PDA

View Full Version : learning journal

claire & steve
05-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Hi all can someone please help, can learning journals be photos with little headings and observation sheets with next steps or should there be lots more??? and in what order do these all have to be,thank you

sarah707
05-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Mine are in date order because I find it easier to track progression of learning... some people do them in the 6 areas of L & D. There are no rules.

Yes they are a combination of obs, photos, comments from parents / children / other settings / you etc.

hth :D

marleymoo
11-08-2011, 09:37 AM
If you are caring for lots of children in the EYFS then I would keep them as simple as possible. If you make them too complicated then you run the risk that you will not be able to keep on top of updating them as often. Certainly record significant achievements and their next steps but try to keep it short and sweet. Why not ask your parents what they do and don't like about your journals. Most of mine just like looking at the photos and reading the annotations.

rachelle
11-08-2011, 09:59 AM
mine are:
about me sheets filled in by parents
individual plans - for children involved with speech therapy etc
my progress - highlighted sheet for each age/stage to show what's achieved
photo pages - couple a month with photo of child doing xyz, links to eyfs and sometimes next steps such as repeat or continue
then a sheet I fill with parents - what we have noticed at home, what we have noticed in setting, together we have decided.....
This is my individual planning. I send them home about every 3 months for updating.

I got a lot of mine from the West Sussex site (google west sussex learning journal) as we were given a one off payment to use their own learning journal (to cover printing I think) for conintuity between minders and nurseries.

lennie
21-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Mine are in date order because I find it easier to track progression of learning... some people do them in the 6 areas of L & D. There are no rules.

Yes they are a combination of obs, photos, comments from parents / children / other settings / you etc.

hth :D

Hi Sarah

I just visited your website and feel I want to buy everything but I have to restain myself.Is the illustrated lj a year of my lj the same as the one titled lj through the eyfs. Do I need both or do they cover some of the same things. I have been CM a year and havent really got to grips with the Learning Journey yet mine seen very empty. I want it to look more attractive and informative for the parents.

sarah707
21-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi Sarah

I just visited your website and feel I want to buy everything but I have to restain myself.Is the illustrated lj a year of my lj the same as the one titled lj through the eyfs. Do I need both or do they cover some of the same things. I have been CM a year and havent really got to grips with the Learning Journey yet mine seen very empty. I want it to look more attractive and informative for the parents.

Awww thank you for your kind words.

The learning journey through the year is illustrated and has paperwork from Jan to December including spaces for parents comments, observations etc. It is totally flexible because if you do not like one layout you can choose another.

The illustrated learning journey is a complete learning journey from the all about me document to noting children's starting points to the end of contract transition document.

Don't worry about yours looking empty though. If you are noting children's observations, assessing them and then planning for next steps and popping in the odd photo, picture the child has done etc then you are doing enough.

Plus don't forget children who only come for a few hours or days a week will have much shorter learning journey documents than full time children.

Hth :D

lennie
21-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks Sarah:thumbsup:

v 1461
12-10-2011, 03:56 PM
hello,
my learning journey are: pictures ( with date and comment)
photo ( date, comment )
art work ( date)
observations
assessment once a year ( ex: I can sheet)

My observations used to be quite long , but now I do very short comment as an obs , with date and link to EYFS.
so much easier and quicker.
I also realised nobody was reading my long observations !!
v

cupcake22
13-10-2011, 08:45 AM
hello,
my learning journey are: pictures ( with date and comment)
photo ( date, comment )
art work ( date)
observations
assessment once a year ( ex: I can sheet)

My observations used to be quite long , but now I do very short comment as an obs , with date and link to EYFS.
so much easier and quicker.
I also realised nobody was reading my long observations !!
v

How often do you write in your learning journey. Say for a full time child & then for a 3 day per week child. I seem to be ever writing as I have 3 children in the EYFS & I cant keep up.

Thanks
Cupcake22