PDA

View Full Version : Would you hold a teenage party in your house?

clorogue
01-07-2011, 07:34 PM
I am just interested, my teenage son went to a Summer Ball Leaving School after party at a friends house. Would you hold one of these in your home or a teenage party?

Pipsqueak
01-07-2011, 07:41 PM
More than likely not no. The potential for it to get out of hand is huge. Even if you laid on some burly bouncers (ie lots of adult presence) the potential for gatecrashers - the word spreading - it turning sour......

If you think you can keep it lowkey and in control then yes

snufflepuff
01-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Hard to say really- my son is only 2 and it's not actually been all that long since I was a teenager myself. Chances are i'd say no.
I had a few parties as a teen and it never got too bad- bit messy, the odd spill, the worst was a broken toilet seat- certainly no gatecrashers. Nothing too major (although my Mum still went a bit mad at me!). On the other hand my OH's little sister had a party once and had lots of people turn up who she didn't even know. The damage was awful, MIL actually had to pull up some of the carpets because they we're ruined.
Not worth the risk!

Mouse
01-07-2011, 08:19 PM
My teenage sons have been to several house parties where the parents aren't at home. No way would I let them do that!

I may consider it if we were home (though we would keep out of the way) and if I knew who was being invited, though even then I'd be wary. A friend of mine let her 17yr old have a party, there were lots of gatecrashers & someone ended up being stabbed :eek: I know we had lots of house parties when I was a teenager, but they were never that out of hand (drinking & smoking was as bad as it got)

Dragonfly
01-07-2011, 08:33 PM
NO I wouldnt :panic:

breezy
01-07-2011, 08:33 PM
No dont think I'd take the risk !:panic:

Twinkles
01-07-2011, 08:37 PM
I would but only if they let me join in :D

So far no takers :laughing:

PixiePetal
01-07-2011, 08:55 PM
No. Not without me being in the vicinity.

DD went to a 17th birthday party at a friends house (parents away, another friends birthday party held there) We got a phone call before 9pm - she had gone at 7.45, asking to come and collect her. Only a dozen or so partygoers - all but 3 totally drunk, smoking weed and throwing up indoors and out. She does not smoke or drink and has a phobia of sick :rolleyes:

No way would I have that in my house. No way would she want it either luckily.

sarah707
01-07-2011, 09:40 PM
I held an after prom party for dd last year... I limited it to 12 of them and I was in the house but pretty much left them to it.

I think a few people gate crashed but apart from one wally who drank too much they were all really well behaved.

It was nice weather so they sat outside most of the evening and had music and drinks and some nibbles.

I'll do it again for ds if he wants next year if my nerves can take it!! :D

Happy Bunny
01-07-2011, 09:46 PM
my son has been invited to a party, but I'm being a meanie and not letting him go.
Purely for the reason that I know for a fact there will be alcohol there.
He is only 15 and thinks I am being unfair.
Told him I am a responsible adult!!!

The Juggler
01-07-2011, 10:56 PM
no.... but mainly cos I remember my parents letting me have one in their house and .... well let's just say, sickness, fag burns and spills on the carpet :panic: :panic: :panic: would not go there with my two - or at least not without me hanging around very closely:panic:

clorogue
02-07-2011, 09:12 AM
I would do anything for my children but having seen what went on :eek: was a bit of an eye opener. I suppose it went on in our day, but I really don't think to the degree now.

To have friends around fine, but I would be worried if I had anything bigger the potential to get out of control is there.

Also I wondered about alcholol laws. I believe that at 16 or 17 you can have alchohol at a friends house, but not sure about the legality if they bring it or you serve it and something happens.

QualityCare
02-07-2011, 01:03 PM
My son has been to several from the age of 16yrs he is now 18yrs both in hired halls and at childrens houses all supervised (parents banished to upstairs) all have gone ok, once they turned 17yrs alcohol became involved not in excess as they had to buy their own but we found they looked after each other as obviously some drank more than others but it never got out of hand, if they thought that one of them had had enough he would be taken home by a couple of friends, they would also all go home in groups so that no-one ever walked alone there was always 2 who lived on the same street so they would be the last to walk home. So yes l would probably allow it, its a matter of trust, your attitude to alcohol and how you have brought your children up regarding drinking and the consequences.

SYLVIA
02-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I've done lots for my girls in the past and have to say i'm glad they are older and wont have to do it again!

Milli147
02-07-2011, 07:23 PM
NO:panic:

But then, I guess if it's at yours you can keep an eye on them...maybe? Oh I am dreading it!

miss mopple
02-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Not a hope in hell!

But then I have never had so much as a kiddy birthday party for mine at home and never will. Meanie I am :laughing:

rickysmiths
02-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Oh, I had my dd 18th at our home. 12 of them sat down for dinner cooked mainly by dd. We went out for a meal with friends and left them to it. 9 of them stayed the night and dd got up and cooked a full english for all of them and me :D dh had already gone to work and missed his!

The kids were fab.

alwaysright
02-07-2011, 09:22 PM
omg many years ago when i was 17 my parents went on holiday leaving me in charge of the house my 16 year old brother and 14 year old sister......unbelievable to think of it now.......any way i had a sneaky party which got out of hand and gatecrashers turned up but we wouldnt let them in so they threw a brick through our huge bay window :eek: so i think i would say no to that one now :laughing:

ajs
02-07-2011, 11:00 PM
I
My son has been to several from the age of 16yrs he is now 18yrs both in hired halls and at childrens houses all supervised (parents banished to upstairs) all have gone ok, once they turned 17yrs alcohol became involved not in excess as they had to buy their own but we found they looked after each other as obviously some drank more than others but it never got out of hand, if they thought that one of them had had enough he would be taken home by a couple of friends, they would also all go home in groups so that no-one ever walked alone there was always 2 who lived on the same street so they would be the last to walk home. So yes l would probably allow it, its a matter of trust, your attitude to alcohol and how you have brought your children up regarding drinking and the consequences.

I'd say no too as its not about how sensible your children are but how sensibly their friends are, 1 only has to put it on fb and that's it chaos

PixiePetal
03-07-2011, 09:24 AM
I

I'd say no too as its not about how sensible your children are but how sensibly their friends are, 1 only has to put it on fb and that's it chaos

my thoughts exactly - as DD does not drink, smoke or do drugs she is 'miss sensible' and happy to voice her opinions and not be led by wayward friends :) I totally trust her and some of her friends - they tend to be in 2 groups.One group I would not mind, the other - no thanks :o

she would like a summer camp-over party, this should be about 8 people in the garden and no drinkers. think we will be ok especially as we will be indoors and as there is an outside loo no reason to come in overnight :thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
03-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Nope :panic: Its ok if you can guarantee that it will be just a few friends. BUT like someone said it only takes one to mention it on FB and every idiot in the vicinity will be there not worrying about who'se house it is they are being sick all over or trashing :eek:

Certainly wouldn't risk going out and leaving them to it :panic: :panic:
Think I have just talked myself out of going away on holiday with dh and leaving 4 ds' behind (they are 18 1/2 and 20) :eek:

rickysmiths
03-07-2011, 09:32 AM

I agree and this has happened within my daughters frendship group, she is 18 now, and is happening in my sons, he is 16 1/2yr.

All the parents have set boundries, the children are well aware of what happens on Face Book and control and protect what they put on there.

None of their parties have ever been gate crashed.

None of our houses have been trashed or had anything (apart from the odd glass!) broken or damaged.

They go and tell the neighbours if there is a party and loud misic is turned down at 11pm, not that they are into very loud music I must say.

Unlike our neighbours now 17yr old who has a b'day party in the garden every year for the last 6yrs, all and sundry go, with alcohol on sale and drugs and the music could lift a plane off the runway at Heathrow until 3am :angry:
Now that I would not allow, but thankfully my children and their friends are not interested in this kind of 'do'. Some of the last 16-18 years nurturing must have worked. :thumbsup:

QualityCare
03-07-2011, 10:34 AM
I guess l am just lucky that both my boys are sensible, the 18yr old has a good circle of friends they do not use face book to advertise there where abouts its socially used to chat to people day to day activities if they go out its arranged by text or phone. we went away the other weekend left both boys at home alone 1st time ever and nothing happened they knew we trusted them, 18yr old was told if he wanted to go out that weekend it had to be Thurs night as we had to be up 5am to leave and l don't sleep well until he's in, and l didn't want him out Sat night leaving 16yr old on his own not because l didn't trust him but because he had been alone all day sat while other one worked and again sun.

rickysmiths
03-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Nope :panic: Its ok if you can guarantee that it will be just a few friends. BUT like someone said it only takes one to mention it on FB and every idiot in the vicinity will be there not worrying about who'se house it is they are being sick all over or trashing :eek:

Certainly wouldn't risk going out and leaving them to it :panic: :panic:
Think I have just talked myself out of going away on holiday with dh and leaving 4 ds' behind (they are 18 1/2 and 20) :eek:

Sorry but thats simply not the case. If the teenagers use Facebook the correct and sensible way to invite friends to a party they do it under Private settings to their friends. Not every idiot in the vicinity. If they are advertising things in s silly way then no I wouldn't let them have a party.

The teenagers are motivated to do things in a responsible way because they actually get more freedom. Also the last thing they want is a load of louts trashing their fun and homes.

rickysmiths
03-07-2011, 12:14 PM
I guess l am just lucky that both my boys are sensible, the 18yr old has a good circle of friends they do not use face book to advertise there where abouts its socially used to chat to people day to day activities if they go out its arranged by text or phone. we went away the other weekend left both boys at home alone 1st time ever and nothing happened they knew we trusted them, 18yr old was told if he wanted to go out that weekend it had to be Thurs night as we had to be up 5am to leave and l don't sleep well until he's in, and l didn't want him out Sat night leaving 16yr old on his own not because l didn't trust him but because he had been alone all day sat while other one worked and again sun.

Well Qualitycare we must be lucky as well. :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
03-07-2011, 12:28 PM
I feel that I can trust my children but not sure about others

Think it would depend on who was coming and if my DS was about (19 at the moment) to keep an eye out and be the bouncer to unwanted guests

Chimps Childminding
03-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Sorry but thats simply not the case. If the teenagers use Facebook the correct and sensible way to invite friends to a party they do it under Private settings to their friends. Not every idiot in the vicinity. If they are advertising things in s silly way then no I wouldn't let them have a party.

The teenagers are motivated to do things in a responsible way because they actually get more freedom. Also the last thing they want is a load of louts trashing their fun and homes.

Not talking about my sons - just one of their so called mates thinking it would be a laugh to put it on FB :rolleyes: It happens :(

The Juggler
03-07-2011, 03:22 PM

i have a 21 year old neice who has over 400 FB friends though so can imagine they would still not be 'friends' in the sense we all think. If they were messaging only those they wanted to invite privately I guess it'd bbe ok but it only takes one of those friends to mention the party at xx's house and you could have all the other FB friends turning up too :panic:

rickysmiths
03-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I can see your point. It seems to work for our children they way they do it so all us parents are happy.

Greengrass74
03-07-2011, 03:33 PM
I don't think its just teenagers, I have been to some pretty out of control house parties organised by "Adults" :rolleyes: