PDA

View Full Version : Part time CMing?

brightstart44
30-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Just wondering if anyone successfully CM's part time? I have an interview (I applied for a job before I was registered - as a back up plan lol) and I do still fancy this little job as it would be working from home 25 hours for 14k, so I'd have a guaranteed income. However, I am really getting into CMing now, and I would like to carry on with it if I did get this job.

The employer I would have is quite flexibile (though I need to check with them as an LA if they can allow me to be self emp aswell, so I could be flexible with CMing, but would have to focus on those who need PT childcare only - my current mindee's are both PT.

There is a chance I'd have to work from the office 1 day a fortnight (subject to confirmation) but other than that I can compress my hours and work in my bedroom (at my desk, this is nothing seedy lol).

I am so confused.com and just want to know if PT CMs exist? It will really help me make my decision as to whether I should attend the interview x

P.S. Just to add that I'd rather CM Full time, but once one of my PTers finished end of August then I only have one baby for 10 hours a week so can't survive off that.

sarah707
31-07-2011, 08:23 AM
I don't think it's easy to combine a job outside the house with childminding but it's certainly do-able as long as your employer is happy with you doing it.

For tax you just fill in a short self employment form and an employed extra page - when you register as self employed tell them you are employed as well and the right forms should arrive in April.

Good luck with the interview! :D

gigglinggoblin
31-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Many of the cms round here are part time, I do 2 days, lots do 2, 3 or 4. Its easier if you get to know the other cms as many of us share children and if you get an enquiry asking for more days than you can accomodate you can tell parents who could fill the extra days. I have one in Spetember who is using a nursery the other 2 days she needs.

Monkey26
31-07-2011, 10:48 AM
I childmind Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday (7.30am-6.30pm) and work for the NHS on a Thursday and Friday - one of my 'full' timers mum's recently got a new job that is five days a week, i was worried that i might loose her but as she has been with me for nearly two years now and is very settled, mum found another childminder (from my recommendations list!) to have little one the additional two days - so far so good :-) xx

brightstart44
31-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Oh wow that's really positive and better than I expected! I am now in touch with two local CM's so when I meet with one of them next week I will see what she says as she is part of a local network.

I may not even get this job yet but I need to go into it knowing what I want to do. These replies will really help me discuss this all with my dh tonight.

At present I've only two Part Timers, and one finishes at the end of August so I don't have anyone to let down if I do decide to CM part time, and I'll just have to let children's services know, so they can amend my availability. If any enquiries come in before then I will have to think what i say (I wouldn't know what days/hours I would be CMing should I get this job, until after the interview).

The tax info is very helpful too, thankyou for that.

The guaranteed income from this PT job would be a godsend at the moment I must say!