PDA

View Full Version : Camping in France

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
27-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Good evening everyone was just wondering if anyone has been camping in France, we bought an 8 man tent this year and are thinking of going to France next year.

I have tried to have a look on the internet but it is a minefield, so thought I would ask you lovely people to see if anyone has been and if so where, what was it like, were there places to visit etc. Where did you catch the ferry from?

Many thanks

xxxxx

sarah707
27-07-2011, 05:34 PM
We went when the children were little. We tended to drive down to Dover or Southampton and stay on the north coast around St Malo or St Brieuc.

Have a look at the Eurocamp sites ... they tend to be in lovely places near the sea. :D

FussyElmo
27-07-2011, 06:17 PM
No comments just will be looking at this thread as dh and I are thinking of doing this. Just going to Yorkshire this time

Toothfairy
27-07-2011, 06:38 PM
We go almost every year.

We either go from Dover to Calais or sometimes we go from portsmouth to Le Havre.

We always drive down to the Vendee area of France as it is far enough down south to get some nice weather but still drivable in a day.

We have stayed in St Jean De Monts, La Rochelle, La Tranche sur mer, Les Sables d'Olonne & St Hilare de Riez to name but a few places.

We have pitched our own tent and gone with Eurocamp.

I found that the french pitch sizes are quite small so it was a bit of a tight fit with our large tent.

If I can help at all, PM me and I will try to answer your questions. :thumbsup:

Dragonfly
27-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Went about 16 years ago camping, stay in gites now though:blush: stayed with Keycamp they were excellent clean site, clean loos etc helpful staff.

karen48
27-07-2011, 06:44 PM
we have been camping in france for about ten years, we go to a campsite called
www.yellohvillage.co.uk/camping/le_brasilia

we love this campsite as do many of our camping friends. It does get booked up. it's near perpignan.

karen

RachelE
27-07-2011, 07:11 PM
We have been to both Brittany and the Dordogne.

We thought that Brittany would be a shorter drive, but from Calais, this wasnt the case.

We also thought that going on a longer crossing and driving less would be better - not true! Ont he longer crossing, dh told me he needed to rest as he was driving and the children were a bit hyper and after 5 hours ont he boat I'd had enough!!
Our 2 have always been very good in the car and either slept, watched dvds or occupied themselves, maybe with my help.

The dordogne is a beautiful area, fantastic weather and beautiful scenery.

From what I can remember, the French, finish their holidays the middle weekend of August, so when we went the last 2 weeks of Aug, it was a lot quieter.

HTH,
Rachel x

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
27-07-2011, 07:16 PM
we have been camping in france for about ten years, we go to a campsite called
www.yellohvillage.co.uk/camping/le_brasilia

we love this campsite as do many of our camping friends. It does get booked up. it's near perpignan.

karen

That site looks lovely, could I ask a question where do you catch the ferry from and too.

Sorry for the questions just trying to price everything up.

Many thanks
Lorraine
xx

venus89
27-07-2011, 07:16 PM
We're going camping for a week at a Yelloh site in August - my stepdaughter lives in France so we usually combine a holiday with dropping her back to Mum. When they were little we used to stay in a Yelloh village in their mobile home and had some lovely holidays. Now they're older we're taking the plunge and camping, the Yelloh village we used to stay in was clean, the pool and evening entertainment was great, good clientele, friendly.... Hence going to a Yelloh again this year, this one's on the banks of the loire....

JumpingJacks
27-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi Lorraine! Watching this thread too :) we also bought an 8 man tent this year and thinking of France for next year! Just testing at Billing Aquadrome this year! Hope you find somewhere lovely and have a fab holiday.

You will have to let me know how your adventures go when toddler group restarts :)

Jac xx

WibbleWobble
27-07-2011, 08:05 PM
this is my favourite campsite

http://www.valdaleth.com/campingen.php

it is in south france near to carcassone.

Phil had his heart attack here....dont let that put you off!

we go dover-calais...i dont like long ferry journeys. we stop off on the way in Formule 1 basic hotels which were about £20 a night (bit ago). very basic but clean etc

i have been camping every holiday in my life...except this last one where we went on a package.

i think we will be camping again next year

mandy xxx

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
27-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Hi Lorraine! Watching this thread too :) we also bought an 8 man tent this year and thinking of France for next year! Just testing at Billing Aquadrome this year! Hope you find somewhere lovely and have a fab holiday.

You will have to let me know how your adventures go when toddler group restarts :)

Jac xx

Hi Jac we are testing our tent out in Swanage in August but going to the Isle of Wight for a week.

Have you heard from Ofsted yet?

Have a fab holiday

See you in September if not before.

Lorraine xx

JumpingJacks
27-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Hi Jac we are testing our tent out in Swanage in August but going to the Isle of Wight for a week.

Have you heard from Ofsted yet?

Have a fab holiday

See you in September if not before.

Lorraine xx

Have fun! No call from Ofsted YET! Never mind! Just so you know there is a new childminder group at the whitnash surestart centre. Think it started today, it's every Wednesday through the school holidays. They are going to see how it goes and see what days they can offer after September depending on interest:)

Have a great holiday x

manjay
27-07-2011, 09:48 PM
We always drive down to the Vendee area of France as it is far enough down south to get some nice weather but still drivable in a day.

We have stayed in St Jean De Monts, La Rochelle, La Tranche sur mer, Les Sables d'Olonne & St Hilare de Riez to name but a few places.

This is the area we love. I hate ferries with a passion though so we do the Eurotunnel.

karen48
28-07-2011, 06:32 PM
That site looks lovely, could I ask a question where do you catch the ferry from and too.

Sorry for the questions just trying to price everything up.

Many thanks
Lorraine
xx

we do the dover to calais ferry and then drive the rest of the way. We use to stop for a overnight the other side of Lyon but we go a different way now through paris and then over the milau bridge, the toll fees are cheaper this way.
we tow a caravan down there.

karen

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
29-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the websites everyone has anyone stayed around Normandy area as I don't want to have to travel too far down as I am driving and seeing we have never been before would not like to travel too far for my first time.

Many thanks everyone x