PDA

View Full Version : Present for Teacher

Pipsqueak
11-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Just reading a thread on NM's

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/general-coffeehouse-chat-514/coffee-lounge-18/605612-when-did-all-gift-giving-teacher-assistant-dinner-lady-etc-etc-start.html#post6270558

and its true - when did all this competitive business start (guess which reply is mine on there:D )

I don't buy into it personally

The Juggler
11-07-2011, 05:21 PM
good thread. I hate it all - feel pressured (and broke) if I buy and guilty if I don't. Mostly I jsut make a card with the kids but now they always want to buy somethign because everyone else does.

I know I appreciate all the little pressies I get but I don't expect them. A card which says thank you from parents means so much more.

So this year, we are making cards, I will make one from me as teacher have been fab this year but that is it. I've bought wine before but what a waste if they don't drink/don't like red or white :panic: :panic:

PixiePetal
11-07-2011, 05:32 PM
I only gave teachers something small if my children asked and they had been particularly nice. My DD teacher in yr 3/4 was a dragon - she got nothing :) DD bought her some sweets from our holiday once, I said why because you don't like her and she replied that she might if I give her the sweets.:rolleyes: She bought them (little bag of 'best teacher' sweets) gave them and teacher put them aside and said 'Oh better not eat them I will get fat' and they sat on the side of the class for the rest of the day. DD gave up on teacher after that.

I worked in a nursery once and a little handmade card and nice words are enough :thumbsup: I still have them :)

FussyElmo
11-07-2011, 05:48 PM
I will this year be making my sons teachers some cakes and put them in a nice box BUT thay is only because they have deserved them.

Last year DS!'s teacher got nowt because that was all he deserved. I just dont do this "make it an expensive pressie because it makes us look good".

One teacher around from a school around here actually gave out a gift list of what she would like - I know what I would have done with that :rolleyes:

breezy
11-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Personally dont do it except a homemade card or picture or similar.
My friend is a TA and said nice though it is, theres only so much chocolate they can eat and teachers much prefer something thats taken thought and effort from child, not the parents purse.

Trouble
11-07-2011, 06:20 PM
ZILTCH:D :laughing: :laughing:

Chimps Childminding
11-07-2011, 10:15 PM
I used to buy my sons teachers a present, just something small. One year I bought pretty notelets, apparently they came in really useful for the thank you letters she sent out for all the presents she got at the end of term :D

caz3007
12-07-2011, 05:47 AM
My son has made cards for his teacher and assistant. I will probably make them both a set of notelets each as like you say you can only eat so many chocolates.

I had better get a move on....lol

LOOPYLISA
12-07-2011, 06:53 AM
My dd came home and said her form wereputting in £5 each for a pandora bracelet for her teacher errrr no your not :D

We usually do card and chocs or something but now she's in high school there are so many teachers we prob won't bother :p

flowerpots
12-07-2011, 06:58 AM
I will this year be making my sons teachers some cakes and put them in a nice box BUT thay is only because they have deserved them.

Last year DS!'s teacher got nowt because that was all he deserved. I just dont do this "make it an expensive pressie because it makes us look good".

One teacher around from a school around here actually gave out a gift list of what she would like - I know what I would have done with that :rolleyes:

:eeeek: thats terrible!!!!

I will be getting ds teacher a little something, he is my eldest and is just leaving pre-school, his teacher has been amazing. Dont think i will do it every year though. :)

Pauline
12-07-2011, 06:59 AM
It is pressure from the shops as usual making it a 'required' necessity

Yesterday I pointed out a whole display of gifts in Asda, entitled "thank you teacher" all designed to send parents on a guilt trip no doubt. :rolleyes:

wendywu
12-07-2011, 11:13 AM
If they went on strike then i wold not even bother :panic:

charleyfarley
12-07-2011, 11:56 AM
One of Mitchells teachers will be getting a special something as she is retiring this year (nothing to do with Mitchell she assures me :laughing: ) and I do really like her. She has helped him so much so she deserves it :thumbsup:

The other 2 teachers will be getting something small, the notelets are a fab idea :thumbsup:

Any helpers get nothing, sorry but I'm not made of money or I could make some cakes for break time :thumbsup:

Carol xxx

SamBaker
12-07-2011, 12:02 PM
I have just put in a fiver for my daughters teacher in to a whip round and one of the parents managed to get hold of a charlton football from the club that all of the class have signed. He has been brilliant though, on the other hand the teaching assistant will be getting nothing from me as she never has any time for the children, when she told my daughter to sit down when she was very ill and had a banging headache, that was enough for me!!!

kindredspirits
12-07-2011, 12:14 PM
well I for one think its the worlds best idea - and seeing as I will be home educating DS I intend to buy myself a huge box of thorntons at the end of every July!! :D (only kidding, I think the whole process is stupid)

Daddy Day Care
12-07-2011, 06:30 PM
You misserable lot!! :D

Ive only got 1 Child in school and am buying 5 gifts!!

one for her teacher, one for her stand in teacher as teacher #1 is on maternity leave, and 1 for the classroom helper, all 3 have been lovely tho, mny duaghter moved to this school in october, and her attitude and school work has come on so much sicne the move. She was always in trouble at her old school and has never once been in toruble here.

The other 2 gifts are for 2 of the teachers at my sons nursery, theres over a dozen teachers there so had to cut back there, to his key worker and the one that he likes the most, both again are lovely and 1 incredibly fit :laughing: .

Gareth
xxxx

francinejayne
12-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Myself and my son made home made soaps for 5 of his favourite teachers from pre-school - there are about 10 teachers in total.
The 'ingredients' for the soap only cost a few pounds, and we made our own wrapping paper and gift tags using paintings Albie had done.
I just figured I would much prefer a hand made gift that someone had thought about rather than a box of choccies, so that is what we did for his 5 favourite teachers.

PixiePetal
12-07-2011, 07:50 PM
well I for one think its the worlds best idea - and seeing as I will be home educating DS I intend to buy myself a huge box of thorntons at the end of every July!! :D (only kidding, I think the whole process is stupid)

:thumbsup: :laughing:

angeldelight
12-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I think its about time the shops started selling things for " best childminder " etc :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

TammyN
14-07-2011, 10:30 AM
I have made wishing stars this year for my DD pre school teachers, so easy to make, very personal wishes inside and look lovely when wrapped in a pouch with a home made gift tag.
wish i knew how to upload pics as ive just took a photo :thumbsup:
I know what you mean tho about the shops going ott.
Tammy xx

Pipsqueak
14-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Tam - they look brilliant:clapping: :D

TammyN
14-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Tam - they look brilliant:clapping: :D

Thanx i'm quite proud of them, i love home made gifts and Maddi had loads of fun painting the tags. my ds aged 7 has even learnt how to make the stars :)