PDA

View Full Version : Before i send her the email...

Mainey84
08-08-2011, 09:07 PM
I have a mum VERY interested in using me as soon as i am set up...yay!

Today she has asked me to email her how much a month i will charge for having her son 5 days a week. I thought wayhay, then she said her mum would want him some times "What like a few days every fortnight?"....no once a month...for the full week! :ohdear:

So i have come up with 3 choices for her

One: only charge for the 36 weeks he should be with me, the other 12 i don't charge but if her mum lets her down then i can't guarantee i can take him. She'll also need to give me plenty of notice and i can then make my income up with ad-hoc.

Two: Full fee for the full 48 weeks, i'm then available if she ever needs me when her mum can't and i can be more flexable when her mum has him (ie, not as much notice needed)

Three: 36 weeks full fee and half fee for the 12 weeks as a retainer.

My question is...If she chooses option three and then needs to use me the week he should be with his nan, do i then make the day/s up to full fee or leave it as the half fee?

Sorry if it's a really stupid question LOL

wendywu
08-08-2011, 09:09 PM
No make it up to full fee as she is using you for the full week. :D

Goatgirl
08-08-2011, 09:22 PM
HI :),
When you charge a retainer it is for holding the place open. If she used it after all you would top it up to full fees :thumbsup:

For what its worth though, Unless you have nearby childminders who would offer the 1st option and tempt her to go with someone else, I wouldn't go for this. Its very unlikely you'll find ad hoc mindees to fit in and you'd be losing alot of income over the year. a quarter of potential income and your own holidays and sick days if these are unpaid :(

Another way to do option 1 would be to charge a higher rate....

Just make sure you're really happy with all the options you're offering:its very common for childminders starting up to charge less and learn fast that its very hard to raise fees once we've made the commitment. Go with your gut feeling. There's nothing wrong with making your preferred offer, asking what she thinks and going with your second best as a back up plan :D

Whatever you go with, good luck. Hope it works out well for you all :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

Mainey84
08-08-2011, 09:32 PM
To be honest, i dont think there is any chance of her going with another minder. She specifically said to her ex/the child's father (who first mentioned sending him to a childminer) she wants a childminder she knows and I will be the only one haha. I am actually about an hour away by bus (she doesn't drive) and she knows it'll be a trek but is still interested. Also I work out cheaper than all the nurseries around her and that's including the bus pass she'll need haha

I already know it'll only be until he starts school (he is 1yr 5months) so I dont mind for a first mindee, a friend and the chance to get out of my current place of work ;)