PDA

View Full Version : Garden advice

cockatoos
22-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi there. I'm trying to get everything ready for my pre-reg visit and I'm a bit worried about the garden.

We have a big garden with a patio. The patio is on the same level as the back door, but you have to go up steps to get to the rest of the garden (there is a fence around the patio area otherwise there is a metre drop).

Do I have to have a gate at the bottom and/or top of stairs? Or is it acceptable to say that crawling / toddling children will be supervised at all times whilst in the garden? Really don't want them to say that we can't use the garden!

Thankyou!
Amy

littleguy1
22-06-2011, 02:35 PM
As long as the garden is secure and the children can't get out, I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure it's in your risk assessment. The inspector will tell you if you need to take any action. I nearly went batty worrying about my inspection and it was no where near as bad as I thought :-)

HMT81
22-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I agree with Vickx82, just make sure that you have done everything you can to make the garden safe, and put everything else in your risk assessment. xx

catlyn
22-06-2011, 03:39 PM
I have 3 steps from my patio up to my lawn and when I was ofsted inspected(my first graded inspection) Mrs O never mentioned them.....I have put a soft play mat at the bottom just in case anyone accidentally falls down them and mentioned it in my garden RA

cockatoos
22-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Thank you for your replies - you have all put my mind at rest! I will put everything in the risk assessment and buy some soft mats for the bottom of the steps.

Amy