PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh! Closed Road

rickysmiths
21-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Why, why, why do they do it??????

One short length of road between us an dd school. They have had a notice up saying they were going to close it since before half term for resurfacing and plugging of potholes which has needed doing for a year :rolleyes: .

Not as if there has been an emergency that has needed the road to be closed.

It is a key route to several local Primary schools and the local High School from our side of the Estate and for people getting to the M25.

Badly sign Posted and we get to the bottom of the hill at 8.05am to take dd to her last 'A' Level exam, you have guessed it. ROAD CLOSED :angry:

We have to go via the main road which is choca because this side road is closed, I just dropped her off a fraction before 8.20am (normally would have got her there for 8.10 leaving at 8.05)

Then I had the traffic to get back through with parents delivering to me at 8.30am. :eek: Got back home at 8.40 both parents were late thank goodness and don't have a school run this morn.

But why do they do this? Would an hour have really mattered? They could have waited until 9am surely?

It would have made a massive difference to dozens of parents and commuters trying to get to the M25.

Are these peolpe stupid? Gosh I have just given them a mouthful on the phone.

breezy
21-06-2011, 08:23 AM
They just dont think do they? :(

christine e
21-06-2011, 08:26 AM
cos they get a kick out of seeing people suffer:D

Cx

rickysmiths
21-06-2011, 08:35 AM
cos they get a kick out of seeing people suffer:D

Cx

Wish I could make them suffer! :laughing: :laughing:

Maybe I could move the ROAD CLOSED signs so they can't get home :rolleyes:

sarah707
21-06-2011, 05:33 PM
I hope your dd's last exam went well! :clapping:

jayjay1963
21-06-2011, 05:38 PM
We are very lucky in this area. Any work that needs doing near any of the schools is done between 9 and 3 so it doesn't impact on the traffic flow during rush hours:)

My sympathies to anyone affected at the moment especially with the GCSEs going on!

Jacqui

rickysmiths
21-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Yes I think so Sarah. I haven't seen her yet!! It was her last one so she took herself off into London for a mouch around and so shopping.

She is page turing for her dad while he plays the piano tonight at his schools local borough Song Fest. They won't be home until 9-9.30pm. On again tomorrow night as well, but all the music staff go out for a Chinese afterwards and it is the one event I can go and join in!!!

He is one of those teachers that only works 9am-3pm and has 13 weeks holiday :rolleyes:

rickysmiths
21-06-2011, 05:49 PM
We are very lucky in this area. Any work that needs doing near any of the schools is done between 9 and 3 so it doesn't impact on the traffic flow during rush hours:)

My sympathies to anyone affected at the moment especially with the GCSEs going on!

Jacqui

You would think that could be arranged wouldn't you.

They had finished by midday when I brought my ds home from school after his Horn Lesson. Would it have made any difference if they hadn't finished until 1.30 because they started an hour later?

His last GCSE is next mon German and he hasn't any more this week. DD had her last 'A'Level exam this morning.

Now we have to wait for the results :panic:

My neice heard today she got a First for her Degree and she has 3 or 4 job offers so well done her.

sweets
21-06-2011, 05:52 PM
some people just don't think about traffic! lol

i used to work in a little village where the local farmer used to move his cows to the field at 9am every morning! thru the villlage in the middle of the school run when people were trying to get to work.

it gave the kids a laugh tho spec when one the calves made a run for it, i still have the vision in my head of the poor lollypop lady trying to 'herd' it with her lollypop while the whole village looked on! :laughing:

rickysmiths
21-06-2011, 05:57 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That reminded me about an incident last year. A bull escaped from a local farm and went wandering around a small estate were one of my mindees lives down the road. Someone called the Police and one Bobby in a small car arrived first!!! Apparently he took one look, retreated to the car and called for back up!!! I think it was the most fun the Police arround here had for ages, they all had big smiles on their faces that day :laughing:

Ripeberry
21-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Reminds me of the estate I used to live on in my youth. We were on the outskirts of Cardiff and one morning when I went to catch the bus to school, there were three cows waiting at the bus stop!

Real cows mind you :D The farmer came and shooed them away just before the bus came. The worst time was a few years before when some 'latchkey' dogs got together and started to attack people in the street.

They had to close off the road for the dog warden to catch them and the best was back in the early 1990's when someone barricaded themselves into their house (police raid) and smashed through the roof and threw tiles down at the police.
The bus route had to go down our road which is only wide enough for one car at a time!