PDA

View Full Version : EYFS - having a mild panic!!

fluff1975
08-07-2011, 08:15 PM
I mind a 4 yr old at school she's 5 this August. From the word go I was told I would not need to do EYFS with her. At my registration visit, the inspector said I wouldn't need to as 'school is her main educator'.

I'm now in a mild panic as I'm reading here that I should be doing EYFS with her! We leave for school 20 mins after she arrives in the morning, and is collected 40 mins after we get home from school.

I've been taking photos from day one and putting them in a book, mainly so I have something to give the family when she leaves. Do you think this will do? Should I go back through the pictures and link them to EYFS?

miss mopple
08-07-2011, 08:20 PM
In my experience ofsted arent that interested in eyfs with reception kids. A scrap book with pics was more than enough when I was inspected. The inspector actually said 'if all they want to do is watch tv let them!'

PixiePetal
08-07-2011, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't worry too much, maybe label the pics with which areas they cover and make a note of what you have done to bring on further.

Look through the ages and stages and see if she is meeting any goals.

sarah707
08-07-2011, 08:22 PM
I do a routine list which is linked to the Eyfs... then note if the child has done something else with their time :D

retha
08-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Hi, I have 2 after school kids - both of them started when they were only 4yrs old. One of them only come for 1 day a week.

With regards to EYFS I do a scrapbook for both of them. I take photos of activities we do, also paste some pictures or other things they did in it. Basically it's a nice memory book for parents, but I also make small notes linking to EYFS. I'll give you some examples:

- All About Me page in the front - I put a photo of child, then wrote things like favourite colour, food, things I like doing, things I don't like, that kind of thing...
- Paste a picture of child that drew a picture of herself, also added strip of paper where child wrote her own name. She also once drew a picture of her house & family which I put in there. (PSED & CLL)
- She loves books & once made her own 'book' with folded paper - she added pictures and random letters inside. (CLL - Writing)
- When doing junk modelling or building lego I take photo of it and make quick notes of how they explained what they made... then put this in scrapbook under CD & KUW (could link to others too, dep on activity).
- After a cutting activity where they cut out clothes & pasted it on paper dolls I pasted those in & made notes of their cutting skills (holding it correctly, cut in stright lines, cut with 1 or 2 changes of direction, etc..)
- We went for walk in forest where boys climbed the trees - I took photos & put under PD.
- During forest walk I gave them old camera to take their own photos - added their photos to scrapbook with notes about what they took picture of, why and what they said about it (for example taking picture of a duck & then talk about how ducks leave during the winter time). Put this under KUW (Exploring & ICT)

With regards to planning I go completely with their interests. Since they start doing phonics in reception I provided lots of books, painted a red cardboard postbox to 'post' letters to each other. Or prepare a treasure hunt - use pictures as clues for younger kids and words & pictures for school kids.
I also ask parents to let me know what themes they are doing each term, then I know beforehand to add to that (really sparks the kids' interest).
As you said yourself, the school is their primary educator - I simply go with their interests which helps them to enjoy what they learn overall.
I have an 'early learning goals' checklist where I also make notes at end of term, not sure if this is required though.

I would continue with the book you're using, add your photos & just make small notes (I just write on label stickers). That should be more than enough.

Hope I've been of some help.
Retha
:thumbsup:

littleraspberry
09-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I have a four year old who I only have for less than an hour three days a week. He has a miniature version of the folders I use for my EYFS children, but mostly because I find it easier to have everything in the same general format. I add photos and examples of pictures, etc, he has done, and any little interesting observations on sticky notes. I sometimes make a short note of EYFS statements on relevant photos, but I don't worry too much.
My Ofsted inspector was quite happy with it.

catswhiskers
09-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Fluff - I wouldn't worry unless your inspection is due any time!

I've looked after one mindee for 4 years now (since she was 6 months old) and she will be leaving me in 2 weeks time (as will her bruv who is 2 and a half). She will be going to reception in Sept.

My inspection is way overdue (my last one was Nov 07) and in all that time I've completed 7 folders worth of stuff (diary, photos, obs) on this child and for what? Also 4 folders on her bruv who I have had for 4 days a week. In 2 weeks time I will hand them over to parents and Ofsted haven't even seen them.

I feel very deflated really and it's got me thinking about how I will be doing any paperwork for the babies I'm taking on now.

wendywu
09-07-2011, 10:31 PM
You dont need to do the EYFS with her in two weeks time when term ends.

Then you could give the LJ to her parents anyway and would not have it to show Ofsted.

So dont panic and enjoy the summer holidays :thumbsup:

fluff1975
10-07-2011, 09:29 PM
You dont need to do the EYFS with her in two weeks time when term ends.

Then you could give the LJ to her parents anyway and would not have it to show Ofsted.

So dont panic and enjoy the summer holidays :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone! I'll stick with what I'm doing and add notes to tie in.

wendywu I love the above! I'm due my first inspection in August but am term time only. Just be my luck they'll turn up on day 1 of the new term when I'll have 3 to take to new classes at school (1 of them my own starting for the first time), plus a 5 month old and a 14 month old! Bring it on!