PDA

View Full Version : OU Fees

sdean
09-08-2011, 07:02 AM
hi, I am currently studying Foundation Degree with OU. We have received an email stating that from Sept 2012 all fees will rise from £700 per module to £2500 per module.

If you have already started a qualification before then fees will remain at £700 until completion of your qualification and you have until 2017 to complete it.

Just thought I would post in case there is anyone trying to decide whether to start this year or delay!! £10,000 for a foundation degee or £2,800 it is a big difference isn't it !

Cammie Doodle
09-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Wow :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Optimalstar
10-08-2011, 06:43 PM
I'd never afford that now, I struggled when I studied in the past. The reason my masters is on hold, it's too expensive. I think they assume if you've a first degree then you must be earning a decent salary. Plus they don't offer the masters in smaller chunks like they do a first degree. As in less than 60 point courses. With small children and a job it's just too hard to study a 60 point course. Even if they gave the option to study a 60 point course over a longer period of time it'd be more accessible than right now.

marleymoo
20-08-2011, 03:29 PM
aren't foundation degrees only 2 years?

i'm wanting to do my masters too and i feel i should strike while the iron's hot. our local uni fees are on hold for a year and then they are trebling in 2012 so really i should get on and do it now for financial reasons but i just can't fit it in. what is a girl to do?

QUOTE: I think they assume if you've a first degree then you must be earning a decent salary.

and i think this is true too and yet my fee remains the same now as when i started 7 years ago - they have certainly not gone up in line with my level of qualification or experience. parents simply don't care if i have a first class honours degree or not, so long as i'm registered and they can claim tax credits......

Rubybubbles
23-08-2011, 01:56 PM
:eek: I am looking at starting mine this year, maybe next

I need to get hubby home so I can talk with him! TBH £700 is alot of money:(

sdean
23-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Foundation degree is 2 years if you do it at college as it is classed as nearly full time study (full day at college and an eve I think) but with OU it is 4 modules and you can do it in two years but that would need 32 hours of study commitment at least a week so most of us with ou have done one unit per year.

£700 is a lot of money a year but not as bad as £2500. you could apply to your local authority - i have had mine nearly all funded by the council early years - I have been very lucky .:)

Mouse
23-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Blimey, that's a lot of money.

You could always try student finance to see if you are entitled to any help with the costs.

marleymoo
23-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Foundation degree is 2 years if you do it at college as it is classed as nearly full time study (full day at college and an eve I think) but with OU it is 4 modules and you can do it in two years but that would need 32 hours of study commitment at least a week so most of us with ou have done one unit per year.

£700 is a lot of money a year but not as bad as £2500. you could apply to your local authority - i have had mine nearly all funded by the council early years - I have been very lucky .:)

i got EVERY SINGLE PENNY paid for by my LA and i got a £2000 reward to enhance my EY provision. I also got a £2000 bursary to pay my childminding assistant to work with my co-worker so i didn't even have to pay her myself for the year! how good's that? (ps i only had to do year 2)