PDA

View Full Version : 17 month help please

newbie1512
20-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Hi all

Hope everybody had a good weekend :)

Ok, so I mind a little boy 17 months and im struggling to gain his attention and do activities with him. Hes very much a free spirit so he gets all the books(usually after I have tidied up):) I really would like to start doing set activities with him ect but he wont stay still long enough. He adores books but wont sit and listen to them, ive even tried acting a story out with him but no joy. He likes animals, so I took him to a farm to see lots and when we got there he had no interest in them. Hes keeping me on my toes :laughing:

If anybody has any ideas i would be very grateful

Asti
20-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Hi,
I'm no expert, and havent started minding yet, but have a nephew who sounds very similiar, although he is 7yrs old now.(hasnt changed much though) I would talk to the parents and find out what they do with him at home. Have you tried any noisy musical instruments with him, or interactive toys? Good luck, im sure someone more experienced will be along soon to help. x x x

missymood
20-06-2011, 04:52 PM
The old pots and pans, water play, bubbles, sand play, dried lentils n pasta I'm a large tray are fun, shaving foam hope that helps:thumbsup:

The Juggler
21-06-2011, 06:17 AM
i would't worry at all. my 2 x 2 year olds love to sit with a pile of books, flick through and 'read' them then move onto next one. They will now at 2 sit and listen to a story if they have a snack and a drink but only a short one.;)

He is so young.

offer different messy activities but just have different 'areas' for him to flit between, role play area, constructin and smallworld and just observe him as he does.

Rather than a structured activity (he is very young to sit still that long) you might find he likes art with wet glue, lots of children find this fascinating, he might not do much but drip it and cover his paper but a great learning experience.

However, it's more likely he's just an active toddler who needs to move all the time:D Lots of outdoor play - have you got a sandpit outside - a great semi-structured activitiy if you add different objects to it.:thumbsup: