PDA

View Full Version : Had to turn someone down - gutted :-(

brightstart44
05-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Hi all

I just had an enquiry for a 9 month old Mon, Tues, Weds all day. I have a 5 month old on a Wednesday afternoon so I can't take this little one on aswell.

However, I feel really gutted as I've turned down £90 a week, and I only get £30 a week from the baby I already have.

How do you balance things fairly for yourself AND prospective mindees?

Thanks in advance x

miffy
05-08-2011, 08:48 AM
If you have an under 5 space you can apply to Ofsted for a variation to care for two babies under 1 year old.

If the parent definitely wants you then I'd get back in touch with her quickly before she goes elsewhere then get on to Ofsted for a variation

Miffy xx

brightstart44
05-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Oh right I thought that would only be applicable in the case of twins - I will ring them now!! x

christine e
05-08-2011, 09:31 AM
As you only have the other baby 1 afternoon I really don't think you will have any problem at all getting a variation

Cx

Pixie dust
05-08-2011, 09:33 AM
You may not get a variation for new children normally it is for continuity of care for current children and also when you are a new childminder they are reluctant to this.

Let us know how you get on with Ofsted.

brightstart44
05-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks I just spoke to Ofsted they are emailing the form to me to fill in electronically. I asked how long a decision would take, he said 10-14 days.

I thought it was just for twins, so it will be interesting to see what decision they make! I've rung Mum back to explain the situation and that I may be able to help. Sounds like other local CMs mostly full so I will be keeping my fingers crossed that I get the variation and she chooses me!

My hubby is off work Weds so tends to take our 3 children out (when they are not in school) so I'd only have these two babies.

If it's not meant to be then I'm OK with that x

onceinabluemoon
05-08-2011, 10:54 AM
You may not get a variation for new children normally it is for continuity of care for current children and also when you are a new childminder they are reluctant to this.

The variation for two under ones works different to this.

I've been granted it for new business twice, the first time was 3 weeks after I was registered, and now have it permanently on my certificate. xx

boxtree7
05-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Explain that your husband is free to care for your own children .. and that the variation is only for x amount of hours for x amount of months. I was granted a variation for 1 hour per day 2 days a week this was the over lap from 1 child coming in from nursery and another going to nursery. When you email make sure you contact ofsted the next day to confirm receipt of email as they can get lost in the system even when they have confirmed an automated confirmation. good luck ...... let us not how you get on. Ofsted do take everything into consideration so heres hoping ....

Pixie dust
05-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Pixie dust

The variation for two under ones works different to this.

I've been granted it for new business twice, the first time was 3 weeks after I was registered, and now have it permanently on my certificate. xx

thanks for that info didn't know that it was different for younger ones, handy to know.

boxtree7
05-08-2011, 12:29 PM
you may even consider your husband as an assistant once a week ... ooooh

Rubybubbles
05-08-2011, 02:30 PM
a new childminder here got a varition for 2 one was new:thumbsup: all you can di is try

munch149
05-08-2011, 03:12 PM
I am fairly newly registered and got a variation for two under ones no problem. It is now permanently on my certificate and was not related
To a specific amount of hours. If you fill
In the form well detailing how you will cope
With two under ones I don't see you having to much of a problem.

brightstart44
05-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Aw big thanks to all of you, the new Mum came to see me today and I really hope she chooses me! I have the variation form and am going to fill it in tonight ready. It is only for 5 hours a week that I need to have two Under 1's and I will defo mention that my hubby is off every Weds. (No way will he reg as my assistant lol, but my Mum may do)

I feel able to manage, just may need a triple buggy but that's not so bad.

I will put that in the extra equipment part.

I look forward to letting you know how I got on x

miffy
05-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Good luck - I hope it works out for you.

Miffy xx

Nicadooby
06-08-2011, 08:06 PM
I'll be watching this thread too as very intrested to what the will say good luck

Monkey26
06-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Don't forget to mention that it would only be for 3 months as well until the new little one turns one ;-) x

brightstart44
08-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Don't forget to mention that it would only be for 3 months as well until the new little one turns one ;-) x

thanks for reminding me I would have forgot! Mum hasn't got back to me yet since coming around on Friday so i assume it is a no. I will only be filling the form in once she has rung me x