resources and, as you get children to look after, can put things in place for different age groups.

Miffy xx