PDA

View Full Version : initial assessments

emitchell285
20-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Hello,
l am really hoping to get some ideas on how people do there initial assessments on a new child in there setting including what stages they are at also would like advice on how people document what stage they are at and what goals they are reaching. Does this make sense? thanks

miffy
20-06-2011, 06:56 AM
I have a booklet that I ask parents to fill in about their child and then I make notes during the settling in sessions.

After that I talk to parents to see if there is anything they've seen at home that I haven't.

I put this altogether on a sheet under the 6 learning and development headings with ideas for next steps activities and take it from there

Miffy xx

sarah707
20-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Like Miffy I use a combination of parents comments and initial observations of what the child is doing & saying.

I collect them into a 'can do' type of list so I can look at the Eyfs ages and stages document and work out exactly where the child is and what we can do next to support his learning and development. :D

emitchell285
20-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Does anyone have a starting points form they would be willing to send me? l am really struggling as this is all so new to me. Also how do people document when a child reaches anothe stage? is this put in the childs learning journal? confused or what!