PDA

View Full Version : Expenses - how does it work for...

applesmum
06-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi All

Just need some advice with regards to what are expenses - I have just bought a sandpit and a gazebo to go over it to keep it shaded.
They were bought for use of the minded children although my own daughter would also benefit from them. Can I therefore only claim a percentage of them?

Also I have been advised by Development worker that I can only claim 50% of the cost of a double buggy as my own daughter would accomodate one of the seats? Can anyone confirm if this is correct. And if this is the case does this go for toys too as my daughter plays with loads of the toys I bought for mindees????

Gosh ....I find the book keeping side of things so confussing!!!!:confused:

Kind Regards

Joanne

mrsb
06-05-2008, 07:10 PM
I always work on the theory, would you have bought it if you weren't childminding? If you would then I don't claim for it, If you wouldn't have bothered if you weren't childminding then claim for it ;)

hope that sort of makes sense lol

katickles
06-05-2008, 07:12 PM
No way would I only claim 50% of double buggy - I'd claim for the buggy regardless if my owm lo was going in it or not.

Like Mrsb says - if its for minding - claim :)

sarah707
06-05-2008, 07:18 PM
I totally agree! :D

wendywu
06-05-2008, 07:21 PM
How can the tax man prove who plays with what and you may buy £10000 worth of toys for your own children but he would not see those receipts as you would not put them through your accounts!!!!!!!!!!! Claim for all the toys you buy. They get replaced much quicker when you mind any way as they get broken. This week alone my lot have broken One ELC kettle one ELC microwave oven and one dolls high chair. Thats £39.00 to replace. :angry:

As for the double buggy if you were not minding you would not buy one, so i would put it through.

brillminder
06-05-2008, 08:46 PM
did she say when she walks you can claim other half:laughing: lol

brillminder
06-05-2008, 08:47 PM
remember you can sell your daughter toys , equipment to your childminding too! instead of taking them to car boot etc

manjay
06-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I suppose that would then mean that I couldn't put my buggy board through my books as it is my ds that stands on it when I use the single:panic: Have to say most things go through my books (including my double buggy and my buggy board) and I would give a good fight if Mr taxman ever questioned anything. Mindees use most toys in my house and as wendy says they get so much use they don't last as long as if it were just my children using them.

amanda xx

ma7ie
06-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I put my double buggy through my accounts. I would never have bought one if I hadn't been minding.

Eagles4ever
06-05-2008, 09:20 PM
I'd put the double buggy through cos if you weren't minding you wouldn't need a double!

wendywu
06-05-2008, 11:19 PM
My accountant puts through a portion of my broadband payment, a portion of the fee charged to have my shopping delivered, a portion of my pension. I claim for the extra box to run cable into the play room. Dont forget all ink and paper for the computer :)

SimplyLucy
07-05-2008, 03:29 AM
I bought all my childrens old toys off them (well I never actually gave them the money!).

Saved doing a car boot sale, and added together with the baby equipment I bought from myself it was quite a chunk out of my income.:D

Now as my children grow out of toys I decide if I want to keep them for childminding and put a reasonable second hand proce though my books, I just think what would I pay for it at a carboot sale and add a bit more!

I'm sure my children are going to twig soon and actually demand the money! :rolleyes:

crazybones
07-05-2008, 06:22 AM
I bought all my childrens old toys off them (well I never actually gave them the money!).

Saved doing a car boot sale, and added together with the baby equipment I bought from myself it was quite a chunk out of my income.:D

Now as my children grow out of toys I decide if I want to keep them for childminding and put a reasonable second hand proce though my books, I just think what would I pay for it at a carboot sale and add a bit more!

I'm sure my children are going to twig soon and actually demand the money! :rolleyes:

I have never thought of doing that all these years. When I think of all the toys belonging to my 11 year old that I would have got rid of - not expecting Will to arrive! Can only do it now with Will's toys I suppose

SimplyLucy
07-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Just go though all the toys you have and if it's a "share" toy buy it into your business.

We were taught to do this at our Introduction to childminding course.

helenlc
05-07-2008, 12:23 PM
At my ICP and Tax and NI course, we were told we can put through "justifiable expenses". So, basically, if the tax man were to go through your books and ask "What is this here?" as long as you can JUSITFY buying the item for childminding, then its ok.

At the end of the day, if you were not childminding, you would not need the double buggy. So you have bought it for childminding, regardless of whether its your daughter who sits in it as well.

In regards to her playing with toys, my children are 8 and 10 and although I buy things aimed at the 2 and 3 yr old i mind, they play with them too. I put the whole cost through as if I didnt need them for childminding, I wouldnt buy them. My own children have enough toys but still play with the childminding stuff.

I put it all through, as long as I can JUSTIFY it.

Pudding Girl
05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Think of it this way too - when your own children no longer need to use the toys/equipment too, then you would still need it for the business after that wouldn't you?- so yes it's entirely justifiable to put the total cost through.