PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone do L J's for a child who's parent works in childcare as well?

Ripeberry
17-07-2011, 11:42 AM
One of my mindees has a parent who works in a pre-school, so she knows the EYFS ins and outs and is doing the NVQ3 as she gets funding through work.
I've noticed that with our own local pre-school that their LJ's are just a summary of what the child can do and they don't break down each observation into the 6 areas of learning.
So does that mean that we do more writting than the pre-schools and that they don't have to be so in-depth, because they have more kids to look after?

My parent always says that my L.Js are full of information and that there is no way they could do that at work.
Maybe we do too much? :rolleyes:

francinejayne
17-07-2011, 12:02 PM
I don't mind for anyone who's parent's work in childcare, however I have seen the LJ's that the local pre-school do. They are a lovely record of the child's time there - however they are no where near as detailed as the LJ's that I do!

I think that as a CM we would get to observe our children more closely than at a nursery or otherwise, just due to the numbers (and I am in no way inferring that the nursery is second rate compared to CM's!), and as I'm only doing 3 LJ's as opposed to 30 I will probably write a lot more than they will.

clio0602
17-07-2011, 12:03 PM
2 of my former parents worked in day nurseries. They never did half as much in the nursery as I did in their lo's lj and dd's lj just has pics and a sentence underneath each one. No nxt steps at all.

I think we do a lot more!

keeks
17-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I find I do a lot more now than I did in the nursery. There was just no way I could do it all, I had over 40 children on roll and the only other member of staff doing LJ's and observations was my colleague who worked mornings only. That's how I ended up having 25 key children! Management issue, I know.

I have found that many nurseries do less than many CM's - but I also know of nurseries (usually the Children's Centre ones) who have extensive LJ's and CM's who do an absolute minimum and sometimes less than that! :)

I love the job satisfaction of doing my 6 mindees LJ's the way I want to do them.

On busy weeks I do less, other weeks I do more.

Yes, Ripeberry, I think sometimes we do too much. I need to tell myself I can only do what I can do. I don't sit all weekend doing paperwork because it is not reasonable that I should have to do so.

xx

marleymoo
13-08-2011, 10:19 AM
i mind a nursery manager's child, a childminder's child, and a family outreach worker's child (she works from a children's centre)
the nursery manager's child comes to me because she feels her own nursery key workers are too tied up doing observations etc that they are not interacting with the kids (scary)
the childminder has used me for all 3 of her children ever since i started and she has just registered as a childminder herself and didn't want her child not to come to my any more because she loves what i do. (needless to say i am mentoring her through her first year)
the family outreach worker has just pulled her daughter out of the aforementioned nursery manager's private day nursery because her key person was too tied up with paperwork to take her daughter out of her soiled pants all day.
funny that for all the paperwork, the day nursery was inspected the same week as i was: they got good and i got outstanding - again. this reassured the nursery manager that she had made the right decision to use a childminder in this instance
don't get me wrong, i did my degree with a whole bunch of nursery workers and foundation stage teachers and they are firm friends to this day. it all depends on how the management of the nursery interpret the EYFS, so some will be good, some will be bad

Optimalstar
13-08-2011, 11:27 AM
when i worked in a private nursery I took my (then)baby daughter with me. I taught in the pre-school room and expected the staff in the baby room to keep a LJ for my daughter.

Sam x

karensmart4
13-08-2011, 12:04 PM
I care for a child of a Nursery School Teacher, a Reception Teacher and a Childrens Centre Superviser.

They all love our Ljs and say that we have a closer link with the children as even though they have strict ratios and key workers, they are in amongst larger groups and sadly the average (lovely) easygoing children seem to get overlooked because their time is taken up by the... screamers, rough, full-on children that need the extra attention.

I really don't know what they think we spend our time doing but, one of the children from these particular workers is a screamer, one is rough.. barges his way through everything and everyone and breaks at least one thing each time he's here. The other one is going through a hair pulling stage!

I do see their point of view but I also think we are underestimated at times.

Going back to your original question, yes I do think we do too much but I get personal satisfaction from knowing that I have put together a lovely Lj for the child to keep and look back on in years to come :)