PDA

View Full Version : Laminate flooring and carpet, advice please.

Toothfairy
18-07-2011, 07:09 AM
I have a through lounge/diner which at the moment has laminate flooring all the way through.
There is a natural cut off between the two rooms with an archway.
DH would like to go back to carpet in the lounge area to make it more cosey and homely but keep the laminate in the dinning room end.

We have an old victorian house and the floorboards are a bit uneven.
My question is, Can we lay carpet over the top of the laminate flooring in the lounge area?

Sorry, that was a bit long :laughing:

QualityCare
18-07-2011, 07:35 AM
I have no idea but l can't see why not underlay would be fitted on top before the carpet went down. Ask in several carpet shops and ring a couple of independent carpet fitters.

rickysmiths
18-07-2011, 07:42 AM
The only problem i can see is there will be quite a big height difference between the two rooms if you lay the carpet over the lamminate.

How about a large loose carpet in the living room instead of a fully fitted one?

sarah707
18-07-2011, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't have carpet if I could afford laminate throughout. I would just get a rug which I could roll back and keep the laminate.

I know it's a bit cold but you can't beat it for keeping clean :D

Mookins
18-07-2011, 05:33 PM
We currently have carpet throughout and am saving for either laminate or some spongy type lino

i hate my carpet, we chose cream:eek: :rolleyes: stupidest decision we ever made...its filthy and no matter how many times ive cleaned it its gross

moppable type floor and rugs would be perfect:clapping:

xx

Dragonfly
18-07-2011, 05:38 PM
We have oak flooring throughout the downstairs its lovely but a bit cold in winter (I provide toasties for kids) we do have a couple of rugs down for children. I do like carpets though like you said cosey.

Hebs
18-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I have a through lounge/diner which at the moment has laminate flooring all the way through.
There is a natural cut off between the two rooms with an archway.
DH would like to go back to carpet in the lounge area to make it more cosey and homely but keep the laminate in the dinning room end.

We have an old victorian house and the floorboards are a bit uneven.
My question is, Can we lay carpet over the top of the laminate flooring in the lounge area?
Sorry, that was a bit long :laughing:

I worked for a big carpet store before minding and the simple answer is NO

laminate is a "floating" floor and your carpet will not last

sorry

Toothfairy
18-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks everyone.

I did have rugs which I rolled up when working but I got fed up of keep rolling them up and down, so they spent most of the time rolled up in the cupboard. In the end I sold them at a boot fair :blush:

I will try to talk DH round to keeping the laminate :D