PDA

View Full Version : Howdi

Mainey84
09-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Hey all,

I signed up here a while ago as i've been planning to become a childminder for a long time, but at the time of joining the house i was in wasn't suitable to mind in.

I've now moved (moved counties actually) and have my pre-reg course and my areas ICP equivilent booked in November eeek!

So i thought i'd say hi, my name is Chermaine, i'm 26, married and have a nearly 2 year old. I live in Pontefract, West Yorkshire.

I have a CACHE DCE but after qualifying i couldn't find a job :( So for the past 4 years i have slaved away for Ronald McDonald and now i'm ready for out.

I have made a start on my policies and procedures and just can't wait to get it all started properly.

I do have one question though. I'm a shift manager and had to complete my restaurant food safety course which is either a level2 or 3 qualification and was wondering if this could count rather than doing it all again without Restaurant in the title?

Hope everyone is well xx

breezy
09-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Hi and welcome :)

tulip0803
09-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Hello and welcome:)

Ofsted will be able to tell you if they will accept it. Having said that my last Level 2 Food Safety course taught me to design a hotel kitchen:rolleyes:

Penny1959
10-07-2011, 03:25 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum

Hope all goes well with setting up as a childminder

Food Hygine is not an Ofsted requirement and it is not a Environmental Health one either. It is good practice and helps to demonstrate that you are keeping children safe.

Childminders are required to follow the information in the Safer Foods, Better Business for Childminders pack - and even then you don't have to fill in the check forms and can record the information elsewhere (mine is recorded in my evidence diary)

I had my graded inspection in Oct 10 and got outstanding without one and I had an unannouced visit from environmental health on Tuesday and don't have one and 'passed'

Some local authorties have it a requirement for their funding and some as a requirement to be a member of their network.

Therefore unless a requirement locally, it is up to you if you do another course now - or in the future.

You will find that as you go through the process of registering a lot of things that appear to be Ofsted requirements are in fact not and are individuals personal choice for their own professional development and their setting.

This forum is great as you will get lots of different opinions / advice which you can read to aid your research and to help you decide what you want to do over and above the legal requirements. However remember that some members (including me) have strong feelings on some things which is when it might come across as a 'must have' when in fact it just personal opinion.

It is your responsibility to ensure you are meeting the legal requirements at all times and your decission what 'extras' you do.

Good Luck

Penny :)

Mainey84
10-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Thank you for your reply Penny. I've been lurking the forum for over a year now and know its fantastic and oozing with advice, just taken me so long to get ready to just start it all. Also can't wait to be able to join in the discussions properly haha

Thank you Breezy and Tulip for your welcomes :)

Blackcat
12-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Thank you for your reply Penny. I've been lurking the forum for over a year now and know its fantastic and oozing with advice, just taken me so long to get ready to just start it all. Also can't wait to be able to join in the discussions properly haha

Thank you Breezy and Tulip for your welcomes :)

HELLO, where abouts in ponte are you?

I was born in pontefract , went to carleton high and grew up in chequerfield (where my mum and dad still live) :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: