PDA

View Full Version : Mindees leaving do I need to give Learning Journals?

sjane2
20-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Hi everyone,

just read a post in another forum that has prompted me to ask. Do you have to give Learning Journals to the parents if a child leaves the setting?

Two of my mindees are going in September, one might be coming back in Feb, mum is on maternity leave so might get him and baby when she returns to work. Should I give her the Learning Journal or hang on to it? The other one is definately going so what do i do there?

sarah707
20-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Yes the learning journal goes with the child to be passed on to the next setting or kept by the parents. It's up to parents what they do with it.

Ofsted will not want to see LJs relating to children who have left so they are of no value to you.

Hth :D

Andrea08
21-07-2011, 07:46 AM
agree with sarah, hence why in obs we dont include any negatives only the possitives with actions etc for next steps,

shame coz if ofsted came to see me i wont have many Files to show off as they would have left me..

SMullin
22-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Sarah, I keep my obs and planning seperate from my LJ's so do I need to give parents those too?

Thanks

Sue

miffy
22-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Sarah, I keep my obs and planning seperate from my LJ's so do I need to give parents those too?

Thanks

Sue

Obs and planning for the individual child should go with them in their learning journey.

Miffy xx

miffy
22-07-2011, 06:55 AM
shame coz if ofsted came to see me i wont have many Files to show off as they would have left me..

I keep copies of a few bits and pieces such as parent's comments, my summing up etc just in case Ofsted come when I've nothing much current to show them.

Miffy xx

singlewiththree
22-07-2011, 08:24 AM
I do obs in a planning book so I keep that. I give them another copy of their termly newsletter with individual planning for that child with the LJ

sarah707
22-07-2011, 08:54 AM
A learning journey contains... observations, individual planning, ongoing assessments of a child's learning and development, links of the child's learning and development to the Eyfs, photos, info from parents, comments from children, pictures, photos of children's models etc, regular summary assessments... and anything a child wants to go in there.

It leaves with the child.

You keep - attendance registers, medication / accident / incident and other forms, contract, permissions and other statutory information until the child is 21 years old.

Hth :D

SMullin
22-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Thank you :D

Mollymop
22-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Photocopy any bits you wish to show ofsted though before you give the LJ to parents when the child leaves.
I am going to photocopy a child's Next Steps forms that I have been sharing with her playschool as evidence to ofsted (who should be coming soon!) that I have been working with other settings, because when child has gone I won't have any other nursery/playschool children an I have done so well with sharing info with playschool....:)