PDA

View Full Version : screening process.. anyone heard of this

kerry1
24-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Hiya
just rang family information service for the 20th time and they have a date for oct/nov ( finally) but they said they are doing a screening process before any information booklets are sent out??????????????

has anyone had this and is it right???

seems strange??
cheers xx

Pipsqueak
24-06-2011, 01:01 PM
never heard of a 'screening process' - we have a pre-reg where leaflets are given out and a talk is given. If people want to proceed they then come to a further prelim meeting and they sign up and get the booklets and stuff.

What with funds becoming increasingly tight within early years I suppose this is a better way to do it than just give out stuff willy nilly

kerry1
24-06-2011, 02:07 PM
the lady said they are ringing around the people on waiting list and asking questions about pets?? house etc?? if you do not meet standards then yu can not go any further......

i know i have nothing to worry about but it all seems a bit strange..

sarah707
24-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Maybe like Pips says they are making sure those who cost them money for paperwork and training are committed to their new business first.

I know in Cheshire East you have to go through a long course before you are allowed to apply to Ofsted and that screens out the ones who are just playing with the idea because you have to be committed.

I hope it doesn't slow things up for those who really want to be childminders :D

Louise317
24-06-2011, 08:12 PM
I did a briefing session, giving me information of what would happen and outcomes, expectations... then sent out what the dates would be for course and asked to respond and pay for first Aid so that starts to filter out people. Then I did the 18 1/2hr course where I think their was 17 people and I think only 5 of us actually Registered with Ofsted :eek:

It was a free course for us, but how much wasted funding on some of the others... I know from next year they are going to charge for the course in our area.

Kezzle
25-06-2011, 05:56 PM
In our area they've just stopped all funding for new potential childminders i was lucky as i was a part of the last briefing sessions they did which still qualified for the funding. They only made the decision two weeks ago to stop.

Are you ringing FIS to book onto briefing sessions etc? I think maybe it is a better way to go about making sure people are commited to it and stop wasting money.