PDA

View Full Version : Activities for 8 year old boys?

SamBaker
12-07-2011, 11:57 AM
I have twin boys coming to me tomorrow before they start full time in September. I was wondering if you have any ideas for activities? I dont want to just let them play on the wii and ds', i dont mind now and again but not every day as I'm sure they will get bored.

Thank you xx

SamBaker
12-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Have I stumped everyone as well?? lol!

Pixie dust
12-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Lego or any construction type toy. Art and craft stuff.

Zoomie
12-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Football in the garden, or my (9y olds) current favourite .... tennis (maybe not a good idea, as I have a 'green' in front of my house where they can play but not be on top of everyone's windows.

SamBaker
12-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Yes I was thinking maybe swing ball, i only have a tiny garden lol! Really am stuck on this one, the trouble is they have said their other CM is boring, so pressure then lol!!

danasdaycare
12-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Well if weather is good, do you have any nature trails around where they could look out for creepy crawlies etc? Sure they would like that.

Mind you, they maybe will want to just explore and ask you lots seeing as first day..

Have a good day :thumbsup:

Dana

linda2girls
12-07-2011, 07:44 PM
I look after 9 year old boys and my advice would be get them out and about as much as you can. There are some great treasure hunts on nature detectives, I have used the spring and autumn ones in the holidays.

I'm lucky that I have a trampoline in the garden, because whenever we are here they are out on it. On wet days I let them spend time on the wii or I will put a DVD on for them. We also have lots of Lego and lots of board games, they have Jenga out a lot. I also have a tandem space-hopper which they use indoors and outdoors.

I bet initially they just play with the baby toys and watch Cbeebies!

Linda.

mushpea
12-07-2011, 07:48 PM
mine are in to den making at the moment,, they use a 4 fold cloths airer, blankets and pegs and make a den each ( i have 2 airers) then they make guns from multilink and attack each others dens,, yes guns but they are nto allowed to say bang bang your dead when the littlies are here so they say plop plop splat!! and pretend they are paint guns!
I have got some peices of wood in the garden which OH cut up for me that they build up and knock down pretending they are jousting knights or they make houses from or seats out of it then they use bark chippings to decorate their creations,
also they like action figures, lego, marble run, knex, baking, playdough, drawing and chillin in front of the tv although I limit this time.

SandCastles
12-07-2011, 09:20 PM
I tell the parents of my over 8's that their time with me will be mostly helping playing with the little one's.
Then I judge their reaction - I have been lucky that every parent has said that's a good idea, and they love little one's and are use to being around small babies and toddlers.
So far my over 8's play some wii, and watch a little cartoon network, but mostly play with in the garden teaching 'catch' and football to the other children, they enjoy the responsibility of being called to do a special job while the others play.
In the colder and wetter months I will ask them to devise a timetable of what they do on which days so they get a mix of cooking, painting, crafts, junk modelling etc.. to make there time more structured (depending on how they take to it)

rachelle
12-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I have 8 year old twin boys (my own!)
They like: lego, hex bugs, junk modelling, using water and mud etc etc to make potions, cars, ball games, scooters. 8 year old boys are like puppies, need lots of exercise but can be trained!:) :) (they also need reminding to wee slowly and look where it's going ;) )

SamBaker
13-07-2011, 07:20 AM
I have 8 year old twin boys (my own!)
They like: lego, hex bugs, junk modelling, using water and mud etc etc to make potions, cars, ball games, scooters. 8 year old boys are like puppies, need lots of exercise but can be trained!:) :) (they also need reminding to wee slowly and look where it's going ;) )

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: