PDA

View Full Version : First Aid kits?

M&AsMummy
25-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Sorry if this is not the correct place but I couldn't find anywhere suitable really, I'm still getting use to the forum.

I need to buy my first aid kit and a travel version for my bag.

Can anyone recommend where they bought theirs from? Online would be great but if a bargain is to be hand elsewhere that would be fab too! :)

Thanks x

shazsull
25-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I THINK MINE WAS FROM E BAY ABOUT 12.99 i typed in childminders 1 st aid kits it says its ofsted approved

QualityCare
25-06-2011, 03:33 PM
not sure if NCMA do one but it is usually cheaper to make your own up and put it in a clearly labelled box. When l did my first aid training we were given a list of what we should have in it. Make sure you regularly check the contents as bandages etc have a use before date on them and even if still sealed will not be sterile.

Katiekoo
25-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Asda do a cheap travel kit, I got mine delivered with my groceries! Remember to tailor your permission form according to the contents though :)

Greengrass74
25-06-2011, 05:01 PM
St Johns have loads of first aid kits and other stuff. Have a look at this one it is a Complete Child Care Bundle which has 2 first aid kits plus loads of other stuff

http://www.stjohnsupplies.co.uk/products/default.asp?productId=F00010

M&AsMummy
25-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Thank you very much for your replies. :thumbsup:

I will have a look at all the suggestions.

x

sarah707
25-06-2011, 08:12 PM
St Johns have loads of first aid kits and other stuff. Have a look at this one it is a Complete Child Care Bundle which has 2 first aid kits plus loads of other stuff

http://www.stjohnsupplies.co.uk/products/default.asp?productId=F00010

Sorry Dave having been on part 2 of my first aid course today I cannot recommend that pack to childminders.

It contains a number of items we have been told we cannot use such as a thermometer (we can only use the ear ones with cardboard throw away inserts) and hydrogel (no lotions, potions etc).

We were also told to throw away any eye wash we have lurking in our kits and use running water instead.

It also doesn't contain the bandages and dressings we need to have.

See below for more suggestions. Hth :D

sarah707
25-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Ok I have put together the following which I hope you might find useful :D

First aid box contents for childminders

This is the list I have written following my first aid training (June 2011).

The contents are recommended by East Cheshire trainers and are correct now.

1 x guidance leaflet
1 x Resusciade – face shield for CPR
20 x assorted wash proof plasters / self adhesive dressings - hypoallergenic
2 x eye pad dressings with loop – must be sterile
4 x triangular bandages – individually wrapped and sterile
5 x small wound dressings
5 x medium wound dressings
2 x large wound dressings
5 x Melolin small low adherent dressings (5 x 5 cm)
5 x Melolin large low adherent dressings (10 x 10 cm)
1 x Micropore Tape - hypo-allergenic
2 or more pairs of single use disposable gloves – not latex
1 x scissors with rounded ends
5 or more gauze swabs (never use cotton wool or paper towels)
1 x finger bandage and applicator
6 x non-alcoholic wipes – must be non alcoholic as alcoholic ones sting and it may be against family religious beliefs to use alcohol
6 x assorted safety pins

Notes
For washing eyes or burns you should use sterile water. You must not use eye baths as they promote cross infection.

Tweezers are ok by Ofsted as long as they are not used to make the situation worse. However first aid trainers say no to their use. They suggest we include an old credit card in the kit for sliding out stings or splinters.

The only thermometer recommended by first aid trainers is an ear thermometer with a throw away end (discarded after single use). If other types of thermometer are used they should be either discarded after each use or a sterilising / cleaning log must be kept. It should be noted that other types of thermometer are not always accurate.

The First Aid kit must be packaged in a green box featuring a white cross – this is a requirement of the Health and Safety executive.

The kit must be easily located by adults and must not contain lotions, potions or creams.

Disclaimer - recommendations for contents change and I cannot be held responsible for the comments of other trainers.

Greengrass74
26-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Sorry Dave having been on part 2 of my first aid course today I cannot recommend that pack to childminders.

It contains a number of items we have been told we cannot use such as a thermometer (we can only use the ear ones with cardboard throw away inserts) and hydrogel (no lotions, potions etc).

We were also told to throw away any eye wash we have lurking in our kits and use running water instead.

It also doesn't contain the bandages and dressings we need to have.

See below for more suggestions. Hth :D

Thanks for that I was going to order one but won't now. Maybe someone should tell St Johns then as they are selling these kits as "a complete child care bundle"

littleguy1
27-06-2011, 08:11 AM
I made my own up but she didn't even check mine or ask me any questions about it when she came

Jiorjiina
27-06-2011, 03:00 PM
I THINK MINE WAS FROM E BAY ABOUT 12.99 i typed in childminders 1 st aid kits it says its ofsted approved

There is no such thing as Ofsted approval for first aid kits. They may be compliant with what Ofsted says, but there is no official approval system.

I got a home and a travel one from Boots and anything not appropriate for childminders to have just went into our family first aid kit (which needed a major sort our and clearance anyway!)

Cammie Doodle
27-06-2011, 03:54 PM
At the last 2 first aid courses I have attended they have said no tweezer or safety pins, its really difficult to keep up with all the different recommendations . Thanks for yours Sarah