PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for "growing up" books?

Mouse
11-07-2011, 12:52 PM
My daughter is 10 and doing sex ed at school...or should be! They had a session last week on what happens to your body when you grow up and she found it really uncomfortable to watch the DVD. Unfortunately the teacher said that if they felt uncomfortable after that, the one for this week (how babies are made & giving birth) would be even worse! DD has spent the weekend worrying about it & I have had a phone call today to say that she is being excused from watching the DVD as they think it'll do more harm that good. The support teacher I spoke to said they do a re-cap next year, so she won't miss out completely.

I thought it would be a good idea if I got DD a book to read so she can look at it in her own time & when she is ready, but looking on Amazon, there are hundreds! Are there any you have used with your own children and would think are suitable for a sensitive 10yr old?

The Juggler
11-07-2011, 01:02 PM
yes 2, both on Amazon

Girls Only (about a fiver)
and
Let's Talk About Sex (about £8 I think)

fab books. I also got Boys Only for my ds:thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
11-07-2011, 05:37 PM
I have 'Lets talk about sex' and can highly recommend it. x

breezy
11-07-2011, 05:56 PM
We have " lets talk about sex" oh and " living with a willy" is great for boys!

Milli147
11-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Oh bless her, I am so pleased to hear the school are dealing with it sensitively, not everyone is ready to learn about these things at the same time, and it does sound a bit in-depth for y5's.

We have Girls Only, it's a good one.