PDA

View Full Version : Oh my word!!! Planning etc

Phoenix
30-07-2011, 11:45 AM
I have been registered since Nov 2010 and although I dont have many under 5's was wondering about the paperwork that you all have. I do learning journals for the under 5's (when I have them) but my planning is non existant and also wondered if any minders keep their own diary of accounts for individual children, and what they include in it. Generally I make an observation, take a pic and then right it up later, linking it to an area of the eyfs, my planning is not written down as such, how do you guys do it and do you keep records, how do you plan,

I feel like I am doing this all wrong and dont wanna get into trouble at next ofsted inspect

Kes
30-07-2011, 03:03 PM
You might want it written somewhere just to prove that your following the childrens interests and next steps. Some of this will be evident in your observations. It can be as simple as keeping your own diary with what activities you are going to do or have done and linking it to the observations.
For example: Joe found a spider today and loved watching it. Next step: Bug hunt. Then put bug hunt in your diary on the day you plan to do it.

I personally do planning sheets because its the way that works for me.

missymood
30-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Had a visit from ncma and she said just put it on your calendar:thumbsup:
I have one up in the kitchen and also put on when we did fire alarm drill. Makes it alot easier for me, than having loads of paperwork everywhere.

littlegremlins
30-07-2011, 09:53 PM
I have been registered since Nov 2010 and although I dont have many under 5's was wondering about the paperwork that you all have. I do learning journals for the under 5's (when I have them) but my planning is non existant and also wondered if any minders keep their own diary of accounts for individual children, and what they include in it. Generally I make an observation, take a pic and then right it up later, linking it to an area of the eyfs, my planning is not written down as such, how do you guys do it and do you keep records, how do you plan,

I feel like I am doing this all wrong and dont wanna get into trouble at next ofsted inspect

I have a daily diary which I record day-to-day info and the parents are welcome to look at this anytime. I then do a learning journal where I put photos and a little write up (I don't want to go overboard as I intend to give this to parents when child may leave my care) I do a box that links it to EYFS,just initialled categories.

When my daughter was in Reception her teacher did a big scrap book with an EYFS heading (so all split up over several pages) and then she put photos and a small write up on a white lable into the relevant pages....so that is another way you could choose to do it.

I do have some planning sheets which I made before starting which is more a reference guide to me and something I can adapat in practice.

Phoenix
31-07-2011, 10:21 AM
I have one girl at the moment who is just turning 4, I do observations and link them to EYFS but she is starting school in September and going to another mindee as I am too far from her new school, so I will only have 2 siblings on an as and when basis, they come 2/3 times a month for max of an 1.5hrs. I still do obs for them but by September I will only have a 6yr old, 2 x 10 yr olds.

I dont know if I still plan for them and how do I do it, I most am child led and other than trips to soft play areas and usual days out in the holidays how can I provide planning for that, the children mostly do before and after school and they decide what they want to do. Do i still plan activities for them, how do i show those activities. Do i keep notes of my own on individual children despite their age!!! AaaaaaRRRRRRRGGGGghhhhhh

I was thinking of just doing weekly plans Mon-Fri, planning so arts/crafts or baking, general activities, none of the children in September need learning journals, the younger one has a contact book. So confused with all this planning stuff, obs I have down pat, got that, just the planning is wrecking my head!!!! Maybe I should so it monthly!!!!! oh god

Kes
31-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Once they start year 1 of school they are no longer in the EYFS. That means over this age you don't need to do learning journals and planning. It might be nice to have a general weekly routine like you said before baking monday etc.