PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian Tragedy

rickysmiths
24-07-2011, 07:00 AM
I have a Norwegian name sister because I have a Norwegian name. I have been o holiday to Norway and been to Oslo. I have camped with Norwegians adults and children at a Sea Scout Jamboree. All so lovely and a trusting race in a way I envie. Respect and time for everyone including themselves very calm.

Not surprising when you see the Country they have the privilage to live it. Low population, wonderful landscape.

What has happened to them in the last few days must be devistating. The whole country has a population of half of London.

The violent deaths of so many young inocent people will inpact on many families.

We received an email from the British organisers of the World Scout Jamboree in Sweden last night confirming that the British Contingent would still be attending. Now it never occured to me they wouldn't be going.

We delivered ds to South Mimms for his coach to Heathrow, along with 77 other families at 5.15am this morning. I can't say I didn't have a lump in my throat as they drove off all excited and about to embark on one of the most exciting experiences of their young lives to date. Three weeks away, travelling to three countries.

We are taking my daughter to Heathrow tomorrow afternoon to fly to Copenhagen and the coach into Sweden to take part in the Jamboree as part of the Adult International Service team though she is only just 18yrs.

I have tears streaming down my face as I am typing this and I think the parents and brothers and sisters of some 600 young people, who probably a week or so ago, were doing the same as me and dh this morning and tomorrow.

A lot of them will now never see their child alive again. How do you cope with that? All those hopes and dreams gone in a moment, in such a terrifying way. All those poor children who were there and survived but saw their friends die in such a cruel way and now have to live with the experience for the rest of their lives.

I can not begin to imagine the grief of those familes and my thought and prayers are with them.

ajs
24-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Such a tragedy, as a parent whose children are all away on camp.( one working and 2 participating) you can't bear to think of the agony the parents are going through.
My heart goes out to them.

Pipsqueak
24-07-2011, 07:46 AM
And well done to you for allowing them still to go. This country (Norway) needs the support from the rest of the world right now and that includes keeping the tourism (money) and faith (trust) coming in.

I hope your children have a wonderful time and of course come back safely.

sending a hug Ricky (((xxx)))

Greengrass74
24-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Heartbreaking, as a parent and someone who works with children I can only imagine what the parents of those that lost their lives must be going through.

My thoughts are with all those that this tragedy has affected

Mouse
24-07-2011, 09:20 AM
It is tragic that so many people have lost their lives. I don't think any of us could even begin to imagine the horrors the families and friends must be going through.

flora
24-07-2011, 10:52 AM
I was totally shcoked when I heard, have been too busy to catch up with the detail but I hope there is some justice at some point :(

The Juggler
24-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I am lost for words about this tragedy - it is senseless and I can never understand why anyone would want to take out their anger, frustration by killing the person who has upset them let alone completely innocent people.

I think you are so brave sending your dd still. My thoughts are with everyone in Norway or who has family or friends there:(

rickysmiths
24-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I was totally shcoked when I heard, have been too busy to catch up with the detail but I hope there is some justice at some point :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14266815

There is some thought now that the gunman on the island wasn't acting alone :eek:

The max prison sentance in Norway is 21 years and they think there will be pressure to change this for this case.

rickysmiths
24-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I am lost for words about this tragedy - it is senseless and I can never understand why anyone would want to take out their anger, frustration by killing the person who has upset them let alone completely innocent people.

I think you are so brave sending your dd still. My thoughts are with everyone in Norway or who has family or friends there:(

How could I have stopped a 16 year old going on the trip of a lifetime which he has been preparing for and raising money for for 18 months? He had landed safely in Copenhagen and it only took 30mins for their baggage to come through according to the Airport website :thumbsup: I think the hardest thing is that he has been very good and decided not to take his phone, so we will have to wait for the odd email now for news, they have internet cafes on the jamboree site. We take dd to Heathrow tomorrow afternoon, I'm finishing work early. We are about to finish her packing in a bit.

The Juggler
24-07-2011, 11:35 AM
How could I have stopped a 16 year old going on the trip of a lifetime which he has been preparing for and raising money for for 18 months? He had landed safely in Copenhagen and it only took 30mins for their baggage to come through according to the Airport website :thumbsup: I think the hardest thing is that he has been very good and decided not to take his phone, so we will have to wait for the odd email now for news, they have internet cafes on the jamboree site. We take dd to Heathrow tomorrow afternoon, I'm finishing work early. We are about to finish her packing in a bit.

I know you couldn't hon but it's still a take your breath away decision moment for a parent to make :panic:

caz3007
24-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Its so sad that this has happened and so many lives have been lost in what is normall a peaceful country.

I saw on Sky News earlier that the Norwegian armed police were involved in something to do with Friday.

My thoughts are with all the families of the young people involved

Playmate
24-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Tragic :(

I hope T & J still have the time of their lives, as it was meant to be and my heart goes out to all the families affected by the tradgedy.

rickysmiths
24-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I know you couldn't hon but it's still a take your breath away decision moment for a parent to make :panic:

Oh I shall be thinking about them every second they are away. :panic:

rickysmiths
24-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Tragic :(

I hope T & J still have the time of their lives, as it was meant to be and my heart goes out to all the families affected by the tradgedy.

Thanks Sally. Will we see you on Sat?

Playmate
24-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks Sally. Will we see you on Sat?

You will :D

LOOPYLISA
24-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Awful news :panic:

Chimps Childminding
24-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Its a dreadful tragedy :( and my heart goes out to all the families who have been affected.

I know you (Rickysmiths) say you couldn't stop your ds going on the trip after he had been looking forward to it for so long, but I admire you for letting him go, it would be so easy to have said you would prefer he didn't :panic: I hope he and your dd have a wonderful time :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
24-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Its a dreadful tragedy :( and my heart goes out to all the families who have been affected.

I know you (Rickysmiths) say you couldn't stop your ds going on the trip after he had been looking forward to it for so long, but I admire you for letting him go, it would be so easy to have said you would prefer he didn't :panic: I hope he and your dd have a wonderful time :thumbsup:

Thank you it was hard. Still he is in Copenhagen now, they were holding a beach party for them this afternoon, its now 7pm there and he has been up since 4am!! He is in Sweden on Tues for 12 days and then they are back to Copenhagen to fly to Zagreb in Croatia for 4 days to stay with a scouting family then home on 11th Aug.

rickysmiths
28-07-2011, 09:40 PM
40,000 Scouts from over 150 countries of the World Saluted Norway tonight.

Carol M
29-07-2011, 05:42 AM
40,000 Scouts from over 150 countries of the World Saluted Norway tonight.

And that sums up what the Scout movement is all about.
Carol xx

rickysmiths
29-07-2011, 01:42 PM
So Sad the first Funeral has taken place today. An 18yr with all her life ahead of her. I can't imagine loosing my 18yr dd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14336291

Greengrass74
29-07-2011, 02:21 PM
So Sad the first Funeral has taken place today. An 18yr with all her life ahead of her. I can't imagine loosing my 18yr dd.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14336291

I to have an 18 yo, just doesn't bear thinking about how I would deal with losing him, so sad.