PDA

View Full Version : To market, to market to buy.....

sunbeams
25-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Some more hens!!

We have always had hens and recently Mr Fox visited one night, ripped the side from our hen house, killed all the occupants and took just 1 hen. :angry: :censored: :angry:

I have now re-enforced the house and put up a huge fence, which is also dug 18" into the ground. That'll stop him! :clapping: It's a shame the hens cannot wander around the farm yard all year round, but I will keep them safe in their inclosure during breeding time and when there are cubs around.

So, after dropping my boys to school, me and DD (2yrs) will be off to the livestock auction!! :thumbsup: Can't wait!! :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

The Juggler
25-07-2011, 12:37 PM
sorry about your hens :(

sunbeams
25-07-2011, 12:43 PM
sorry about your hens :(

It was horrid to find.:( Especially when they were more like pets than farm animals. My children had named them all and my handsome cokerel had had a rough start in life and had been nursed back to health in my kitchen!

Makes me angry. I know the foxes need to eat, but when our fields are full of wild rabbits and pheasants, why pick on my poultry. :(

Jiorjiina
25-07-2011, 06:53 PM
We got some chickens last month, they've just started laying. I can hear the foxes barking at night (we live near two big parks on the edge of Exeter), and there are loads of them around here. I dread the thought of this happening to our girls.

I have never been a fox fan.

You have my every sympathy, and I hope you get some lovely new ones.

Carol M
25-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Hope you got your new chucks.
Bad,bad, bad Mr. Fox :angry:
Carol xx

angeldelight
26-07-2011, 05:56 AM
Thats a shame

Hope you got your new ones?

Angel xx

Dragonfly
26-07-2011, 07:06 AM
I was watching a fox the other morning at 5am. Awoke to the sound of terrified chickens, thought it was my chickens making the din, it wasnt thank goodness foxy had been after a neighbours and i saw him leaving there.

sunbeams
26-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Just got back from market!:jump for joy:

I have 7 new family members - only went for 3 or 4 :blush:

I bought 3 ex battery hens, a trio of Pekin bantams and a Silver Seabright cockerel for the grand total of.....£13!!! :clapping: :clapping:

They have all been wormed and vaccinated before going into their new homes. Now just to wait for the eggs..... :thumbsup:

xx