PDA

View Full Version : desperate to be registered

mrscross
28-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Hi Ladies i am new here and this is my 1st post :)

I am booked onto my pre registration briefing and introduction to childminding course in september, and i understand the process can be quite long. However I really want to be registered ASAP

I have already written policies and procedures, done a lot of risk assessments (i understand some cant be done until i am minding), i have made permission forms, weekly attendance records meal plan templates etc

i am also part way through completing my ofstead form so this can be sent as soon as possible after pre registration and i am booked on to a 12 hour pediatric first aid course

im mainly wondering if there is any advice you can give me as to other things i can do to prepare

thanks in advance :)

Jiorjiina
29-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Have you booked yourself onto a paediatric first aid course? How about food hygiene course / environmental health check.

I'm not sure how quickly you can be registered without having done the pre-reg briefing and Introduction course, but I'm sure someone else here does!

Penny1959
30-06-2011, 04:18 AM
Hello and welcome

You can apply to Ofsted - ie send in the form as soon as you think you are ready

First Aid has to be in place before you can be registered, other things within 6 months of registration.

Some things are local requirements - and although good practice and often attached to conditions for any funding from local authority - are not Ofsted 'musts haves' for registration.

Make sure you go through the are you ready for your inspection booklet and are confident to answer the questions,

Have you managed to get hold of a copy of the EYFS? You will need to be familiar with this and the statutory framework will tell you want you must have in place.

There is lots of information on the forum - but remember it is your responsibilty to check things out for yourself - different childminders have different views- some are happy to meet the required standards and do not want to do 'extra' - others are constantly wanting to improve practice and exceed the required standards - some are passionate about certain areas and so do lots to support that area of practice - some love paperwork while others hate it - so the difference in their views can be great.

AND all those different views are 'right' as there is not a set or standard way - provided the requirements of EYFS are met.

On top of that different local authorities have different requirements and even different inspectors have different views.

All very confusing but refer to ofsted guidelines www.ofsted.gov.uk - take a balanced view based on what you want for your setting. Start of with the basic (essentials) and between your pre reg visit and your first graded inspection - decide on and implement systems and practices that will enable you to offer the sort of childminding setting that you want.

And to answer you question about time it takes to register - Ofsted can not be hurried and neither can things like availability of courses and CRB checks.

Good Luck - frustrating though it is - you will get there!

Penny :)

miffy
30-06-2011, 07:18 AM
There's lots of information here too

http://www.*************/childminders.aspx

Good luck

Miffy xx

Kezzle
30-06-2011, 09:30 AM
It has taken me 4 months to go from briefing sessions to the end of my BIT (ICP) course with application and medicals all in check with ofsted and CRBs half way through their process and first aid in hand. Your very prepared already so it shouldn't take too long providing your Local Authority are offering out regular courses. :)

sharonmanc
30-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi , I am keen to get registered too, but I have given my self a goal of being registered and hopefully having mindees by next April, i know a while off yet, but like has been said availability of courses etc. I have my briefing a week today, so am waiting to find out about if there is funding, and also courses etcbefore i go all out :blush: I am prone to getting carried away. I am working on policies and procedures this week and also some risk asssessments, I need to start somewhere, but my notes a massive mess ha ha, my own fault, need to sift through them.

Good luck :thumbsup:

mrscross
30-06-2011, 07:14 PM
thank you all for your replies some great advice given.

penny i have a copy of eyfs so will start by having a good look at that and like you say as soon as i feel i would be confident for pre registration visit from ofstead i will send off my applications and i'll also look at getting on a 1st aid course

mrscross
30-06-2011, 07:25 PM
ok well i thought i had a copy of it but cant find it :( anyone know where i can access it online?

miffy
30-06-2011, 09:26 PM
ok well i thought i had a copy of it but cant find it :( anyone know where i can access it online?

Here you go

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110202093118/http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/

Miffy xx