PDA

View Full Version : IPAD2 and 10yr old

clio0602
01-08-2011, 08:09 AM
What do you think of a 10yr old buying an ipad2?

Ds is being assessed for asd and is obsessed with technology I.T.

He has an xbox 360, Wii, laptop, ipod touch, ds, psp and smartphone. He has now almost saved enough to buy himself an iPad2 but we don't think he should get one. He says he will use it for the camera, YouTube, games and internet but his ipod and smartphones do all that.

He will use these things for a couple of months then want the latest version and doesnt even look after them. Ie his phone was left in car for a wk and he wasn't bothered at all and i'm always standing in stuff buried under piles of things in his bedroom!

Do you think its his money to spend as he likes or should we put our foot down? Dreading the backlash of it tho

Thanks for your opinions x

Ripeberry
01-08-2011, 09:30 AM
A net book is good enough for me, should be good enough for a child. If he is so obsessed he better start doing LOTS of jobs around the house to pay for it :D

Edit, he already has done lots of jobs! If he can afford it then it's up to him what he does with it. As long as he is not using YOUR money.

mushpea
01-08-2011, 09:36 AM
if he dosent look after things they I wouldnt let him buy one,, my son is also 10yrs old and ADHD he has xbox, ds and we have a family wii, he does have a phone but its my very old one and its only for when we go to the parks incase he wanders out of site, when he start high school next year he will get a laptop for his birthday to do his homework on and use for reserch.
I limit his time on the xbox as he would just be on it all day if i let him which is not good for him.
maybe if you did let him get it you could let him on it whre you can keep an eye on him and if he starts to misue it or dosent look after it then take it away.
but in light of what you said and how much stuff he already has i dont see the need for an Ipad

lfishwick
01-08-2011, 09:41 AM
My daughter is 10 & disabled- she has an ipad and I have to say it is the best thing she has had ict wise- plays with it more than her wii or iPod, laptop etc- it has been fantastic for her ( and we sneak the educational games in too!)

If he has saved and he wants it, I'd let him buy it...

teacake2
01-08-2011, 04:54 PM
My 3yr old mindee has one:eek: :eek: :eek:
Teacake2

angeldelight
01-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Crikey I had to save really hard for mine

I think I want to be ten again :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xxx

angeldelight
01-08-2011, 04:58 PM
My 3yr old mindee has one:eek: :eek: :eek:
Teacake2

Can someone pick me up :eek:

Gulp!

Angel xxx

onceinabluemoon
01-08-2011, 05:40 PM
I think that if you don't want him to have one then don't let him have one.

You are the parents and ultimately it's down to you to make decisions. I have said no more games consuls in this house because they don't get looked after by my kids and they're 14 and 15!

BUT speaking as somebody who has a PS3 Wii, laptop, ipod touch, ds, (use of a) psp, and an HTC smartphone AND an iPad, I agree with him that the iPad is much easier to use than an iPod or smart phone, its all to do with the size, lol.

Not much help am I... :blush:

The Juggler
01-08-2011, 09:13 PM
i'm jealous - I can't afford one. what job does your ds have to save for all these things :laughing:

just kidding. whilst I agree that if it's his money he could do what he likes I would not let my two have this many things. my kids have to choose - ds OR psp, they use my laptop, ds (nearly 12) is just having a phone now for high school.

I don't want them having the 'need' to buy every new thing that comes out especially if they are (as your ds) getting bored with the 'old' stuff so quickly.

:blush: