PDA

View Full Version : Facebook??

emmadines
03-08-2011, 11:22 PM
its the bain of all evil when your in a bad mood!!:mad: :panic: :blush:

other then its boring - can i have 10 gd reasons to get rid of my account please

xxx

onceinabluemoon
04-08-2011, 06:11 AM
1. People tend to use it to say things about others they wouldn't have the guts to say to their faces.

2. the language of some of my friends on facebook makes me blush - I tend to prune the worst away because I really don't like it. (I must be getting old...)

3. It takes up too much time when you could actually be getting on with living your life instead of reading about other people's.

4. one day what you say on there could come back and bite you on the bum.

5. It gives you a false sense of who you are, somebody with 500+ 'friends' on facebook may not know how to hold a proper conversation or have any real life friends.

6. People sometimes use it to 'get at' other people or to put them down.

7. You get weirdos who you have never met tryign to be your friend so they can have 500+ friends (but not have any RL ones probably, lol)

8. It can seriously damage your self esteem - I remember when I first went on there I had about 8 mates on there, I felt like the biggest loser around. It wasn't until my forum friends joined my FB that I had anything like the amount of people on my friend list that others do! Now I feel 'popular' but the reality is I have no close friends - billy no mates for real, lol!

9. Things you say can be taken the wrong way and upset people.

10. It has totally removed the art of the phone call, now people say "I'll facebook you later" instead of "I'll give you a ring". Kind of sad really as people's lives are seriously changing because of a social network site.

So there you go, 10 reasons for you to give up your account.

For me its a lifeline to a world that moves on while I'm busy working so I'm going to stick with it despite its faults...

sue m
04-08-2011, 06:22 AM
I could have written that myself, so very true.......

singingcactus
04-08-2011, 06:30 AM
If you don't like it then bin it! I love it, it keeps me in touch with my friends, even when I get posted I can still keep contact with those I like the most. I can see my previous minded kids grow up, and go on to uni, and share in their achievements. I can see pics of my friends, their kids and their newest additions to the family. I can send out, and receive invites to functions and events. I can keep in touch with my DH when he's overseas. I can keep up to date with what is happening in his world, through the support group set up by his squadron on facebook. I can play silly games. We have virtually no mobile signal here, but I can still message my local friends in the same way I would with a text. Have I mentioned I have a hearing disorder so cannot use the phone with any degree of comfort or confidence. Oh yeah, and I can keep in touch more personally with the blogosphere. Facebook rocks :)

But if it doesn't work for you then just bin it.

sue m
04-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Agree with you too, I love it and couldn't be without it. I just make sure I don't make comments I might regret later. I've lived all over the country and been a minder since 1987 and can see photos of my babies and in some cases, their babies and have also got in touch with old friends from the 50's and 60's.

onceinabluemoon
04-08-2011, 07:10 AM
I like it too but Emma asked for ten reasons she should give it up not ten reasons to keep it, lol!

emmadines
04-08-2011, 07:37 AM
I like it too but Emma asked for ten reasons she should give it up not ten reasons to keep it, lol!

lol I do like it, but..... I donno

sue m
04-08-2011, 07:53 AM

and I replied to Linda's post....:D

emmadines
04-08-2011, 08:26 AM
The reasons I like it are as mentioned above!!!

I have caught up with old friends,
I can keep up with ccurrent friends and other family memebers,

Im not in a dream worl and belive the 500+ (I dont think I have that many lol) people on fb are my friend but actually majority of them on here actually you lot (who a do consider as my forum friends)

caz3007
04-08-2011, 09:02 AM
I like it and as my family and older children live over 70 miles away, its a nice way to keep in touch. Also my neice and nephew are both on year out trips, so been able to keep up with them too

I dont have a huge amount of friends on FB, but all are friends and family I know well, but just dont have the time to catch up with. I dont add anyone I dont know and it works for me. I also belong to a private ghost hunters group and as we all live in different areas, it allows us to keep in touch with each other and discuss our adventures

singingcactus
04-08-2011, 09:54 AM

Sorry I strayed away from the question blue moon - I just believe in putting both sides of the argument lol. I did give one reason for her to bin it - cos she doesn't like it. I can't see the need for nine other reasons, neither can I think of 9 more. I think if you don't like something, don't do it. So I did answer, I just also told her why I liked it, didn't think I was unreasonably straying off topic :)

sue m
04-08-2011, 10:30 AM
No problem at all :thumbsup: - sorry, I'm not Blue lol. x

Tinglesnark
04-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Facebook....ahhhh Facebook....

it is a pain in the rear for mouth almighty moi :blush:

I ALWAYS say the wrong thing
I witter on about inconsequential rubbish
I sometimes re-read what i have posted and wish that i hadnt bothered....really...does anyone care about the mechanics of my life? i seriously doubt it!
I have made a list of "those who don't bother" and have blocked them from seeing my status' etc because i hated that these people were reading about my life and so didnt feel the need to call me
I have lost 2 "best friends" through fb...

I always end up going back to it though because its fab for keeping in touch with forum friends and i have a lot of friends abroad...then i get sucked in to adding so and so...its then a viscious circle but i get away without the dreaded "unfriending" arguments by hiding and grouping certain individuals

AND I NEVER ADD A PARENT....

sue m
04-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Oh dear lol. Are we friends on there??? :o I've got all my parents on fb and luckily I get on really well with them all. Or I wouldn't add them of course. I'm always really careful what I put.

I get sucked in to adding people too......

The Juggler
04-08-2011, 01:53 PM
its the bain of all evil when your in a bad mood!!:mad: :panic: :blush:

other then its boring - can i have 10 gd reasons to get rid of my account please

xxx

Number 1 ...... you can't......:laughing: :laughing: i tried last year - you can only suspend it - you will have a fb accoutn for ever - but you don't have to use it and you could delete all your friends so you never have any posts to read.:laughing:

Mollymop
04-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Number 1 ...... you can't......:laughing: :laughing: i tried last year - you can only suspend it - you will have a fb accoutn for ever - but you don't have to use it and you could delete all your friends so you never have any posts to read.:laughing:

I'm sure you can delete it for good. You can't at first, you have to deactivate it but I think it gives you 14 or 28 days before it deletes it for good. x

The Juggler
04-08-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm sure you can delete it for good. You can't at first, you have to deactivate it but I think it gives you 14 or 28 days before it deletes it for good. x

I'm sure I left mine longer than that and it was still there.:panic:

~Chelle~
04-08-2011, 06:55 PM
It is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it.:laughing:

Make it work for you, only add the people you really want on there, that is the beauty of it!

x

emmadines
04-08-2011, 09:42 PM
might go on a deleting fest!!!