PDA

View Full Version : It's our Responsibility and Future

Greengrass74
16-07-2011, 04:09 PM
As I am sure everyone is aware the Government has begun the public consultation on the revised EYFS framework: Setting the standards for learning, development and care for children from birth to five. This follows Dame Clare Tickell’s independent review of the EYFS published on 30 March.

http://www.education.gov.uk/tickellreview

The revised framework provides the response to many of Dame Clare’s recommendations. It contains proposals for a simpler, stronger and more accessible EYFS; making it easier for practitioners and parents to make even more of a contribution to children’s development during their early years.

The EYFS Strategy and Delivery Team are now inviting everyone with an interest in early years to respond to the consultation on the revised framework. The consultation will run from 6 July to Friday 30 September 2011, with a view to implementing the new EYFS from September 2012.

We as Childminders need to comment so that our voice is heard loud and clear, this is our opportunity to have our say on the EYFS!

http://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/index.cfm?action=consultationDetails&consultationId=1747&external=no&menu=1

You can email your response or download a response form which should be completed and sent to:

Department for Education
Consultation Unit, Area 1C
Castle View House, East Lane
Runcorn
Cheshire
WA7 2GJ

miffy
16-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I think Pauline has put this in free resources too along with a document Sarah707 wrote on it all.

Miffy xx

Pipsqueak
16-07-2011, 07:48 PM
all done the other day but thanks for the reminder!

Winnie
16-07-2011, 09:53 PM
I will be commenting soon :)

I would like to know how much less paperwork I will be doing, I asked my NC and she shrugged but she thought less goals were a good idea for the under 2 year olds. But then I read somewhere that they are going to keep most the development matters and it is only the Early Learning goals that are being reduced- and lets face it how may of us complete the profiles? I really need more information.

One thing that I wasn’t particularly happy about was the ‘school ready’ goal that seems to be the main target. There was a great quote from Neil Leitch, chief executive of the Pre-School Learning Alliance. “He (Neil Leitch) also questioned the concept of 'school readiness', a term the Government often uses in relation to pre-school children, and which is the focus of the revised EYFS. 'The Alliance believes schools should be ready for children, not the other way round. We do not want a generation of "school ready" children, who have been factory-farmed instead of enjoying a "free range" start to life.'"

I think this ‘school readiness’ could turn out to be a burden on all of us- including the children. I found reference to it in The Allen Report and The Field Review suggests something similar too. We will all be moulding children to be ‘school ready’ very shortly :panic:

sarah707
17-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I totally agree Winnie and focussed on those points and more when I completed the review yesterday.

As miffy says there is a document in free downloads for anyone who wants some more information before replying to the consultation.

:D

Greengrass74
17-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Great stuff, :thumbsup:

I just think it is an ideal opportunity for us Childminders to have our say, doesn't often happen.

I shall be sending my comments soon.

SYLVIA
17-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Yes I'm taking time out today to complete mine. We can't moan about what we will have to do in future if we don't give our opinions now.

marleymoo
20-08-2011, 12:09 PM
I think this ‘school readiness’ could turn out to be a burden on all of us- including the children. I found reference to it in The Allen Report and The Field Review suggests something similar too. We will all be moulding children to be ‘school ready’ very shortly :panic:[/QUOTE]

yip, couldn't agree more. getting children school ready goes against everything i believe in for a child of 4/5 which is why i've always felt that EYFS is not child led AT ALL and seems in total contradiction to being play based.