PDA

View Full Version : Space and numbers

Trpta108
24-06-2011, 11:07 PM
I have 5 children of my own 2, 4(full time at school and have a variation for him not to count as under 5), 9, 11 and 12. I use downstairs for minding ,where I have 2 front rooms(average size I would say). At the pre-reg visit I was registered for 2 under 8's. At the time one front room was used as a bedroom and I only intended to use this as a nap room. As my husband has now moved out, I have made that bedroom into a playroom. The question is do you think there is a chance Ofsted would up my numbers to 3 under 8's? How many children do you have compared to space? I currently care for children aged 4 and 6 before and after school 3 days aweek and cannot fill the rest of these days as no one seems to need care only during school hours:( .

Penny1959
25-06-2011, 03:39 AM
it is always worth asking - the worse it will be is no - but if you don't ask you will never know.

None of us will be able to guess what Ofsted will say as it is based on other things as well such as layout, needs of children, resources and so on

So suggest you ask Ofsted as soon as possible - then you will know!

Penny :)

HomefromHome
25-06-2011, 08:08 AM
i would ring them anyway as you have more space now to use and it was different from when they last saw you. it is space available ratio to number of children present, so definately worth a call. :)

Mouse
25-06-2011, 09:18 AM
If you read this, it gives you details of the amount of space needed per child

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/83976

I always think it's worth phoning up to ask. When my daughter was under 8, I was registered for 5 children. At my inspection I asked for it to be increased to 6 as she was then over 8 & out of my numbers. The inspector said that due to limited space she wanted to leave it at 5 children.

A year later I had a big move round & freed up some space. I phoned Ofsted to ask if it would be possible to increase my numbers to 6 under 8's, thinking I'd have to measure floor space & maybe have an inspector out to check. The person I spoke to said "oh yes, I can see you're daughter is now over 8, so yes you can have your numbers increased". They'd completely missed that fact that I was limited due to space, not my own children! I didn't point it out though & happily accepted my new certificate :thumbsup: