PDA

View Full Version : Please can you have a look and give me your oppinion x

stardust
13-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi,
This is my child minding website. Could i please have your oppinions and any suggestions are most welcome xx
Thanks Tara
taraschildminding.webs.com

samb
13-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi Tara, I am writing as someone that doesn't have a website but uses lots of websites!

Firstly, I think you've done well - I have no idea how to put one together! It all works - links are linked properly etc.

In terms of content - there is a lot of information. As someone who likes to research into things before making a call I would be the sort of parent to like this. However as a childminder I don't think I would want so much personal info on there. Even if you are fine about it all being on there (which I presume you are as you have written it) make sure you update it all the time - you have put a lot of detail about pay which is great as long as you stick to it rigidly and change it without leaving any detail wrong - people like to know where they stand so I personally like the detail but again as a childminder I like to have the flexbility amongst customers too.

The other thing that I would comment on is the colours used. As someone who doesn't have the best eye sight I cannot read green or red writing as well as blue or black for example and so didn't find it very easy to read. The name at the top could also do with standing out more from the picture.

I like the layout and the way things link. It is very clearly written and I would use you!

Hope those comments have been helpful? x

jumpinjen
13-07-2011, 04:51 PM
I like it.... well done.... the advert for wrinkles made me giggle..... is that how you feel by the end of the week??!!

Jenni x

Jo Jo
13-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Really nice website
Well done :thumbsup:

miffy
13-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Looks good - there's lots of info and everything is well set out and clear. :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

phoebe-alice
13-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Also just have a quick check for spelling mistakes. :) But looks great other than that.

stardust
13-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Thank you you all for your comments x All are greatly appreciated.
I am going to change the green and red writing and check spelling.

What do you mean by personal information??

I think the wrinkle advert is on there because its a free website once I am fully registered I will pay for the domain name but don't see the point at the moment.
I hope i dont have wrinkles im only 21:eek: . First thing tomorrow im off to boots to buy some anti-wrinkle cream:laughing:

samb
14-07-2011, 12:41 PM
lol.

By personal info I mean you have a lot of info about your home on there and it reads as though you are going to put photos on too? I just think maybe you don't need to say so much - but that is just my opinion.

leeloo1
15-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Well done for putting so much work into your website - I haven't read every page, but at a quick glance...

typos include: registered, cul-de-sac, hygiene, volunteer, invoicing, difficulties, writing - not written (in your holidays section), verbally and children's (in same section). I'd suggest you cut and paste all your info into word and use the spell/grammar checkers. Also look at the random capitals in the header.

When you describe your rooms you say 'This is...' as if there's a photo, but I can't see one. Is there meant to be? Otherwise maybe say 'I have...' or 'My xyz is used for...' Think the descriptions should be a bit shorter.

Generally I think you need to read each paragraph you've written and think about what you want to say and how you're selling yourself - i.e. after saying you've done a 1st aid course you say that every childminder has to do it --- yes its true, but you've done it and are telling them about YOU - so parents will read about your course and think 'thats good' - then you detract from it by saying everyone else will have done it too?!? IYSWIM.

Change the order of your CV - put employed work 1st, then courses (add your childcare qualifications under this. Maybe change rest to just say 'I am educated to GCSE level'. Personally I wonder why you've listed the adult literacy courses if you have GCSEs and I'd delete them.

'I am happy for you to pay at the end of the month, beginning of the month or even weekly if this is how you are paid.'
REALLY? OMG the chaos! You'd really have 6+ sets of parents paying you differently - in advance, in arrears, weekly, fortnightly, bundle of £5 notes in your hand (what if their cash payment goes missing during pick-up/drop-off - I may be paranoid but that much money would be a temptation for most people!)? You will not know if you're coming or going and are making a huge amount of work for yourself! Decide how you want paying and tell them (recommend monthly in advance by standing order!), and you come across as desperate for whatever coppers they can throw you. Also for this reason why have 'if you are having difficulties paying' at the top of the page - suggest you get rid of it or have it in a separate policy/discuss with them if and when they do have an issue.

Sorry I sound very critical now, but it looks great, just needs proof-reading & tweaking. :)

Jiorjiina
16-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Nice site!

Personally, I found it hard to read the different colours, and I hate to say it but I don't think that different paragraphs in different colours looks very professional. I see why you've done it, but all in one colour usually looks better (and is easier to read!)

You have two testimonial apps on there.

Agree with Leeloo about writing your text in word, spell checking and then copying and pasting. I did that too, it save a lot of hassle.

I wouldn't add a testimonial or a reference page until I actually have some to add, since otherwise it looks like you've got nothing in spite of all your experience.

You might consider actively linking your babysitting and childminding websites, instead of just writing the address in, since not only is it more convenient for users, but it also helps your site to get a better ranking on search engines (as a prominent advert would have us believe, every little helps!)

For the Ofsted and the EYFS page, how about an FAQ page, which you can do really easily with webs.

Really good information though, and I think your made a great job of putting the site together overall!

stardust
16-07-2011, 08:44 PM
thank you for your comments.
Yep I am putting pictures on there.
I can't write short descriptions I physically can't I feel like I'm missing something out.
With payment options I was trying to be flexible.
My website is not yet finished (not going to be child minding until nov/dec as on mat leave i'm just being organised), once it completely done ill ask my previous employers to pop a testimonial on there for me.

Pixie dust
16-07-2011, 08:45 PM
On your holidays you say by law employees have to take 20 days holidays plus bank holidays but you will be self employed so it's different. I am not sure you really need to write that, you could just say you will be taking 'x' amount of holiday during the year.