PDA

View Full Version : Anyone continued learning journeys as children move to school settings?

chrissy4116
21-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm currently a nursery teacher but have taught reception for the last two years. We continued with the learning journeys in reception and they seem to go down very well with parents!

What do you currently include in you learing journeys as I want to compare with how we do ours.

I currently have ages and stages sheets relevant to what the child is working at in the front with evidence in chronoloical order after which include observations, photos, children's work, learning stories etc. We then cross reference evidence to highight statements achieved on ages and stages sheets.

Is this similar to how you achieve your assessments?

BuggsieMoo
21-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Hi, I plan to for the ones who start school this year and tie it in with what the school is planning with them (if they ever respond :mad: ). I will gradually reduce what I do with them as they get older but for at least another year (until after their 5th birthdays) I will continue.

For my older ones, we do photo albums and scrap books and my older older ones get to fill things in themselves such as RA's, plans, diaries etc.

Hope that helps

Lisa x

rickysmiths
21-06-2011, 09:08 AM
It seems similar to they way I do my LJs. We actually have to carry on until the 31st August after the child is 5yrs.

So definately over the Reception year. Even if the child is 5yr in September.

I do think it is a nonsence that childminders have to carry on over the summer holidays following the term the school have completed their profile though. I am hoping this may be one of the things addressed in the current EYFS review. Also that we can tone down our LJ once the child is in full time school.

I have, in Sept, for instance, a new starter after school 4 days a week. He starts in Reception and I have to start a full blown LJ even though I will have him less than 8 hours a week after school when he is going to be tired. I think this is over the top as well.

BuggsieMoo
21-06-2011, 09:39 AM
It seems similar to they way I do my LJs. We actually have to carry on until the 31st August after the child is 5yrs. This is what I meant - mine are both 4 starting school this year so it will be at least another year for me - even though my hours will be greatly reduced with them.

So definately over the Reception year. Even if the child is 5yr in September. :thumbsup:

I do think it is a nonsence that childminders have to carry on over the summer holidays following the term the school have completed their profile though. I am hoping this may be one of the things addressed in the current EYFS review. Also that we can tone down our LJ once the child is in full time school. I am hoping this also - I have a 5 year old (he was 5 back end of last year) so is nearly the end of his LJ with me, but I only have him for 3 hours a week and it is so much work for 3 hours.

I have, in Sept, for instance, a new starter after school 4 days a week. He starts in Reception and I have to start a full blown LJ even though I will have him less than 8 hours a week after school when he is going to be tired. I think this is over the top as well. Totally agree!

We then also have the added bonus of we are supposed to share information - well Ive shared loads and despite meetings with schools and nursery for my LO's, I am still awaiting their inputs. Thankfully I have logged it all, so if I never get anything, I can show Ofsted that I have at least tried. I also ask the LO's what they are doing and make sure when I collect I make a point of saying what we are doing this month.

rickysmiths
21-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Don't talk to me about sharing info. My local school refused I just had to keep my eyes open and see what they were doing. I have not had a Reception child for 3 years now so it will be interesting to see what they will do this year. Both the children will be new to me in Sept so i won't have an LJ to share with them.

Pre-schools are the same so i just document that I talk to them at drop off and pick up and gleen as much info as I can.

sarah707
21-06-2011, 05:29 PM
I find it very hard to show any evidence of sharing with pre-schools or schools, especially when the child goes into reception class.

however like Ricky says you just have to do your best and document how you have tried :D

miffy
21-06-2011, 05:33 PM
I find it very hard to show any evidence of sharing with pre-schools or schools, especially when the child goes into reception class.

however like Ricky says you just have to do your best and document how you have tried :D

I find this difficult too and I am still waiting for any other setting to approach me :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Ripeberry
21-06-2011, 06:33 PM
My after school mindee is turning 5 in two weeks and she only comes to me for a maximum of 4hrs a week. The school are doing a detailed L.J but despite me asking permission to see it (and parents saying it was OK), they still have not let me :(
So I came clean with the mum and said that from the begining of this year I've hardly got any obs as the child just comes in, has her snack and just plays with my daughter, in the meantime I'm running around after the siblings.
I've told her that before the summer holidays start she can keep the LJ, but there is not much in there, but plenty of photos and art work.